Anyone studied Chinese at a Uni. in Chengdu ?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAnyone studied Chinese at a Uni. in Chengdu ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Coming summer i’ll come to Chengdu for a year to study Chinese. Im planning on studying Chinese at one of the uni’s in Chengdu. I’m still deciding between three universities: Chuan da, Cai da, Minzu Daxue. Is there anyone with experience with the three universities and has anyone gone through one of the Chinese language programs at them ? I know location wise Chuanda must be the best, then Minzu and after Caida. But Caida is the cheapest one and has a not as many foreigners as Chuanda has. Housing is also more expensive at chuanda than at Caida. Can anyone please tell me more about housing, quality of education, overall campus sphere and please do correct me if ive made any misassumptions above.

Participant

I haven’t actually studied at a uni in Chengdu, but I’ve been in the Minzu Daxue Chinese studies building and it looked really nice. The staff there were helpful and tuition fees also seem reasonable – I live pretty close to the campus so I’m a bit biased on the area, but I do think it’s a fun, interesting place to live as you’re in amongst Chengdu’s Tibetan population, lots of cool restaurants and shops etc. A friend has just started studying there so I can keep you posted on how the actual classes are.

Participant

I haven’t actually studied at a uni in Chengdu, but I’ve been in the Minzu Daxue Chinese studies building and it looked really nice. The staff there were helpful and tuition fees also seem reasonable – I live pretty close to the campus so I’m a bit biased on the area, but I do think it’s a fun, interesting place to live as you’re in amongst Chengdu’s Tibetan population, lots of cool restaurants and shops etc. A friend has just started studying there so I can keep you posted on how the actual classes are.

Participant

As for now, im leaning more towards Caida university because its way cheaper than all the others. Its because they can grant me an scholarship which leaves me almost paying nothing each semester. But i still need to figure out quality wise which uni is nice. So if you could keep me updated on that Danielle, would be very nice !

Is there anyone who can tell me about the area that Caida is situated in ? Maybe something about campus, is it as lively as Chuanda ? Thats the only campus ive visited extensively (ive trained there) while the others ive just been once or twice.

Participant

As for now, im leaning more towards Caida university because its way cheaper than all the others. Its because they can grant me an scholarship which leaves me almost paying nothing each semester. But i still need to figure out quality wise which uni is nice. So if you could keep me updated on that Danielle, would be very nice !

Is there anyone who can tell me about the area that Caida is situated in ? Maybe something about campus, is it as lively as Chuanda ? Thats the only campus ive visited extensively (ive trained there) while the others ive just been once or twice.

Participant

I’m studying right now at the Southwest University of Finance and Economics. It’s probably not as good as Sichuan University but it’s cheaper and they also offer a scholarship. I was able to study for free the entire first semester. It even covered the application fee. I suggest looking into it. The teachers are good and they don’t make me do a lot of homework, which I like. I’m not earning any sort of degree so I’m not tryin to work THAT hard, if you know what I’m saying

Participant

I’m studying right now at the Southwest University of Finance and Economics. It’s probably not as good as Sichuan University but it’s cheaper and they also offer a scholarship. I was able to study for free the entire first semester. It even covered the application fee. I suggest looking into it. The teachers are good and they don’t make me do a lot of homework, which I like. I’m not earning any sort of degree so I’m not tryin to work THAT hard, if you know what I’m saying

Participant

Are you doing the Chinese language program ? Im also not in it for a diploma but i’d like to do an HSK test when i finish. My target level is HSK lvl 5. My spoken chinese is ok, i speak it at home, but i cannot read nor write. You think the classes at Caida are serious enough to work on that ? I know an old teacher there who told me caida can offer scholarships so that the tuition is 400 rmb a semester. Are you living in the dorms ? How is the campus and its location ? I would be nice to hear more info about caida.

Participant

Are you doing the Chinese language program ? Im also not in it for a diploma but i’d like to do an HSK test when i finish. My target level is HSK lvl 5. My spoken chinese is ok, i speak it at home, but i cannot read nor write. You think the classes at Caida are serious enough to work on that ? I know an old teacher there who told me caida can offer scholarships so that the tuition is 400 rmb a semester. Are you living in the dorms ? How is the campus and its location ? I would be nice to hear more info about caida.

Participant

I’m studing at Chuan Da and I quite enjoy it.

I’m not here for a degree, but just do the language program. Yes, there’s a lot of homework (about every 2 days a dictation), but I’m here to learn Chinese and work just a little. For me it especially works, because I’ll just be lazy if there’s no homework.

