Biking For Kids

HomeForumsIn ChengduBiking For Kids

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

May be moving to Chengdu this summer. Read a lot about people using bikes to get around Chengdu. Also read about crazy traffic conditions. Is it unreasonable to think that my boys (ages 7 & 9) can ride bikes to get from place to place (not just at parks for fun)?

Participant

you have to be with them, and even then, imo you should keep to clear and short routes. Traffic here is dangerous, no doubt about it.

People here are aware that roads are dangerous so MOST will drive real slow, of course the percentage of dipshits who make the road dangerous is still too high. I have been hit twice by a car. when i bike with my boy (3) he is on my bike and I bike very slooooowly.

BUT, there is some good news. Once you get out of the city (Third Ring Road) the biking is great. Wenjiang Green Belt, another couple of green belts south side. Biking out there is great for kids. In the city, I would check it out yourself before you put them out there ….

Participant

you have to be with them, and even then, imo you should keep to clear and short routes. Traffic here is dangerous, no doubt about it.

People here are aware that roads are dangerous so MOST will drive real slow, of course the percentage of dipshits who make the road dangerous is still too high. I have been hit twice by a car. when i bike with my boy (3) he is on my bike and I bike very slooooowly.

BUT, there is some good news. Once you get out of the city (Third Ring Road) the biking is great. Wenjiang Green Belt, another couple of green belts south side. Biking out there is great for kids. In the city, I would check it out yourself before you put them out there ….

Participant

then again local kids bike like mad here, so … maybe the conditions will make your kids pro bikers.

Participant

then again local kids bike like mad here, so … maybe the conditions will make your kids pro bikers.

I’d have to go with you taking extreme caution myself. If they were a little older I’d say let them at it, but only after you’ve spent time riding with them and getting familiar with specific routes. Everyone here knows the traffic is nuts, and then you ride a bike for the first time and it’s magnified to level ‘insanity’! Car coming at you in completely the wrong direction? Normal.

I’d have to go with you taking extreme caution myself. If they were a little older I’d say let them at it, but only after you’ve spent time riding with them and getting familiar with specific routes. Everyone here knows the traffic is nuts, and then you ride a bike for the first time and it’s magnified to level ‘insanity’! Car coming at you in completely the wrong direction? Normal.

Participant

Thanks! I guess we will wait and see. Probably will just get bikes for fun. We will probably be living downtown.

Participant

Thanks! I guess we will wait and see. Probably will just get bikes for fun. We will probably be living downtown.

ebikes are much more dangerous than cars in my opinion. People ride these silent killers around, not paying much attention, and are much more likely to be heading towards you in the wrong direction, making unpredictable, wild maneuvers. I’ve been hit by ebikes several times already, knocking me off a couple of times.

Beware the ebike at all times.

Quote:
    People ride these silent killers around, not paying much attention, and are much more likely to be heading towards you in the wrong direction…

Ha Ha! Totally, but then I’ve bumped more than a couple of these f*****s out of of the way with (so far) great success. I’m not trying that with a car, though beating my fist on a drivers side window is next level therapeutic.

Participant

You just show the driver the key in your hand. He gets the idea pretty quick…

Participant

And here I thought there would be NO excitement in Chengdu….just pandas and tea houses. Ray, I will give you and your key a wide berth no matter how I decide to travel.

Love this forum. Y’all are great.

Participant

Apologies if this is a bit stale but the aforementioned remarks are all accurate. If your boys are as rambunctious as I as at their age they’ll probably love riding around, however, supervision is definitely recommended.

Cycling is China is one of its great secrets, and although the city’s a bit rough around the edges for a cruise, I think you should be fine if you run them through the pace by pace of how traffic works (or doesn’t) here.

Additionally, sourcing up particular routes outside city center such as the Chengdu LOHAS Greenway will give you a good opportunity to ride with the boys and get some exercise.

Participant

One thing to be aware of with the ebikes is that while they are very zippy on flat or smooth surfaces, they lack any real torque, and are heavy. This means that as soon as there’s a pothole, curb or rough stuff they come to a sudden, unexpected, sometimes dead halt. In the early days i often rear-ended them. These days i kinda anticipate their stopping a little better…

Rambunctious lol. I’m with Sascha that u have to start them slow and carefully but given time they will prob pick up the local style and be all pro. It’s a good habit to have eh

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.