Apple Resolves Diaoyu Islands Dispute!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionApple Resolves Diaoyu Islands Dispute!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

On a lighter note, the Apple fans on the forum won’t be supprised to hear Appple have resolved the Diaoyu Islands dispute with their new maps app.

diaoyu-dispute.jpg

..this was shared to me, I can’t verify.

Participant

oh… apologies for the dimensions… again… what is the correct width?

hahaha if this is real, I love it.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    oh… apologies for the dimensions… again… what is the correct width?

400px. Already fixed though, I made an Automator script that resizes and uploads it in a few seconds.

Quote:
    Already fixed though, I made an Automator script that resizes and uploads it in a few seconds.

oh you fancy, huh?

Participant
    Quote:
    Already fixed though, I made an Automator script that resizes and uploads it in a few seconds.

That’s good. thx. can anyone use that?

I also (now) found http://www.uploadhouse.com/ that hosts and re-sizes in one.

Keymaster

Just tested this on my iPhone with iOS 6 (Apple maps) and the diplomatic solution to the Diaoyu dispute remains unresolved. I was ready to join everyone else in cursing Apple maps, too.

diaoyu-maps.jpg

Quote:
    That’s good. thx. can anyone use that?

Not the way that it works currently, but that’s actually a good idea. What I would eventually like is an “Add image” button on the forum where you select an image and then it automatically uploads it and reduces the width.

Participant

Yeah it seems to be a saga, depending on which version of hardware/maps you’ve got. I notice yours is AutoNavi. The guy I got the post from is getting maps from TomTom for some reason. Strange

Participant

I read that Apple’s contract for maps in China is AutoNavi, but it is TomTom in the US. However, some in China are still getting the TomTom maps.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I read that Apple’s contract for maps in China is AutoNavi, but it is TomTom in the US. However, some in China are still getting the TomTom maps.

Although a lot of people have been complaining about the new Apple maps, they seem to work perfectly for me so far. The only annoying thing is the AutoNavi watermark in the corner which is obnoxious.

I think it might show more detail than Google maps did though:

apple-map.jpg

Participant

I’m 99% sure mine is nothing like yours. I don’t think there were any labels for any places & no Chinese characters for street names. I must have the TomTom maps. I couldn’t even get walking or driving directions straight up Renmin Nan Lu. And, I tried to switch to the public transport directions & it sent me to the app store to buy an app. 🙁

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m 99% sure mine is nothing like yours.

Sorry to hear that. I don’t think this includes transit directions, but it does show the subway line and even individual exits. Maybe it makes a difference where your phone comes from? Mine is an iPhone 4 that I got in October 2010 on contract with China Unicom. I upgraded to iOS6 yesterday on the device, not using iTunes (I noticed that the install sizes were different – no idea why).

Participant

Actually, I just got back to my phone & turned it on & went in to the Map. It loaded the last aerial view I had been looking at & then flashed & loaded a different map of the same area & then overlaid it with Chinese labels. I switched from satellite to map & now it does have the AutoNavi logo. Don’t know why it took so long to switch, but oh well.

I tried the directions again & it will only do driving directions & then only occasionally. Most of the type it just says map server unavailable.

Participant

I just upgraded my iPad to iOS6. I noticed the maps were the TomTom’s so I zoomed in on the islands & did in fact find 2 sets of them like in the OP.

Keymaster

I stumbled upon this blog post today which points out how improved maps in iOS 6 are: iOS Maps and China

As soon as I upgraded to iOS 6 maps I immediately noticed that there were a lot more locations listed on the map, and each with a small icon. An improvement over the previous maps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.