Banking Help?

HomeForumsIn ChengduBanking Help?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

Having just sold half of my earthly belongings on Craigslist, I know this is going to come off really scammy. BUT I’m trying to register for the GRE (the test you have to take for grad school), which is on December 4th. Of course, China being China, the process is absolutely insane. Apparently I need a Chinese bank account with ICBC, Bank of China, or Merchants Bank to pay for it.

I tried to get a bank account with one of them but can’t get their online banking because I don’t have my residence card yet (I literally moved here 2 days ago). Could anyone help me out? If you bank with one of those three banks, I will literally give you the cash (or PayPal you, whatever works best) to help me sign up. I’ll also buy you a drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic, your choice). I’m looking to do this Sunday if possible.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or think you can help. If I knew it was going to be this hard, I would have taken the test in the U.S. before I came…

Participant

Are you sure they don’t accept Alipay(支付宝) for payments? I don’t think I’ve ever seen an online checkout that doesn’t accept Alipay. If it’s paid by money transfer then you could do that using an ATM.

Participant

Yeah, only if you take the GRE in Taiwan or Hong Kong do they take Alipay. For mainland China you have to go through one of those 3 banks.

Participant

Ouch. I’ve never had to use Internet banking so lost the device long ago. Afraid it’s same for most people here. Can’t help, sorry.

Participant

Even if you open an account with a Chinese bank then you still need to install their online banking on your computer. A friendly employee at your local bank will probably do this for you but you will have to operate it in Chinese. I gave up at this stage since translation programs can’t handle translation even if a translation actually made sense. You will find that PayPal will also cut you off in due course if you try and use your overseas PayPal account with a Chinese ISP.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.