Best Clubs in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBest Clubs in Chengdu

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Quote:
    I was inspired by the ” who let the dogs in” song that was frequently played in most bars years go. I hope the bars don’t play that again I pray…

Hmm.. It was out not in, if I’m not mistaken.

Participant

@JerryS: Can you tell me one bar or club in Chengdu where, if you frequently go to hunt down easy girls and have unprotected sex, you wont likely end up with a STD? I thought not. Can you tell me a bar or club in Chengdu geared towards “can meet someone meaningful there”? I thought not. Also, can you tell me one bar/club where there isn’t teens to 70’s? In Chengdu, there are no door men letting certain people in, head to any of the popular Chinese clubs and tell me you don’t see a bunch of fat old men and hookers roaming about.. this is just how it is in the city.

@Jazz – they have DJ working there every day. They created a DJ booth that’s on 2nd floor above the dance floor, and have full-time DJ, they paid for a foreigner to go through DJ training and hire her full time AFAIK, and have guest DJ’s some nights. To be honest I haven’t been to a single bar/club in Chengdu where I go “Wow, the music is awesome” — not like Hong Kong or Singapore, where I say that pretty much every night I go out. That’s how the city is. I’d be willing to check out your friend’s club – since I live next to it (城市春天, the new apartment complex across from Ikea) and see how different it is 😀

This thread has taken a turn for awesome the worst. Ask where decent clubs are, get reviews of ‘dogs’, ‘hoes’, and ‘sexually transmitted diseases’.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    This thread has taken a turn for awesome the worst. Ask where decent clubs are, get reviews of ‘dogs’, ‘hoes’, and ‘sexually transmitted diseases’.

You have to expect that when Jellyfish comes up, being the most loved/hated expat bar in Chengdu.

The best club though, is clearly Lingdian on First Ring Road.

Participant

There are no awesome clubs in Chengdu.. so it’s hard to really say. I’ve never heard anyone go to any new bar or club in Chengdu and exclaim “Wow, that place is awesome” — it’s all pretty meh. Regardless of decor or music, I really think the ‘style’ of club-goers here in general makes the supply all the same, lots of tables for people to sit in their little groups playing dice games and mixing tea/whiskey rather than more stand-up room for socializing and dancing, which is what makes bigger clubs in more ‘internationalized’ cities great. The entire club business model is just different – there are tons of them, but none have ‘standards’ ie. doormen allowing/refusing people entry, and no cover charge but instead a theme of selling bottle-or-dozen at rather high prices..and since that’s the standard model here I don’t know how or if somewhere could really change it without massive campaigning or customer-demand.

Quote:
    clearly Lingdian on First Ring Road

Seconded. Actually I used to go there ALL the time, like 8 years ago, get a dozen beers for 100 rmb and get down with migrants on the dance floor 😀

Participant

There are STD carriers everywhere you go! not just in Paname and jellifish. And I believe that most people that have active sex life had std experience.. unless you are a sex free person…

I am worrying that chengdu has too many international bars and it is hard to stop std transporting…

Chinese schools don’t give their students enough sex lessons.. young folks don’t know enough about protections and precautions that they should take and use.

Don’t worry be stoic lol

Participant

The key is to manage your expectations. I really enjoyed a Saturday night at Jellyfish, but then again I was just after dancing and hanging out with friends. It met my needs and Justin Bieber was only played once. I have to admit I love cheese music when drunk though, so that helps. The thing is, the Chinese mainstream music industry isn’t as dependent upon the clubbing industry as it is in the West; Chinese ballads etc are much more suited to the thriving karaoke industry. Massive generalisation, but you get my point.

If you’re looking to meet a nice girl, then I’m not too sure. The girls I saw in Jellyfish and Paname were interesting.

There are always a few scantily clad pretty girls who like to gyrate on their own next to a pole, but what freaked me out was the dead look in their eyes. It was so attention-seeking, but it wasn’t engaging, if you know what I mean? Having said that, quite a few girls seemed nice, so I dunno.

Are there any cases of clubs using fake alcohol over here? I was warned about it when I went out in BJ and SH.

On that note Rick, I have to confess (oh the shame!) of accepting an invitation to ‘True Color’ last week, even though I knew damn well before hand what it would be like, but it was a friend inviting me, so I went. All I can say is ‘Wow!’… That place was rammed with people, tables all buried in bottles (and platters of tomatoes!!??), with a decent sound system knocking out the cheese. I just don’t get it though, there’s no room to move for all the tables, and people are happy to just sit drinking to dice, in between staring into their mobile phones. I lasted 10 minutes in there before my genetic makeup went into shock. Chengdu’s club scene thrives upon those who are willing to drop large amounts of cash for the privilege of (maybe) being seen. This is also what makes it so transient, since everybody shifts to the newest bar/club the moment it opens it’s doors.

Quote:
    Are there any cases of clubs using fake alcohol over here?

You’d be better off asking which clubs do sell the real deal. The majority don’t.

