Cheap Electronics?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCheap Electronics?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

It seems that i accepted the offered position to teach english in Chengdu (hopefully i wont regret this), but my question pertains to cheap electronics.

There is this site called dealextreme and it sells chinese made products for cheap prices compared to retail. But are these products cheaper in china vs online/retail?

One example is:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultra-thin-3-0-touch-screen-1080p-5mp-cmos-digital-video-camcorder-w-4x-digital-zoom-av-hdmi-sd-71684

I am looking to buy this camera to give my exp on teaching in China. My question is, is it cheaper to buy it over there or buy it in the states? I know that the ipad2 is stupid expensive, more so than the US, hopefully this isnt the case for a product like this.

Thank you!

J

Participant

Jingdong is cheap, delivery fast, but unfortunately no English.

http://www.360buy.com/

Keymaster

Online is almost always cheaper. The site that Shinichi recommended is the best one, although the only caveat is that it’s not in English. Sometimes I don’t want to deal with the hassle of ordering online and waiting for the shipped item to arrive, so here’s what I do: search for the product on 360buy and determine the price, then go to Computer City in Chengdu to negotiate with that price in mind.

If you know what an item should actually cost, you have a lot of leverage over vendors since in most cases there are dozens of people selling the same products.

Participant

That camera looks like it would be widely available in one of the 9-story “computer city” buildings on first ring road. Bargain low and walk away to the next guy selling cameras and you should get a good price. I’m not the best bargainer since I hate shopping I usually hold out until I really really need something and then cave for a price a bit higher than what I expected to pay.

I was surprised to find that electronics like this and “fake” name-brand clothing is actually cheaper in Shanghai markets like Qi-Pu Lu.

So you want to record your English teaching? Many private schools actually already have a minicam on site.

In http://www.banggood.com, you can find cheap but good quality electronics.

There are a lot of asian online stores, that sell electronics without a known brand name, but with good hardware.Most popular consumer electronics are nowadays phones and tablets

You can find all kinds of electronics on Asian online shops, from low- to top of the range products. Usually the price is 40-60% cheaper.

The famous brands manufacture their products in Asia, so the locals are learning the technology and are copying it pretty good. Just they can manufacture a lot cheaper with lower local salaries and without the cost of advertising and brand development.

Our regular retail stores also sell alot of products, because they originate from a long chain of resellers. Every reseller adds alittle to the price to make profit and the retail store ads alot to pay for all the salaries and rent for keeping up the store. These products are usually cheaper electronic accessories like cables, usb products, electrical equipment etc. Buying these products directly from Asia can nerf the price up to 50%. Most of these Asian online stores are wholesalers also, so they only operate a warehouse and a webpage to ship certain products all over the world. This can keep the price down to the end consumer.

You can check out http://www.cheap-asia.com

That site has information, like reviews, ratings, user experiences and discussions, regarding asian websites for cheap products.

There are a lot of asian online stores, that sell electronics without a known brand name, but with good hardware.Most popular consumer electronics are nowadays phones and tablets

You can find all kinds of electronics on Asian online shops, from low- to top of the range products. Usually the price is 40-60% cheaper.

The famous brands manufacture their products in Asia, so the locals are learning the technology and are copying it pretty good. Just they can manufacture a lot cheaper with lower local salaries and without the cost of advertising and brand development.

Our regular retail stores also sell alot of products, because they originate from a long chain of resellers. Every reseller adds alittle to the price to make profit and the retail store ads alot to pay for all the salaries and rent for keeping up the store. These products are usually cheaper electronic accessories like cables, usb products, electrical equipment etc. Buying these products directly from Asia can nerf the price up to 50%. Most of these Asian online stores are wholesalers also, so they only operate a warehouse and a webpage to ship certain products all over the world. This can keep the price down to the end consumer.

You can check out http://www.cheap-asia.com

That site has information, like reviews, ratings, user experiences and discussions, regarding asian websites for cheap products.

@kaspar t

@kaspar t

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.