Bringing an iPhone to Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBringing an iPhone to Chengdu

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all,

I am coming to Chengdu next month to study at Sichuan University, and I have a question about whether or not I can bring my iphone with me.

Here’s my current plan:

1. I am due for an upgrade on my phone, so I plan to upgrade and get the iPhone 5. My whole family is on one contract, so apparently even if we drop my line it won’t be much cheaper a month. So instead of completely dropping my line, I’m going to upgrade and just take out all my minutes and data.

2. Then, I plan to unlock my iphone (apparently it’s cheap to do it on ebay)

3. When I finally get to Chengdu, I’ll buy a sim card there and start using my phone as usual.

Has anyone else done anything like this? I think it’d be cheaper to get the upgraded phone here than to buy an iphone in Chengdu, but tell me if I’m wrong.

Thanks for any and all help!

Participant

I’m not an expert but I think that will work fine. My iPhone is an unlocked one from Hong Kong and it works with no problems.

Participant

Try asking your provider to unlock the phone for you, tell them you will be traveling temporarily. AT&T was cool about it for me.

If you are currently using a CDMA iPhone 4 (w/o SIM slot) then you will definitely need to upgrade.

Participant
    Keymaster

I agree with Brian, I think the best thing you can do is get the carrier to unlock it for you. A friend of mine did this a few months ago, I think he ended up paying something like $20 to get Sprint to do it for him and it was fast and easy.

On Verizon, if your account is in good standing they’ll unlock your phone for international use for free.  I’m not sure if that’s the case for other carriers though.  But you can’t use a Verizon iPhone in China anyways.

Also beware of theft. iPhones are targeted heavily here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.