Beggars: What Do You Do?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBeggars: What Do You Do?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Momma always told me to give once a day, however much you feel is is right. So that’s what I do.

Do you interact with beggars in Chengdu? Do you trust beggars here? Everything I’ve ever heard from Chinese people about beggars is dripping with suspicion.

(Inspired by this article on Foreign Policy about urban poor, con artists, social security, and social reactions. Good read.)

Participant

I dont do it daily but from time to time i spare what i can, but i dont interact with them since i cant speak chinese.

Keymaster

I have a personal policy regarding beggars.

If someone is doing some kind of performance, I will almost always leave a donation. If the performance is good, I will leave a generous tip (up to 100 rmb depending on how rare or special the performance is). I especially like people playing traditional Chinese instruments.

If someone who has all their limbs and fingers intact is just begging, I will usually not leave anything. The same usually goes for disabled people begging, because I would like to not promote their sense of victimhood but rather play a part in encouraging them to do something good.

When it comes to begging, I’m basically only willing to contribute money if it involves some form of creativity or beautifies public space. Sometimes you see people doing street calligraphy on scrolls or on the sidewalk with water, I love those and will always leave some money when I see that.

Participant

Well my approach to this topic is a bit different.

In majority of the countries the taxes are quite hefty (by taxes I also mean obligatory health and social insurance etc.) so everything what is supposedly, partly or fully, for free (education, health treatment etc.) is actually not free at all but you pay for it in your taxes.

In my opinion if the government takes from people money in order to ‘take care’ of these people so this government is also taking over the responsibility.

In that sense I never understood the ads, quite common in Europe, usually with a small child picture saying that this child has this and that problem and if so and so much money is donated so the problem can be solved. Usually a lot of people donate money to solve this particular child problem but I always wondered why this child is privileged over very similar child with very similar problem for which there was no ad (because if there would be ads for all people in need so the society would stop donating completely – the number is huge as the resources are limited but requirements have no limits).

And I wondered how the people, instead of making efficient pressure on the government, shall that problem become the society priority, can live without remorse that they could have helped to one individual case but by doing so decreased the ethical pressure on the government and thus condemned the rest of the people with similar problem to suffering or death.

With beggars I would see it in a very similar way.

And even though the China has very different system from current Europe so I still believe that providing the donations to beggars is a wrong thing to do – it can, may be, help to individuals (irrespective if they really needed such help or not as false beggars in China as well as in Europe are plenty) but it can never bring anything good to the system.

I would even dare to say that providing such donation is anti-human as it postpones the moment when the solution of the problem as such can be reached…

Participant

I don’t see too many beggars.  Certainly not on the scale of Austin or Seattle.    But I usually give the old guys something.  Except once in Gansu there was a muslim guy with his little hat and robe hanging around a sparkling disneyland-castle mosque bothering people for money while they ate their noodles.    Of course he may have been faking it, but that really pisses me off, considering how filthy rich organized religions are.   What’s he gonna do?  Take my money and put it into the mohammad fund?  Go ask your Imam for a handout, buddy.    Besides,  bothering me while I’m eating will never turn out well 😉

Keymaster

And even though the China has very different system from current Europe so I still believe that providing the donations to beggars is a wrong thing to do – it can, may be, help to individuals (irrespective if they really needed such help or not as false beggars in China as well as in Europe are plenty) but it can never bring anything good to the system. I would even dare to say that providing such donation is anti-human as it postpones the moment when the solution of the problem as such can be reached…

This is clear logic, and I tend to agree with you. When I’m paying performers I almost don’t consider them beggars because I feel like begging means you don’t give anything back. I suppose a more clear way to express my perspective is that I’m happy to contribute to buskers (street performers) but rarely beggars.

Keymaster

I don’t see too many beggars. Certainly not on the scale of Austin or Seattle.

Chengdu doesn’t have many beggars actually, even for China. In most other major cities in China you see many more (in my experience). And for sure in the states, especially the West coast, there are tons of beggars. I remember visiting Seattle for the first time a few years ago and being shocked at how many homeless people there were even in the downtown area of the city. Same with Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, etc. In the states the West Coast is more tolerant and accommodating to homeless people, it seems.

Participant

to Charlie,

I agree – I also sometimes give some money to a person playing guitar and singing a nice song – however unfortunately I do not see many such in Chengdu, in Chongqing – Jiefangbei they are every evening on each corner 🙂

to Goatboy,

Actually my absolutely worst experience is from Hong Kong. And not with beggars but with street sellers – those guys who are standing on the street and continuously trying to sell me fake Rolex watches. You cannot get rid of them …

Nowhere in mainland is the situation so bad like there …

Keymaster

And not with beggars but with street sellers – those guys who are standing on the street and continuously trying to sell me fake Rolex watches. You cannot get rid of them … Nowhere in mainland is the situation so bad like there …

So true. A fun game to play in Tsim Sha Tsui where all the Indian suit sellers hang out is to loudly say “Hey my friend here wants to buy a suit, anyone know where he can buy one?” and watch him/her get swarmed. They can be relentless.

Participant

Oh man! I was staying for several days in Tsim Sha Tsui – in the evening when walking on the street this is a horror place …

Fake watches sellers, tailors offering suits and fifty years old ‘ayis’ offering ‘special massage’ …

But thanks for the warning – now I know that to go with you to Hong Kong can become an adrenaline game 🙂

Participant

As a chinese , I probably not to donation monet to them~ I would like to buy some food rather than give money. It’s a good way to protect the real one and figur out if he/she is a fake one.

I was listen the chengdu living broadcast and get to know here. I hope i can give your guys some different view.

Keymaster

As a chinese , I probably not to donation monet to them~ I would like to buy some food rather than give money. It’s a good way to protect the real one and figur out if he/she is a fake one. I was listen the chengdu living broadcast and get to know here. I hope i can give your guys some different view.

I have done this in the states and I think that every single time it has revealed to me that the person begging doesn’t actually want money for food, but for other things. I will venture a guess that it is alcohol or drugs, although that is a presumption.

Thanks for listening and for leaving a comment, Weire.

Participant

revealed to me that the person begging doesn’t actually want money for food, but for other things.

Could be afraid that if someone randomly gives them food it’s laced with some shit or poisoned or something.. not always of course, just a consideration. I remember once in Chengdu of old I approached then soon after was chasing this kid down the street with some fruit from a bag I was carrying in hand like “gei ni ping guo!” when I saw a kid digging around in some trash with literally just food waste smushed up in his hands about to consume it, he ran off rather than take an apple….was really sad, knowing that the kid would be consuming food waste in a place where the food itself is suspect, food waste..damn. I know it wasn’t because he didn’t want food. Sometimes when those beggars come around night time bbq’s begging at the tables or if I see them trying to sneak into a table that has leftovers from people who have left, I’ll ask the owner to buy them some new noodles or rice or whatever and some extra to pack up for later, never been refused – they’re always *super* stoked, and the bosses in my experience even tho previously were generally ‘shooing’ have been obliged and happy to do so and let the homeless people sit and eat. In Chengdu, back in the day at like, “babi” and “mix”, there was always the same group of little kids who would hang out selling flowers, friends and I would always buy them food and they actually turned out to be super helpful in some sticky situations (ala fights and shit) getting all involved and swarming opposing parties. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.