Bicycle Security

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBicycle Security

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How dumb would I be to lock up a bike at a bar area at night? Some areas look safer than others, but lets say Kehua Rd area. My ride is a good used american-made mountain bike.

Participant

It’s pretty easy to find a designated “bike parking” they are usually at bigger shopping centers/complexes with a guard. You pay 0.5-1 RMB and the guy will supposedly watch it for you. I’ve had good luck at these places and if your bike looks nicer, they’ll usually keep it closer to where they stand. Just make sure to ask what time they close.

Keymaster

Read this: 5 Tips to Prevent Your Bike From Getting Stolen

Outside of a bar or club at night I would make sure someone is guarding it, or you have a very good lock and it’s near people.

Participant

Another tip that some couriers passed on to me was to use 2 different types of locks; a u-bolt and a chain or cord lock. The theory was that different tools are needed, and some thieves only carry one type of tool. here, not sure if that’s applicable.

Agree with Justin: be nice to the bike guy, make some small talk, he’s more likely to remember you and watch your ride. The guy we’ve used is awesome; cat’s def getting an xmas bonus from me…

Participant

Definitely use a decent quality U or chain lock, lock your bike to something immobile, and try to find a place either that it isn’t super visible to any passers-by or one that is incredibly visible. And don’t pay any attention to anyone who says you can’t park you bike in a place that allows you to achieve the aforementioned criteria.

Participant

I must be doing something right cause contrary to what most people say I’ve never had my bike stolen in 2 years living in Chengdu.

(And now I probably jinxed it.)

Participant

This morning I went to get my bike at the guarded parking lot at my apartment. The lady (who’s luckily familiar with me) said someone tried to take my bike last night. The person said he was my friend, but of course didn’t have a key. From what I understood he tried to open the lock, but didn’t succeed.

It seems they keep trying new ways.

Participant

Vincent NL: Knowing your past luck with your bike, all I can say is maybe those neon orange rims are catching a lot of attention.

Vincent: I wouldn’t say lucky. Just sensible. Usually people who just pay no heed to the fact their bike may be stolen, have their bikes stolen.

Ray: That trick is simpler than that. Two locks is basic math. It requires twice the time to remove them, even for the most prepared thief. Bike theft is a convenience crime. Overlooked and easy to make off with, it’s a decent value for little or no effort.

Brian: If it’s once in a while you do this, as long as you lock it right it’s usually not a problem. Start doing it’s regularly in the same area then you’re building risk.

Again, I think Chengdu get’s a bum rap for bicycle theft. The only time I’ve encountered theft here it’s because people just don’t take the right precautions. If you care enough about the thing do it right or just carry it in. It’s a hassle but not so much as buying a new bike.

Participant

Vincent, you’re lucky your own key still worked. She doesn’t sound like a very useful attendant, however nice she may be, since the person was still permitted to try to take your bike. I know many people who have had their bikes stolen from “attended” places. There is zero motivation for those people to interrupt a theft seeing as they are not responsible to replace your bike if it is stolen. Just gives a false sense of security.

Participant
    Quote:
    There is zero motivation for those people to interrupt a theft seeing as they are not responsible to replace your bike if it is stolen

They just increased the price for expensive looking bikes from ¥5 to ¥10 per month. But yeah, I’m sure they won’t do anything if your bike gets stolen. She adviced me to buy a better lock and I should have done that earlier anyways. Do you guys have any good locks in the shop? I might come tomorrow afternoon after work to have a look.

Participant

Your paying per month for them to watch your bicycle? You pay rent. Why not just bring it into your apartment?

It already sounds as though the lady wouldn’t be very effective, if say, someone comes with bolt cutters and claims it’s a friend’s bicycle. In this case my recommendation would be to not continue to lock it outside.

Regarding locks we’ve got one heavy duty Abus U-lock, but the price probably nears half the value of your bicycle. We also have a few small chains’ but we recommend only using for quick on the fly lockups.

Participant
    Quote:
    Your paying per month for them to watch your bicycle? You pay rent.

It’s the place in my apartment complex, the people guarding it live there. It’s not one of those places they put on the side of the road.

Quote:
    Why not just bring it into your apartment?

I live on the 7th floor without an elevator…

Quote:
    the price probably nears half the value of your bicycle.

Yeah, that might be a bit much

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Vincent: I wouldn’t say lucky. Just sensible. Usually people who just pay no heed to the fact their bike may be stolen, have their bikes stolen.

This has been my experience also. I’ve had several bikes stole, and from each theft I learned more about what not to do. Those experiences led to me writing that post about how to prevent bike theft. If you take the necessary precautions, I think you’ll be fine in Chengdu.

Quote:
    I live on the 7th floor without an elevator…

I do too, I carry it up every time without exception. My bike is lightweight so it’s not that much of a hassle and I’d rather not have to worry about it at all. When my bike is parked somewhere outside it’s always on my mind to some degree – for me it’s not worth worrying about it when I’m at home.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.