Breaking Bad

HomeForumsIn ChengduBreaking Bad

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Anyone else watch this show in Chengdu?

Every week I download the new episode in HD and watch it at my crib with friends. If others want to join and check it out, you’re welcome to. I live in Yulin.

Last night’s episode was the bomb.

mike.jpg

Participant

I download it every weekend too – but prioritize True Blood over it in my watch order 😀 Great show. Just watched ep 2 actually, should be a good final season.

Participant

I lived in New Mexico for a couple years and visited Albuquerque a few times. Though just like in every city, there are cool people who live there, but on the whole the city is really shitty. I haven’t seen the show (though it is pretty high on my ‘to watch’ list), but all my friends who have seen it say it doesn’t paint New Mexico in a pretty light (which is mostly isn’t unless you are in the few nice areas or out in the wild). Just wanted to say this. Plus, is the show that popular among non-Americans? I don’t image meth or the drug wars to be a very relatable thing to Chinese, and it isn’t very popular in Britain either.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I download it every weekend too – but prioritize True Blood over it in my watch order 😀 Great show. Just watched ep 2 actually, should be a good final season.

True Blood? Interesting choice…

This season looks epic, the first two episodes have been incredible.

Quote:
    I lived in New Mexico for a couple years and visited Albuquerque a few times. Though just like in every city, there are cool people who live there, but on the whole the city is really shitty. I haven’t seen the show (though it is pretty high on my ‘to watch’ list), but all my friends who have seen it say it doesn’t paint New Mexico in a pretty light (which is mostly isn’t unless you are in the few nice areas or out in the wild). Just wanted to say this. Plus, is the show that popular among non-expats? I don’t image meth or the drug wars to be a very relatable thing to Chinese.

A few things:

– Watch the show, it is great. These review don’t lie.

– I doubt anyone has ever said aloud: “Albuquerque is awesome!” It certainly does not have a sterling reputation after Breaking Bad, much like Baltimore after The Wire. The sullen corners of it’s local culture (meth and thugs) have been broadcasted around the world to an audience of millions.

– I have a lot of Chinese friends who watch Breaking Bad, but I don’t think it is mainstream popular. Definitely nothing like Prison Break. Then again, I don’t think the Chinese mainstream is ready for Breaking Bad. Shows like Friends and Big Bang Theory are what blow up here, not shows like Breaking Bad or Mad Men.

aint-ready.png

It’s the only thing worth watching right now. The end of season 4 was epic, and season 5 is off to a fantastic start. It’s annoying that they are going to spread the season out over 2 years though; 8 episodes this year then 8 next.

Participant

Great show. Sometimes even too much tension to bear. Check out http://www.salon.com today. Great interview with the creator of the show (no spoilers so dont worry)

Keymaster
    Quote:
    It’s the only thing worth watching right now. The end of season 4 was epic, and season 5 is off to a fantastic start. It’s annoying that they are going to spread the season out over 2 years though; 8 episodes this year then 8 next.

Damnit. I knew there had to be a catch.

Quote:
    Check out http://www.salon.com today. Great interview with the creator of the show (no spoilers so dont worry)

Awesome article.

“I want to end “Breaking Bad” as well as I can possibly end it. But I don’t want to end it a season or two or three too late. I want to go with people wanting more. I’d rather go out with people saying, “You are absolutely out of your mind to be ending this thing now. You’re at the height of this thing, you’re crazy to end it right now.” I’d rather have people say that to me with bewilderment, than to hear people in passing say, “’Breaking Bad,’ I used to love that show. Is that thing still on?” One is far worse than the other.”

When I think about it in this context, pretty much every show that I ever liked went too far, with just a single exception: Arrested Development.

Participant

RE: arrested development, it seems they’re filming 10? new episodes right now for release in 2013, as a lead in to a full movie..

RE: other shows, I also watch Falling Skies, Louie, and a new one I really like is Newsroom. I think Newsroom will potentially have impact on both political climate and news reporting in the US, it’s _that good_.. but that’s a tall order.

Quote:
    I think Newsroom will potentially have impact on both political climate and news reporting in the US, it’s _that good_.. but that’s a tall order.

I really don’t watch much TV at all, but having seen this advertised on HBO has really got me interested for the reasons you quote. Conscious times we’re living in, and cynicism aside I’ve wondered myself if this show just might have the potential to permeate further than its time slot. I’ll definitely be checking it out.

Participant

Me and 4 or 5 other folks do the same thing, download the episode Monday afternoon and watch it every Monday night at a friend’s house near Kehua bei lu. We play drinking games like “drink whenever Jesse uses ‘bro-speak’ (biatch!)” and “drink whenever Mike makes a noise or a face expressing grumbling dissatisfaction” and “drink whenever someone bald comes on screen.”

One of my friends remarked that the majority of the writing staff must be struggling with alopecia. Bald dudes abound.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Me and 4 or 5 other folks do the same thing, download the episode Monday afternoon and watch it every Monday night at a friend’s house near Kehua bei lu. We play drinking games like “drink whenever Jesse uses ‘bro-speak’ (biatch!)” and “drink whenever Mike makes a noise or a face expressing grumbling dissatisfaction” and “drink whenever someone bald comes on screen.”

That’s a great idea. We should meet up, I sent you a PM.

Quote:
    One of my friends remarked that the majority of the writing staff must be struggling with alopecia. Bald dudes abound.

I saw this on Reddit the other day: 10 Reasons Why Being the Hair Stylist on Breaking Bad is Awesome

New episode, Breaking.Bad.S05E03.720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE. I’m hoping we learn more about ze Germans.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    New episode, Breaking.Bad.S05E03.720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE. I’m hoping we learn more about ze Germans.

Downloading now. Highly anticipating tonight…

Participant

have a feeling Walt is going to slip up pretty soon

Participant

The Icarus story kinda gave that away 😀

Participant

On http://www.tom365.com it translates as “drug manufacturing division”. It’s a day or two late with the latest episodes but it never lets me down. This program is magnificent….

Keymaster
    Quote:
    On http://www.tom365.com it translates as “drug manufacturing division”. It’s a day or two late with the latest episodes but it never lets me down. This program is magnificent….

Hahaha, Drug Manufacturing Division. It’s funny how the Chinese language is so well suited to expressing deep things like philosophy and religion but so poor at expressing articles or ideas relating to modern culture. Anytime you translate something cool in English to Chinese, it just does not sound cool at all. I recently translated a Tribe Called Quest song (Phony Rappers) into Chinese and reading it in Chinese it expresses the same things but just sounds not nearly as cool.

Where do you download the BB episodes if you don’t mind my asking?

I liked the new Mad Men. Even more stylish than previous seasons and good character arcs.

Don Draper is the man.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Where do you download the BB episodes if you don’t mind my asking?

I download it on bit torrent since it isn’t available on TV anywhere here. It looks like it’s either that or stream it like Ray does.

Participant

I get my TV from http://eztv.it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.