Quote:
    but what freaked me out was the dead look in their eyes

No shit. I got a heavy reminder of this last week. I tried to strike up conversations with 3 different women at the table I was sat at, but it was pretty much a dead dogs crawl past lost.

And someone please explain to me these fucking over sized ‘iris’ lenses so many girls are wearing!! DOES NOT COMPUTE!!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Don’t worry be stoic

I read this to the melody of “Don’t worry, be happy”

Quote:
    Are there any cases of clubs using fake alcohol over here? I was warned about it when I went out in BJ and SH.

Yes, it’s common in Chengdu as in anywhere else in China.

Quote:
    There are always a few scantily clad pretty girls who like to gyrate on their own next to a pole, but what freaked me out was the dead look in their eyes. It was so attention-seeking, but it wasn’t engaging, if you know what I mean? Having said that, quite a few girls seemed nice, so I dunno.

Jellyfish and Paname are meat markets, basically. Best place to pick up a one night stand, no question.

I know what you mean about dead eyed dancers, I could write a small book about that phenomenon. I’ve met hundreds of dancers across China and dated a handful and know all about it. When I first came to China and was dj’ing around the country I met dancers in almost every club I was in. At the beginning I approached them like “Dancing looks like a pretty great occupation: you listen to music, express yourself, get exercise, be sexy every night …” and the response was usually something along the lines of “You think this is cool? I never thought of it that way”. Sadly, they are usually just going through the motions because they have to, not really enjoying themselves at all, but doing it purely out of obligation.

On the broader topic of dancing, this is actually common in China. I used to be good friends with a Chinese guy who was one of the best break dancers in the country about 5 years ago. He told me that dancers in China don’t really feel the music and flow with it, they learn the moves and then reproduce them robotically. Club dancers do the same thing, they can be doing a complex or sexy choreographed routine on stage, but if you look at their faces you will see absolutely no emotion. Chinese DJ’s are the same way. It’s boring as shit to watch.

Participant

I gave my review on Jelly fish and Pan am as STD central, sure ALL clubs has their skanks and hoes, but Jelly and Pan are frequent by foreigners, as being a foreign friendly forum, it should be fore warned. One can go there to dance and have a good time. But when i see old white dudes tryin to get their mack on with girls with has questionable intentions, im pretty much convinced about those venues. Funny thing, i dont go to clubs (use to be a bouncer in clubs living in States had enough of them), maybe you could enlighten us about the other bars that has teens and old geezers whom are going to croak soon. Ill put that on my do not tread shit list. Currently, it’s only 3, Jelly, Pan Am and Shamrock.

But for small bar places; elephant bar, lazy pug, underground, hemp house, and a few more small venues in Yulin. Yet these are not clubs, just good ole bars/lounges.

@Charlie, funny you mentioned about dancing. Was at Hooters (first time ever) Sat night.. Their dancing is… yea…. Has no soul to it. China has long ways to go before they get their funk. Japan is almost there and so is Korea.

Participant

@Brendan

Quote:
    over sized ‘iris’ lenses

They’re attempting to look as anime sex-doll as possible in the hopes they land a part-time boyfriend who can hook them up with free stay in a YuLin pad and a part time loaner SLK…

Quote:
    everybody shifts to the newest bar/club

Since the clubs generally suck and have no list/cover/entry requirements, everyone is hoping to find the “in” crowd – and as more people move to better-known locations it just becomes flush with more and more trash. The unfortunate issue is most every club is following the exact same model, expensive looking decor – overpriced bottle-only service to get a seat – pretty much requirement to get a seat in order to be in the club – and it’s a shitty spiral of just as you said, people hoping to be seen rather than go to actually PARTY…sad spiral. Come to think of it I could be wrong about everything and the club scene has changed significantly, don’t think I’ve been to clubs in Chengdu more than 2 or 3 times in the last *2* years due to the lack of change over the previous 7.

Take the original Babi/Mix clubs from back in the day, look at newly opened clubs, is there really any difference aside from location/name?

Participant

Rick is right about the Chinese clubs…The problem too many clubs and bars in Chengduis investors just open a club without any notice or without thinking how long will it even last, Then it tuned out to be a bad invest then they got into some other biz.

My friend is Co-running the club with some other investors but he is more into music (he is even a jellifish goer at Wednesdays and Thursdays). I would say his club is less boring than the others. And they do not force you to buy a dozen of beers. They drinks are slightly expensive but foreigners comes with friends get free flowing beers. And the shows are not so bad.

I am trying to persuade him to use better djs.

If you are a lonly club goes, here is the address of the club

盛合一路凯单广场对面康普莱斯国际酒店往里走电梯24楼。

Get a taxi to take you to the bus station next to Auchan In front of KFC, cross the street( there is a bus station and a parking sign). Walk through the gate. Ask the security about the sky club( 天空俱乐部)or the hotel front desk about the elevator to 24th floor.

Its not easy to find. I got lost when I went first time. When you walk passing by the hotel lobby( outside) you see an entrance and there is your elevator..

