Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBrazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Hi All, i’ve heard about somebody named “Jerry” who is involved in teaching brazilian jiujistu in Chengdu? Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding his contact details or knows of any opportunities for training or teaching BJJ. I’m a brown belt in BJJ with 7 years of training and competition experience and i’m looking for some training partners or opportunities to teach BJJ (i’ll arrive in Chengdu in February) Thanks!

Participant

Come train. I am head of the bjj scene here, also brown belt, 11 years exp. 3 blue belts and rest whites. Can’t really get better training with whites and blues, but the core group of guys here are getting better.

PS: It’s my future goal to make BJJ a huge thing here, aka, ill be here for many many years :).

the man himself! thanks Jerry, i’ll pm you

Participant

On a side note Jerry: Have you managed to find/make a decent martial gym? Im struggling to find a place to train at the moment, so if yours is close i want to give it a try.

Participant

I teach at 2 diff gyms. We are looking for another place. Hopefully i will strike a deal with a dance studio for a long term location. But at the moment, one location is at the karate studio and the other is at 25 hours.

Keymaster

I’m down to join for some no-gi action. That happens on Sunday, right? Can you post the address Jerry?

Participant

成都长顺中街98号少城府邸3楼, 30 Rmb per class Wends night.

Probably next month or Feb there will be another class added. Right now for no-gi MMA/BJJ, it’s just Wends nights 7-9pm. The first 30 min are grueling crossfit style workouts, then boxing/mma/muah thai for another 30. Next 30 min are me teaching No-Go BJJ. Last 30 min we just roll. Average is abotu 10-14 students, quite packed for a small space.

Not bad, 2 hours for 30 rmb, can’t beat that!!!

Keymaster

Great, thanks for the info!

Quote:
    The first 30 min are grueling crossfit style workouts, then boxing/mma/muah thai for another 30

Yo man, I think you mean “muay thai” unless you are talking about blowing kisses

Participant

heh yea, spelling isnt my forte.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    heh yea, spelling isnt my forte.

It’s cool. I expect to be choked out for correcting you if/when we spar. I made several comments about how BJJ looks gay at gyms in the US and paid dearly for it.

so we can just pay 30rmb for each wed. night we come?

what is the address of the location?

Participant

成都长顺中街98号少城府邸3楼

Yes 30 RMB is due after class.

We will not meet this coming Wends, due to holidays (i am saddened by this, i want to train). Last Wends we did circuit training, with a small group (6-8 peoples), the training can be more intense.

The last class for 2012 will be held this Sunday at 25 hours, 11-1 PM.

25 Hours Fitness Club

25小时健身俱乐部成都青羊店

Guangda Guoji Mansion 4th Fl., 2 Caoshi Jie, Chengdu

成都草市街二号成都光大国际大厦四层

Most likely will go out to eat after class, as a group.

ok thanks:) i plan to study in chengdu, so hopefully arrive end of Feb.

what gear is needed for the class?

Participant

shorts and tshirt for men, women, sports bra and shirt over it, for pants, running long tights and shorts over it. I do the same, minus the sports bra, i dont think they make it for dudes…

Like the guy in the red or to his left.

But my gear is similar to this:

gi.jpg

haha k thx, no gear for the other muay thai or boxing like gloves or that kinda gear?

Participant

sure bring those. Not at the level yet, but bring gloves and wrap for Wends, if you have a Gi, then that on Sunday.

Participant

Heads up for those who are still following this thread.

There will be one more class added per week, but dates are now changed. The schedule looks like this (effective January 8th 2013);

Tues: 7-9 PM, No-Gi BJJ/MMA at

成都草市街二号成都光大国际大厦四层

Thurs: 7-9 PM, GI BJJ at

成都草市街二号成都光大国际大厦四层

Sunday: 11-1PM, GI BJJ at

25 Hours Fitness Club

25小时健身俱乐部成都青羊店

All classes are 30 RMB, first session is free. That averages about 15 RMB per hour! Come train, OSSSSS!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Sunday: 11-1PM, GI BJJ at

25 Hours Fitness Club

25小时健身俱乐部成都青羊店

I was hoping to do no-Gi but I can’t make it to that location by 7pm on Thursdays. What’s the deal with Gi’s here – do you get them on Taobao or something? Any suggestions Jerry?

Participant

You can train No Gi on sunday’s but its preferable to bring a gi.

You can get a basic gi on Taobao. You mentioned it to me last year (with the Chinese characters), so i searched for it and bought it. A generic one is about 460 RMB. It’s best to get one from the states, since they are higher quality.

Once this club starts picking up, i will find a supplier and try to get my own brand of gi’s. Still 460 for a ‘Koral’ is quite good, not the real thing, but still useable and durable.

As of right now, the average is 10 peoples per class. Not bad after a year with me as head. 2013 looks like it’s going to be a fantastic year for me and BJJ!

My friend has a really good black Gi, price is 800 RMB. Very good Gi, it’s just too big for him and he needs to get rid of it.

Participant

Hi Jerry, are there many women in your classes – of a novice level?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.