Basketball anyone?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBasketball anyone?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey I got a nice half court on the 8th floor of my gym, open, empty. Good for 3v3 or 4v4. Trying to make it a regular gig.

Interested. What area?

Participant

I’d be down if it is close to the Sichuan Normal University area.

Participant

Ok Pm me your numbers. I have a map here of the options I know of. Benjamin Lee dude your option has been labeled “wack” due to the distance, but you are free to dispute that label.

Hey new to the forum but I’m totally down for some bball! When and where?!?

Participant

yeah, i’d love to play some ball, ive been trying to find s regular game as well as an indoor court so i can keep playing through the winter… where is this place?

Participant

Check the map linked above. Saschas gym and the first ring road gym on the map are the best imo. The first ring road is indoor too

How did you make that “my places” map.

Can you also access that from your mobile?

Anyone down for some ball on Thursday?

Participant

go to google maps, myplaces and “create map” they’ll be saved under your gmail as my places, so every map you do is saved in one place. Can you see the great wall on on my places? had fun with that one,Yes I am down thursday, around 2pm or so. which court?

Dang got work until 7, 8 PM every day…

Participant

I will be at my gym (see map or call 18621…..738…..730…..) shooting baskets starting around 7pm on Thursday (tomorrow). Come thru!

Im out. Got asked to judge a speech contest at 7 tonight.

did you guys ball yesterday? how was it and when’s the next meet?

did you guys ball yesterday? how was it and when’s the next meet?

Participant

Hey ya’ll. 1 week in China. English teacher. Used to ball regularly in Chicago. I PM’d my number to Sascha. I hear you can use Sichuan gymnasium for a meager 10 rmb. In any case, I live in Wuhou so all that shit’s pretty close to me. So I’m down. I didn’t bring my air jordans here for nothin.

Quote:
    I didn’t bring my air jordans here for nothin.

lol. I hope we get a regular thing going. which jordans do you ball in? just curious

Participant

I found this forum post on gochengdoo.com i think before I even came to China. I can’t place some of these spots on a map, but here they are anyway:

3. Sichuan University Huaxi Campus
四川大学华西学院篮球场
Courts are located just inside the Renmin Nan Lu entrance, on the left, surrounded by a chain-link fence. Unlike other university-court complexes this one is in fairly decent condition. On the eight full courts, tilted backboards and bent rims are scarce, and all hoops come with nets. The only objectionable characteristic is that some of the court underneath several of the baskets has begun to chip away, leaving divots ripe for tripping upon.

If one comes early in the morning the only souls around are a friendly caretaker and his wife—though driving onto the court with your e-bike is likely to garner a tongue lashing. Ballers don’t tend to show up until after lunch, so if you looking to shoot around by yourself, come early; if not, you’re likely to find yourself being asked to join a pickup game. Skill on the court varies from people like me who might be deemed by some as “not horrible” to players who can drain threes at will.

2. Small Hidden Court
紫荆小区篮球场-紫薇东路与紫竹南一街
Tucked deep inside the Zijing neighborhood atop the “T” of Ziwei Dong Lu and Zizhu Nan Yi Jie is the jewel of Chengdu’s courts. The court possesses a sole basket, concrete replete with lines and is enclosed in a 12-foot chain-link fence. The court is kept under padlock during off hours; it opens at 7 a.m., locks up at noon for nap time, reopens at 1, and finally closes shop at 8 p.m. As a part of a small park frequented by Zijing’s aged and elderly the court boasts few poor qualities and a quiet atmosphere for play.

In the early mornings the court tends to be filled with middle-aged men playing a classic style of ball with hard checks and an abundance of passing. The later afternoon will see boys from local hair salons wearing black skinny pants and sporting ’80s style glam-rock hairstyles chucking balls to and fro. If you’re lucky, a couple ballers will rock up and you’ll have a game, but my suggestion would be to round up a group of friends and enjoy the tranquility of this court.

1.5 Nike Chengdu Sports Basketball Park
耐克成体篮球公园
The Nike-sponsored park behind the Chengdu Stadium on Renmin Zhong Lu (Houzimen, north of Tianfu Square) is rumored to be one of the best in town. The courts opened last summer, and there is an RMB10 fee for using them. I haven’t been, but a guy I play with believes them to be the best, after the Sichuan Gymnasium courts.

1. Sichuan Gymnasium
省体育馆篮球场
It’s pretty difficult to miss the Sichuan Gymnasium, given that it has its own subway station, but if you’re unsure of its whereabouts, it is the large gray sports complex on Renmin Nan Lu just south of the First Ring Road. The courts are hidden on the complex’s western side: If you walk around the building, past the badminton building, around the old women moving in a slow motion and then down a cast-iron staircase, you’ll end up at its doorstep. After paying the 10-yuan service charge, you’ll have free reign of the complex’s three full courts. The courts are what one would expect if you were asked to pay 10 yuan: beautiful court, bright lights, and solid rims.

Bring your game—the people frequenting the gym have skill. There isn’t much to say beyond that. If you’re a decent player looking to improve or a gamer, the only place in town that combines quality facilities and play is the Sichuan Gymnasium. “Y’knowwhatimean?”

Yo Sasha, we used to have a pickup game at that gym on 1st ring right by comp. city. We had a lot of fun games going there for a while on Sundays, but the crowd kinda disappeared. If you got a group together I’d be down to play there, Thurs nights would be good. I’ll still jump at the chance to play on an indoor wood floor, the game just feel crisper there than playing outside.

Participant

Haha, sorry I took so long to reply. I couldn’t get the map to work (I just figured out it works best with the vpn on) so I just assumed I was really far away. Your “wack” label seems fitting though. If you guys find an indoor floor I might come. I also have a pair or Jordans that are collecting ridiculous amounts of dust.

You are right about the babes at SNU btw, haha.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.