Best Way to Get a Visa?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBest Way to Get a Visa?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just got back from Chengdu after a year there and I’m eager to come back again. Last time I had a year long student visa, but ended up not going to class very much because of my job (work via computer for my company in the US). Is there a better way to get a visa to live in Chengdu for about a year, rather than paying a university to study abroad? I figure there probably isn’t, short of getting married, but figured I would ask.

I just want to live in China, and in return I spend my money there. I’d “study abroad” again if I have to, but wondering if there’s a better way. Work for a company for a couple hours a week or something maybe? Any ideas are much appreciated.

If I get another student visa, has anybody ever heard of anyone getting deported for not going to class often enough? (lol). Serious question though. It didn’t happen to me last time, but wondering if I just got lucky or something. I figure they only care about my money.

Participant

From what I understand, Student visas are pretty much the best long term option. If you’re worried about the cost/time involved in  enrolling in school, you could get a 10 year tourist visa and make visa runs every 30-60 days.

If you go the student visa route, You’ll have to do whatever the school asks of you in order to maintain your visa status. Each school, department, teacher, etc. is going to have different requirements for how to stay on their good side. Some involve being a good student, some are more about paying tuition on time. Chengdu has dozens and dozens of colleges and universities. If you look around, I bet you’ll be able to find something that works for you.

Keymaster

If I were you I would probably get the tourist visa and plan to make regular trips out of the country to get over the 60-day duration issue. You won’t have to pay tuition or worry about school requirements.

With that said I have heard of many people not going to school at all and not having issues with their visa. My understanding is that the most important thing is that you pay on time.

Participant

If you don’t attend to class, the school might cancel your Visa. I  don’t know about Chengdu’s school though, but it happens a lot in Shanghai or Beijing.

If you can get a long term tourist Visa, go for it, but consider you’ll need to go out of the country every now and then to renew your visa.

I have a trustworthy contact in BJ that helped me get my visa (not agency, you pay when you have your visa) that handle business and student visa for you. PM me for his info.

Participant

I’ve been in the same situation for a long time.  I’d love to stay in Chengdu for longer than a tourist visa allows.  (Though only in the warmer months –  I don’t want to stay in the winter).

The ten year visa is only for Americans and Canadians.  It seems like the Chinese Government don’t like the British.  It’s impossible to get 60 day stay visas in the Asian region.  30 days is the maximum – though some cities in China allow you to extend.

I’ve also considered getting a job with as few hours as possible, or studying something.  I even applied for a part-time maths teacher post I saw recently – but nobody got back to me.  But actually – I’d rather find a visa solution that didn’t take up my time with work or study.

If anyone finds a visa solution – let me know.

Participant

I’d rather find a visa solution that didn’t take up my time with work or study. If anyone finds a visa solution – let me know.

I’m the market for a good unicorn pelt. If anyone knows where to pick one of those up, let me know.

Countries give you a visa based on what you’re going to do there. If you want a tourist visa, you’re not going to be there long. If you want a work visa, you’re going to have to get a job. If you want a student visa, you should expect to at least register at a school. Not sure that there’s a “bum” visa yet…

Participant

@Squirrel suit,

Lots of countries have “bum” visas as you put it.  In fact, a Chinese person in the UK, would be able to bum around there longer if they could show the means to support themselves.  Many Asian countries will give you some kind of residency visa if you put some money in the bank.  Between 2001 and 2004, I lived in Australia on a “bum” visa.  (They called it a self-sponsored Independent Executive Visa).  Last year, I got a six month “bum” visa for Taiwan, and it cost nothing.

China used to have a bum visa.  The old F-Visa.  In fact, under the F-Visa, you weren’t allowed to work – and that would have suited me just fine.

Earlier this year I tried a loop-hole that involved working in China, and it didn’t go to plan.  I thought that I did a bit of work at a tech-company in Shanghai with an M-Visa – then I’d be able to stay in China longer, or get a multiple entry Visa.  Unfortunately, I only got 1 entry 60 days.  And by that time – It was all arranged to go to Shanghai.  So, I spent two months there – earning money I didn’t need, at less than the rate I would earn in the West. – and I never got longer in China to “bum” around.

Keymaster

I’ve been in the same situation for a long time. I’d love to stay in Chengdu for longer than a tourist visa allows. (Though only in the warmer months – I don’t want to stay in the winter).

If you come to Chengdu on a 60-day tourist visa we’ll be near winter by the time you’ll have to leave (mid-November at least). If you enroll for university here the tuition will be wasted money since you don’t intend on going to classes, so you may as well put that money toward regular travel to fulfill the tourist visa requirements. Or maybe someone will post here confirming that one or more universities in Chengdu don’t care if you don’t attend classes.

Participant

I’m the market for a good unicorn pelt. If anyone knows where to pick one of those up, let me know.

Hahaha!

Still everything is possible in China is you have the money and/or the good 关系.

I’d rather find a visa solution that didn’t take up my time with work or study. If anyone finds a visa solution – let me know.

Then pay for your visa (Business or Student visa), you can stay as long as you want, you won’t have to go to school nor work and you’ll have the free time you’re asking for.

From my point of view, register to a school just for the visa, without attending to class is really risky. The school could report you to the authorities at any time, and you don’t want to end up in this situation…

Participant

@Charlie,  I’m picking up my L-Visa tomorrow.  Yes.  I was in Chengdu earlier this year – then I wasted time on the Business Visa Shanghai experience.

I’m planing for next year.  Maybe if I visit the UK, I’d get a better deal applying for an L-Visa in my own country.  Has anyone got an L-Visa in the UK lately?  Is it possible to get a multiple-entry visa?  60 or even 90 days per entry?

I wouldn’t mind legitimately doing a Chinese course – maybe if it was one afternoon per week – stretched over 6 months – and eligible for a student visa.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.