If a group of foreign guest are coming I can show you there, so next time you will find your own way:)

The shows starts 8:30, so if you don’t want to miss something go there about 8:30 or 9, if you go too late there won’t be no shows just club music some Chinese people drinking or playing dice.

Weekends are more busy..

Participant
    Quote:
    I know what you mean about dead eyed dancers, I could write a small book about that phenomenon…Sadly, they are usually just going through the motions because they have to, not really enjoying themselves at all, but doing it purely out of obligation.

That is so sad. I had no idea they were paid dancers, just thought they were bored single girls.

Quote:
    Was at Hooters (first time ever) Sat night.. Their dancing is… yea…. Has no soul to it.

My bf and I went to Hooters once in Beijing. Was a joke and the customer ended up speaking to us instead of the Hooters girl. I could tell that the girls felt really uncomfortable being as objectified as they were.

Quote:
    No shit. I got a heavy reminder of this last week. I tried to strike up conversations with 3 different women at the table I was sat at, but it was pretty much a dead dogs crawl past lost.

Have to admit I am guilty of this too. It’s so difficult to kindly reject a conversation without being too blunt. Meh.

And as for circle lenses, yeah I guess the idea is to give a more youthful and innocent look. Increasing the size of the iris gives the illusion of bigger eyes without having to go through surgery. They are relatively dangerous and for health reasons alone I’m no longer interested in that shizzle. But yeah, Asian makeup focuses on the eyes, and seeing as our eyes are relatively small and undefined compared to the rest of the face, it makes sense that there are products on the market designed to add more intensity to a girl’s overall look.

Quote:
    There are always a few scantily clad pretty girls who like to gyrate on their own next to a pole,

Jeez..that sounds funny..:-D

Never been to Jellyfish but after reading this, I would like to go see how good/bad a club it is.

Participant
    Quote:
    There are always a few scantily clad pretty girls who like to gyrate on their own next to a pole,

Jeez..that sounds funny..:-D

Never been to Jellyfish but after reading this, I would like to go see how good/bad a club it is.

Lol I had a feeling that observation would pique someone’s interests in the club. 😀

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @Charlie, funny you mentioned about dancing. Was at Hooters (first time ever) Sat night.. Their dancing is… yea…. Has no soul to it. China has long ways to go before they get their funk. Japan is almost there and so is Korea.

Exactly. Hooters has some of the deadest dancers around. They’re dancing to Donna Summers as if there’s a gun to their head.

Quote:
    Ill put that on my do not tread shit list. Currently, it’s only 3, Jelly, Pan Am and Shamrock.

I’m with you, man. Chengdu doesn’t have good clubs, but there are good bars.

Quote:
    The entire club business model is just different

Clubs in China are all about face. Spending money to impress people and being in a club because they think it’s the cool thing to do. Ideally with foreign DJ’s, MC’s, and dancers, usually African and Russian. It’s not about music, dancing, or meeting people at all. Which is what most clubs in the West are all about.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I tried to strike up conversations with 3 different women at the table I was sat at, but it was pretty much a dead dogs crawl past lost.

Since they were sitting at your table this might not apply to your particular situation, but…

If you see bored but dressed-up girls sitting at the bar in a Chinese club by themselves, they are probably paid to be there and look available. They’re called 蜜蜂 (bees) and make the club more attractive to single guys. A Chinese friend of mine that DJ’d at Jellyfish a year or two ago told me that they do that there, too. Hire girls to hang out there and look like patrons. There are a lot of clubs that offer these kind of jobs to expats in China – get paid to hang out in a club a few nights a week. Very young and attractive Chinese girls can make a living doing this, going to the same club every night or alternating between a few clubs on a weekly basis.

Participant

Tian Kong Ju Le Bu aks Sky CLub( when u gets off taxi at the bus station in front of KFC Auchan close to ikea, you look up the building(GOME home appliance store) you see big blue beam/flash light coming out from roof top.

If you are a lonely goer, text my friend Hong Hao, 151 1196 5696, tell him you are AJ ‘s frend and you would love to get free beers or cocktails( I am sure beers are not fake). In Chinese or simple English.

And other foreign guests and friends will help you get there at Thursdays Fridays and Saturdays, Sundays.

Participant

RE: Hooters

I had one of the best parties at hooters EVER, in Shanghai. It was with a group of friends – about 12? people, mixed guys/girls, and the hooters girls were a blast.. I’d imagine it was less fun for other tables but basically we had a lot of interactive dancing and drinking games and really, I guess as with ANY bar or club, it’s the group you are with and the type of night you *want* to have together that makes a good or bad night….much more so than the venue or music specifically. If you go to somewhere like Jellyfish and expect to meet deep and interesting people, you’ll likely be disappointed. If you go to Elephant bar or Hemp House and expect to have a high energy dance party, you’ll likely also be disappointed. The bottom line is, no venue can *make* your night great *for* you..

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.