Cheapest 24/7 Internet (DSL, CAble,…) ?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCheapest 24/7 Internet (DSL, CAble,…) ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I need an internet line (DSL, Cable …) that works 24/7 and is cheap.

I have heard there is an 8 MB/sec line for about 169 RMB a month, is there a 1 or 2 MB option that would be cheaper in Chendu (i am in the Tongzilin neighboorhood, in Wuhou) ?

or anything cheaper ?

Thanks for your help

Keymaster

电信 (China Telecom) is generally regarded as the best. The cheapest, however, is probably something like Great Wall or Aipu.

Thanks

Do you know the prices ?

Can get as low as 50RMB for Aipu according to a flyer I’ve seen in my building, depending on the contract length of course.

China Telecom peering to servers outside of China can already be extremely slow at peak times, so I don’t want to know what kind of connectivity you get to foreign servers for that money.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    China Telecom peering to servers outside of China can already be extremely slow at peak times, so I don’t want to know what kind of connectivity you get to foreign servers for that money.

Here’s how Aipu and Great Wall work… they put up flyers advertising 10 megabyte service for a super low price (like 50 yuan a month). It sounds too good to be true, and it is. When you go to sign up they explain that the connection to their local servers is 10m, everything else is much slower. Most people just connect to Aipu/Great Wall’s local server and stream movies/tv shows from there. Services like Great Wall give you access to tons of media which streams through the browser.

But can I get decent browsing to American and Western servers with Great Wall ?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    But can I get decent browsing to American and Western servers with Great Wall ?

Decent is a relative term so it depends on your expectations. It will work, but it will be slow.

Slow as in 30KB a sec or 3KBps ?

Check this thread.

https://www.chengduliving.com/forum/topic/whats-your-internet-speed-in-chengdu/page/3

Only have experience with China Telecom 4M for 169RMB. Accessing servers in the US is satisfactory except during peak hours in the evenings.

btw, data transfer rates are usually expressed in kbps (kilobits per sec), not kB/s (kilobytes per sec). If you want to download 30 kilobytes per second, you would need at least a 240 kilobit per second transfer rate (but note that you will rarely get speeds at max capacity).

So theoretically a 4M (4 Megabit) connection will give you speeds up to 500kB/s.

Thanks for the info Chris.

I am on a restricted budget since i won’t be paying for the internet line, that’s why I wanted to know “how bad” was the cheap Great Wall Internet so i could make an informed decision.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Slow as in 30KB a sec or 3KBps ?

I haven’t used Great Wall in 4+ years so I can’t really speak to current speeds. It’s slow.

Quote:
    So theoretically a 4M (4 Megabit) connection will give you speeds up to 500kB/s.

That is exactly the maximum download speed of my 4M China Telecom connection.

Participant

Everyone is talking about China Telecom only, how about UNICOM? Is their service level good, and connectivity of course..that’s more important…

I’m also looking to sign a LAN line, but do not wish to be tied down a long term contract…I heard unicom has a half year prepaid plan, was china telecom has similar plans? Or is there any other service provider in the market?

Since I have the China Telecom 8mb for 169 my internet speed is far better than anything i ever had in China before also in Beijing. Im running it with Astrill VPN.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Since I have the China Telecom 8mb for 169 my internet speed is far better than anything i ever had in China before also in Beijing. Im running it with Astrill VPN.

Damn, we pay 189 a month for 4mb. I gotta get to China Telecom to figure out how to upgrade to 8mb. Thanks for posting this info!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.