@ Ye Ming, if you don’t know any characters that might be a bit of a problem. I’m in the elementary class and we have both pinyin and characters, but in our second book (and for all higher classes) there are only characters. But there are a few students in the same situation and they follow the comprehensive classes in their own level (intermediate I think) and the reading/ writing/ listening classes in my elementary class. Talk to someone at the overseas student office and see what they can offer you.

I think it might be a good option to first study with a private teacher. Then you can focus a lot on the characters and once you catch up enroll to the uni or continue with a private teacher. It doesn’t need to be very expensive if you look around.

Participant

I’m studing at Chuan Da and I quite enjoy it.

I’m not here for a degree, but just do the language program. Yes, there’s a lot of homework (about every 2 days a dictation), but I’m here to learn Chinese and work just a little. For me it especially works, because I’ll just be lazy if there’s no homework.

@ Ye Ming, if you don’t know any characters that might be a bit of a problem. I’m in the elementary class and we have both pinyin and characters, but in our second book (and for all higher classes) there are only characters. But there are a few students in the same situation and they follow the comprehensive classes in their own level (intermediate I think) and the reading/ writing/ listening classes in my elementary class. Talk to someone at the overseas student office and see what they can offer you.

I think it might be a good option to first study with a private teacher. Then you can focus a lot on the characters and once you catch up enroll to the uni or continue with a private teacher. It doesn’t need to be very expensive if you look around.

Participant

I’ve never heard of Ciada so I have no idea. But I know that not being able to read can make the experience really frustrating. They’ll likely put you in the beginning classes where you will feel bored because you can already speak. I was in a similar situation for the first couple weeks because I could speak more than I could read. My advice would be to learn to read as much as you can now. There are a lot of helpful apps for learning characters.

Participant

I’ve never heard of Ciada so I have no idea. But I know that not being able to read can make the experience really frustrating. They’ll likely put you in the beginning classes where you will feel bored because you can already speak. I was in a similar situation for the first couple weeks because I could speak more than I could read. My advice would be to learn to read as much as you can now. There are a lot of helpful apps for learning characters.

Participant

@ Rachel, Cai da should read xi nan cai jing da xue, which should be the uni you’re in, right Rachel ? From what i experienced the locals call it cai da ? Is it at SWUFE possible to attend different classes for speaking and reading/writing ?

@ Vincent, nice to see another Dutch student around. Hows the environment like around Chuan Da with fellow (foreign)students and how are the dorms ? Im most likely only coming for a year and then head back to Uni in Holland after. So my only reasonable option i see is 2 semesters at one of the Universities. Can you take private tutoring at Chuan da if you like ?

Participant

I got my own apartment, so I’m not staying at the dorms. I don’t know how the dorms are like, but I believe they just finished renovating the ones at the east gate where most students live now. I don’t hear many complaints about it in class, although it seemed to take a week or two to get the internet up and running.

Do you mean if Chuan Da offers private tutoring or do you want to tutor some students yourself? Anyway I don’t think the uni offers tutors, but if you walk/ask around it’s very easy to find a tutor. Either at the uni or elsewhere in Chengdu.

Ps. where will you study in Holland?

Participant

I meant if Chuan Da offered private tutoring. But alright good to know.

Ik weet nog niet waar ik ga studeren, Rotterdam of Leiden wellicht.

Hi,

I am writing this from my room in Caida and I can definitely say that its Chinese studies are great! Been studing here for 6 months now and though the location is not so great, the main bus station JINSHA in a minute away and really easy to get anywhere in Chengdu.

The teachers are wonderful and very helpful. I am really glad I joined here. I am sure the other Uni’s are also good but for the price and quality of teaching, you cant beat Caida.

Rooms are 500/800 Yuan per month (Single) (2 Types)

If you need more info, just let me know.

All the best !!

Hanif

Keymaster

Classes can yield great results, but only if you really take advantage of them. A lot of students at Uni in Chengdu only show up to half of the classes and generally half ass it, and this doesn’t yield a great result. Then there are other students who are diligent and enjoy the formal challenge and progress really quickly. If you’re the former, by all means do it, but if you’re the latter, there are probably better/cheaper ways to learn Chinese. Formal study is suited to a certain type of learner, which I assume by now you have figure out which you are 🙂

If you have an iPhone, read this: Studying Chinese with an iPhone

Participant

Hey guys….Does any of these universities have classes during the weekend?

Chuan da is the best, I think

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.