Average Salary in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAverage Salary in Chengdu

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Avatar photoYNQ.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Was curious and did some research on Baidu. Thought I’d share.

http://salarycalculator.sinaapp.com/report/%E6%88%90%E9%83%BD

4600/month. I’m guessing this means all industries (newspaper survey of over 90k respondents). I thought it was interesting that UI designers ranked at the top of this survey and management positions are just slightly above average.

A Foxconn assembly worker: 2,500/month
    A Huawei hardware engineer: 11,050/month
    Software engineers: 4,500/month
    HR professional: 6,268/month
    Telemarketer: 2,972/month
    Sichuan University professor: 11,745
    Sichuan University English teacher: 6,600

When only including white collar jobs, the avg salary is 6850/month (up from 6402/month in 2016). Chengdu ranks 17th in China with Beijing at first and Harbin last.

city ranking

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

I’ve worked at Chuan Da. In one car park you’re seeing a lot of seriously expensive luxury cars (BMW 7’s / Range Rovers etc.). The professors are notorious for the “supplementary” incomes they earn.

Keymaster

No kidding, this is really interesting. I thought that average income in Chengdu was lower than this, to be honest. 6500 for white collar jobs sounds about right. That is a livable wage here. Thanks for sharing this.

Also notice that 50% of workers make less than the average.

I’ve worked at Chuan Da. In one car park you’re seeing a lot of seriously expensive luxury cars (BMW 7’s / Range Rovers etc.). The professors are notorious for the “supplementary” incomes they earn.

are the supplementary incomes “gifts” in exchange for favors or are they from something else?

Participant

The way it was explained to me was that the professors (in some disciplines more than others) have extensive business connections that enable them to make large amounts of money. One example: a student was a major in polymers (plastics i guess?). Her professor assigned her and some classmates numerous “group research projects” in which they would analyze different polymers for things like durability, weight, heat sensitivity etc. Only some students were given these projects and they were never graded on them. The students were convinced that an outside company was paying the professor for this research. Students were not even particularly angry or disappointed about this arrangement. They basically explained it as “what are you gonna do? Refuse the professor? Report him?”

Participant

The way it was explained to me was that the professors (in some disciplines more than others) have extensive business connections that enable them to make large amounts of money. One example: a student was a major in polymers (plastics i guess?). Her professor assigned her and some classmates numerous “group research projects” in which they would analyze different polymers for things like durability, weight, heat sensitivity etc. Only some students were given these projects and they were never graded on them. The students were convinced that an outside company was paying the professor for this research. Students were not even particularly angry or disappointed about this arrangement. They basically explained it as “what are you gonna do? Refuse the professor? Report him?”

that’s kind of sad.

getting mad might not be the best way to go about it but still, I’d feel really upset if I were such a student

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.