Registering & Buying on Taobao

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionRegistering & Buying on Taobao

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anybody know the latest about registering for taobao; specifically, registering for their payment system called Alipay? It asked for the Chinese id card #, which I don’t have. Can I substitute any other id #s I have, like a residence permit # or anything?

I also wasn’t able to add money to my alipay account without a Chinese ID.  I pay for stuff on taobao through my Chinese bank’s internet banking.  When you open your bank account they’ll ask you if you’d like to setup internet banking.  The process is different for every bank.  Some will issue you a USB security code generator thing.  Some will give you a scratch card with security codes and SMS verification.

Keymaster

I signed up on Taobao a few years ago with my passport. Unless something has changed, it should work without a Chinese ID card.

Participant

I tried to register bank account payment option on my Taobao but Alipay always refuse my request, so I must check for another way too…

Participant

Screw alipay, its far more trouble than its worth to use for non chinese. Get yourself a chinese bank card (bank of china recommended) and buy all you want.

P.S. For taobao you will want union pay one, not Visa/Mastercard. International ones are Alipay only afaik.

Participant

I think for Alibaba I need have Alipay linked with my bank account… for Taobao I will try your way…

Participant

I have an ICBC UnionPay bank card. Does this mean I can buy stuff on Taobao?

Participant

i had great trouble with ICBC for some reason, YMMV but you can try. After i tried for couple days i simply got a BoC card, worked like a charm (and 3 times less passwords to remember).

Participant

Hey Robert i would say no, unless you specifically asked for it when you got your card, you probably cant do it, just go back to the bank and ask for taobao purchasing level card… don’t forget to bring 20 pieces of ID and a vile of blood 🙂 anything other than deposit and withdraw really confuses them when dealing with foreigners,,,, i hate all banks around the world, but chinese banks have brought me close to my snapping point a couple times 😉 Good Luck!!

Participant

Actually you can use taobao english agent, such us buychina taobao agent.  It is an international version of the largest online store of China Taobao. It provide many payment method. Just have a try. Good Luck!

Not sure why you’re all having such an issue with this.

AliPay did temporarily remove the ability to use foreign ID for verification a few months ago, but have since reinstated it. There is an option within the account management page to add an attached passport image. This together with any UnionPay card/account can be registered and verified within 2-3 days typically. The only thing that is now no longer possible for foreign passport holders is funding of AliPay accounts. Instead you just register and use the AliPay account as a thruway for payment, redirecting you to your bank’s internet banking page.

As for Taobao, I’ve been using it hassle free for over 2 years with nothing more than Google Chrome and a translation plugin (Google Translate). It’s not rocket science ladies and gents!!

Participant

Brendan, my problem for example is the passage of passport – bank account authentication… after 3 days the process always fail!
    Maybe because I’m a mafious italian 😉

after 3 days the process always fail!

I’ve had hassles with authentication (though not half as bad as with PayPal!), but they can be super picky about the bank account details matching your passport if for example the names are not identical.

It’s obviously possible to set this up, or I and others wouldn’t have accounts. Maybe recheck everything step by step and see if you/they missed anything.

Participant

Today I tried another time, I will let you know… if fail another time maybe the support of Alipay can resolve this problem… thanks man!

Participant

Hi Robert.  I can certainly help you with Taobao.  I can help you go to ICBC and get Alipay.  This will allow you to purchase or sell on it.  Or I can do this through my account as we are good friends now.  Thanks,  Mary

Participant

Thanks Mary that would be great.

Participant

I resolved the problem of Alipay, the name that you must give in the certification process must to be the same of your bank contract, but pay attention because is case sensitive!

For example, the bank worker registered me like

SURNAME NAME

if in the process you use

Surname Name

or another name, different from you bank account contract,
    this will be fail.

😉

Participant

I have a ebanking card now but the payment on Taobao is asking me for ID and won’t accept my passport. I’m stuck. Any ideas anyone?

Participant

Hey Robert, I registered my account on Taobao and on Alipay

https://www.alipay.com/

someone said isn’t necessary, but using this way, now I haven’t problems…

Participant

Hey good timing for this question, i just bought my first things on taobao today ( tear in me eye ) 🙂 ya the first set up is a pain in the ass i had to get 2 people to help me, but after that its easy….. make sure your online banking is set up, pay your phone bill on it just to make sure, then when signing into taobao make sure your name is in capitals then your password, then they will send a code to your phone put that in and you should be good, then it will send you to your bank and then password and should be good….. i’m told zhi fu bao is easier, but i’m still having trouble setting that up too ( name not matching ) and your bank should give you a “usb key” for added protection from thieves, but i’m still figuring that part out as well… Good luck!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.