Buying Property: Your Advice and Views

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBuying Property: Your Advice and Views

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Very interesting thread!

A little while back, I had called two property developers in Chengdu (both property under construction) and they picked me up and took me to the location. The price, once we reached there, was almost 50% more than the price advertised on the billboards! The company rep. gave some weird explanation about common-areas being included in the price, none of which made any sense to me! Is that a standard practice?

Also, curious to know what is the actual process to get the title deed (I assume it is done by the government?) and what would be the additional cost as % over the sale price for all of this (tax, fees, etc)?

Participant

1.6 % of total price GOV tax. The advertised price is always the cheapest and smallest apartment in the complex.

Participant

Cheapest, smallest, often not available for purchase, and not including the “shared space” – which is like hallways and other sq’m split between all complexes..varying in amount added to each building. Apartment searching is a frustrating and time-consuming experience for sure..enjoy 😀

Participant

@Ian: Thanks for the information.

@Rick
    : Thanks for the clarification. IMO, it would have been easier to understand if the developers just add the common area to the square footage, instead of the price/sft!

Participant

@Bala
    The thing is, not putting the extra costs in their advertisements means billboards show lowest possible prices. It’s not false advertising, but it does trick people into going to the sales offices. Every foot in the door is a potential sale, more feet in the door is more potential sales. The locals all know they work like this so when they see 8000/sqm they know it’s more like 11000/sqm, it’s just the deception really pisses people who are new to the market off when they realize what they were hoping to spend is not nearly enough or they’ll have to get a much smaller/distant place than they were hoping for.

Welcome to China! Where all your dreams….are deceptively turned into headaches. 😀

Participant

Welcome to China! Where all your dreams….are deceptively turned into headaches. 😀

Good one!

Participant

We are finishing up the decorating of our new apartment, and hoping to move in by the end of this month. We also hired a builder like Rick did. We did all the design work and told him what we wanted. He told us what we needed to buy, and he either did the work or coordinated the people we hired to do some of the work (such as the tiling, AC/Heating, etc…). We got lucky and found this builder who figured out that if he did a great job and didn’t cheat us he would get recommendations for more business. He doesn’t speak English, but I can provide his contact info if you would like.

Steve

Participant

A video of our empty shell apartment

Participant

Ian, if you need someone who did lots of good work for/with me (I did my own design and construction too :D ) let me know and I’ll pass you his contact. He did some plumbing/electrical as well as lots of woodworking (like custom desk built between walls with glass back, no legs this way, and little hole for imac cable leading to electrical outlet hidden beneath so it’s like a cable-free looking custom white imac desk :D ) did my big walk in closet work, stone-ish tile TV wall, and various other stuff. For the majority of my tiling (floor/bathrooms) I had someone else do it but don’t think he’s that great, so don’t want to bother passing him along..but for basically everything else this guy is good.

Rick can you post some pics of the woodwork he did for you thx.

Participant

I’ll try to take some pictures and post soon, busy week 😀 off to OZ (work ><) for a month saturday.

Good woodworker, will build to order/fit.

Participant

Because of the server issue my last post has gone.  Anyways

I have been writing a blog about buying an apartment in China.

http://ianclavis.wordpress.com/category/china/buying-a-house-in-china/

Participant
    Participant

I urgently need to find a Tiler.  Anybody know a good one?

http://www.ianclavis.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/work-has-come-to-a-stop/

Participant

Some of these posts are making me nervous about our house. We bought one over by Ikea. Should get the keys early next year. Will be looking for advice in the coming months 😀

@Ian
    , I like the windowed-in balcony! Thinking about doing that in ours too.

Participant

Some of these posts are making me nervous about our house. We bought one over by Ikea. Should get the keys early next year. Will be looking for advice in the coming months :D @Ian, I like the windowed-in balcony! Thinking about doing that in ours too.

Benjamin please get a independent surveyor to check your property before you sign over for the keys.  The building company will tell you they have had their surveyor check, but it’s best to get a second opinion.  We found a few problems with our new build before we signed over for the keys.  It took six months to sort out.

It cost 600rmb for the survey, but it was worth it as I would not have found thoose problems.

Problems with new build in China

Participant

@Ian–Will do! Where are you going to get your tiling/cabinets/flooring etc?

Participant

@Ben We had some issues with the Tiler from our building company.  Its best to get the company you buy the tiles from to do the work.  Also choosing tiles will take time you really have to know about tile quality as you can get screwed over.  Do not buy tiles from B&Q.

Flooring we are getting heated floors in some rooms which is our biggest expense.  We are not using the water heated floors as they can be a pain to fix.  There is a new company which makes electric heated wooden floors based in Chengdu.

Cabinets I assume you mean Kitchen?

Anyway we found the best place to buy Tiles, flooring, bathroom and kitchen cabinets is in the Bomei Area just past Flower Town next to the drive in McD’s

If you need more info send me a PM.  I have lots of info to share.  I wish I had somebody to help me along the way.  It has been a big learning curve and continues to be.

Participant
    Participant

i  work for centery 21 so i know how things work a little bit, the price of house in china wont drop within 10s years, and if u do want to buy a house to settle down here, then start with a small house , get a loan , then u dont have to pay much at first. and i dont  think its a good idea to buy a house outside of 3rd ring is a good idea, cauze if u do , its not convinent to go to work or anything else, by then u would be tired of take a long time to go to work everyday, then u probebly would want to rent another place in the city and rent ur own house to someone else which wont get money from the house out of city.

Participant

@belle
    Rather than say it’s a bad idea to buy a house outside of 3rd ring due to commute, it’d be better to say it’s important to consider what area you’re more likely to work when buying a house…..which is a pretty common sense concept 😀 I’d wager that most foreigners working in a professional capacity /or/ with other means to buy an apartment in Chengdu don’t work downtown.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 122 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.