Best Clubs in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBest Clubs in Chengdu

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 129 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,

I wanted to know your best clubs to hang out in the city. Just started to check some places (The muse, the cc, the 1855…) but I’m sure there are a lot more cool clubs to go to !

Cheers,

Guigz

Where are you from? And how do the clubs compare so far?

Coming from the UK where we’re spoilt for choice (when the streets aren’t on fire!), clubs here feel like being wrapped in cellophane, and forced to watch bad sitcoms.

:/

I’m from Paris. Well sure they can’t be compared to ours european clubs (just the fact to see almost only tables & people playing dice was really weird to me at first !) but as I’m with friends we still have some fun when the music is good…well correct at least! 🙂

Keymaster

88 and Muse and so on are novelty Chinese clubs, where foreigners will get lots of attention and free drinks. The music generally ranges from bad to intolerably bad, it’s really loud, and everyone tends to sit around at tables with their personal friends. It’s fun for a while if it’s a new experience but after that, yeah, they pretty much suck.

There are some good bars in Chengdu but as far as clubs, there’s not much that I can really recommend. Xiong Mao (the best club that was in Chengdu which closed last year) is re-opening in a few months and it looks like it’ll be awesome. I visited a few days ago and although it’s still under construction, it’s really large and will have a good sound system. And they won’t play the Gay-American-Club soundtrack which is popular in mainstream clubs here.

Which bars do you recommend (except expats ones) ?

Keymaster

The most fun bars in Chengdu, for me, tend to be those that have some kind of infusion of foreign culture but have a mostly Chinese clientele. For example, Little Bar on Yulin Xi Lu is great and is frequented by a 95% Chinese audience although it’s kind of a hipster rock music bar. Jia Bar and Hemp House are the same way except these tend to be more popular with foreigners and their angle is (or was) reggae music and culture. Lan Town is another in the set of reggae-themed bars that are popular in Chengdu and that place is mostly popular with locals also.

Another cool place to kick it is at Music House (音乐房子) in Yulin Shenghuo Guangchang. They have a few house bands and play good music most of the time but drinks aren’t as cheap there are the other places I’ve mentioned. There’s also Empty Bottle (空瓶子) in the same complex but this is typically a karaoke and multi-performance type bar which isn’t what I’d choose to go out for.

The first place you should check out though for a non-expat bar would be Little Bar, I’d say. That bar is legendary and is a cultural landmark as well.

Thanks Charlie !

Hey there, I’m new to this forum and will be arriving in Chengdu soon to study Chinese for one semester. Since I had been living in Hong Kong last year for about eight months and heard that recently a “Lan Kwai Fong” opened in Chengdu, I am wondering if this is a good place to hang out. Any experiences with that? Cheers Dom

Keymaster

It’s not anything like Lan Kwai Fong in HK Central, it’s basically just a generic bar/club district in Chengdu that’s newly constructed and carries the LKF name. Most of the places there aren’t open air street bars like in HK, they’re normal go-inside bars and clubs that aren’t really connected by anything. It’s well designed and looks nice so I’d say it’s worth checking out, but it’s not anything like in HK if you’re expecting that. I personally don’t know many people who hang out there but I imagine it’s popular with the ambitious 30-something Chinese crowd who goes to the club wearing button down shirts, etc. Since I put it that way I’m making it sound a lot like the real LKF, hahaha…

Participant

Any social lounges? Sick of clubs. Was a bouncer at a club, and it sucked! Last thing i need is loud crappy music blasting when trying to mack to a woman.

@Taihaole:Try to go to the Imperial Family Club, it openned recently, pretty kitsch (fake marble everywhere!)but it definitely worth checking.

“it’s popular with the ambitious 30-something Chinese crowd who goes to the club wearing button down shirts, etc.” I didn’t see that many ! It must depend of the club…

@Charlie: I’d have to refute LKF being ‘well designed’, I’d rather see it described as ‘designed by chimpanzees, decorated/shop fitted by monkeys! 😉

I wonder if anyone here has checked out Feugo Club at the Shangri La? I just looked at some pics of the place, as it’s been designed by a design consultancy here in Chengdu, and actually looks very slick. I’ll definitely be checking it out myself.

And for all you cheese balls out there, CC Club has an Angry Birds promotion coming up… Wowsers!!

Keymaster

Walking around LKF in Chengdu, it looks very nice. Compare it to Jiuyan Qiao, Zijing, Shaolin Lu, or any of the other club districts in Chengdu that proceeded it. It’s miles ahead.

Sure LKF is definitely ‘Chengdu nice’, but my fence of scrutiny is set somewhat higher.

I am a proper fucking snob guvnor, it be true.

Keymaster

innit

Participant

which club in Chengdu, which business owned/run by laowai?

Keymaster

None that I know of. A few years ago a few foreigners tried but failed pretty quickly. There are only foreign owned bars in Chengdu, and there are very few of those, even.

Participant

hope foreigners can make their style in chengdu. I was in Australia, where bars are really crazy/cool….like lol… hehehe

Keymaster

Me too. It’s a risky business to be in though. The club landscape in Chengdu is pretty much constantly changing and no one seems to survive, let alone prosper, for more than a few years.

Participant

my little hometown hard to keep “traditional”: e.g.,here most steak are fake with Chinese style; or they serve decent/professional product or service at first year, and second year goes down…..this is a regulation.

Two elements may involve in issue: first one from customer, with long historical consumption habituate; second one comes from low labor cost, may not stimulate survive or maintaining in second class city as Chengdu.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 129 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.