Chengdu Brew & View at New Machu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChengdu Brew & View at New Machu

• This topic has 21 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoWill.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey there ladies and germs. This Sunday (tomorrow) the 27th at 7 p.m. is the first of many movie nights at New Machu Picchu. We decided to christen the event with the renown bowling documentary, The Big Lebowski. A movie in which Jeff Bridges and John Goodman strike up an unlikely friendship, but grow together through the bonding of smacking white phalluses around with big black balls.

Not really, of course. The Big Lebowski is directed by the Coen brothers and features Jeff Bridges as an unemployed Los Angeles slacker and avid bowler nicknamed “The Dude.” A case of mistaken identity sets the circus show rolling as Lebowski comes into contact with thugs, philanthropic go-getters, German nihilists, and an erotic artist in his ostensibly simple quest to replace his pissed-on rug.

Showtime is 7 p.m. and we’ll be watching it on Machu’s big ass projection screen with surround sound. But what use is a brew & view without the brews? We shall grace your open hand with 1 free White Russian (that’s an alcoholic drink made with kahlua, creme and vodka) upon entrance. After that, they’re a measly 20 kuai. Other specials going on are 15 kuai Jim Beams and 15 kuai off pizza.

We’ll also be playing drinking games, so come on down in your Sunday best sandals and bathrobe and have a few drinks with us.

All are welcome. Entrance is free. Exiting is 20 kuai.

(kidding)

Participant

Free entry and a free drink? Interesting. I wonder if I can make a few disguises for Sunday.

Keymaster

That projector really ties the room together, does it not? Dudes abide when you screen tv shows at movies at Machu Picchu, apparently – good crowd on Monday for Game of Thrones.

I would have joined last Sunday to watch this but the goddamn plane crashed into the mountain and I got busy with something else at the last minute. Next time.

Participant

We

We are showing The Big Lebowski again tomorrow, as last week had a bit of technical difficulties. Straight from the mouth of Hijs:

Machu Picchu     Sunday 4 may    19.30-20.00 ish

THE DUDE!!        we are showing THE BIG LEBOWSKI on our 100 inch screen with chinese subtitles

for those who had a tough weekend , we serve all of you at the start of the movie a FREE WHITE RUSSIAN, .. show up in a bathrobe and get 2 free white russians, after that it will only cost 20 rmb.

entry free of course

and like our  (Game of Throne) mondays our pizza will be 15 kuai off!

———

There you have it. Hope to see you dudes there.

Participant

Sweet. My mistakenly thinking it was this weekend has worked out for the best.

One of my favorites showing next week, Snatch. You heard it here first!

Participant

before Will makes the official announcement.. i would like to pre-announce   our next movie on

Sunday May 11th at 8pm       SNATCH     one of Guy Ritchie’s finest!

since this is  an English movie, and New Machu actually doesn’t have any Ale, our drink special is  : Bottle of Guinness for half price (15) and shots of Scotch and Jameson 10!

of course entry free and all our pizza’s are 15 rmb cheaper before and during the movie

Keymaster

before Will makes the official announcement.. i would like to pre-announce our next movie on

Sunday May 11th at 8pm SNATCH one of Guy Ritchie’s finest!

Great movie, but will there be subtitles? I’m American

Participant

Half price Guinness has sealed the deal. That brings it to the same price as a Qing Dao. I’ll see you on Sunday.

Great movie, but will there be subtitles? I’m American

Perhaps I can interpret, but some London slang is beyond comprehension.

Participant

Brew & View continues this Sunday night at 8 p.m. with Snatch, a film by that English guy, Guy Ritchie.

Snatch poses a very important question: Where is the stone? A family film, complete with a cute little dog, that’s got a little bit of everything. Lil bit of diamond heisting gone awry, lil bit of bare- knuckle boxing, lil bit of an unpredictable Irish gypsy (Brad Pitt) and a lotta bit of said dog who likes swallowing all sorts of shit he shouldn’t. Double-crossing, double-bluffing and double-dealing abound as various parties pursue personal agendas-all of them illegal, some of them farcical and most of them involving an 86-carat diamond. Eventually, things fall apart, the center cannot hold yada yada yada. The question is – who will emerge with the stone?

No no no, that’s not it. The question is what the *#!%  are the gypsies saying. That’s the real question here.

Drink specials:

– 15 kuai bottles of Guinness (thank sweet baby Jesus)

– 10 kuai shots of Jameson and scotch

And, naturally, 15 kuai off pizzas. See you there, mates.

Participant

Just kidding about the family film thing by the way. Under no circumstances should you bring your child to see this movie. Well, one circumstance is if they wear earmuffs and a blindfold. Then I suppose it’d be alright.

Participant
    Participant

Nice cat, Ray.

Forgot to mention we will have chinese subtitles as well. No room for English ones though, you’ll have to use your robust imaginations. Or just drink every time you’re confused about what’s going on, a wonderful concept that also conveniently applies to everyday life.

Participant

What’s with the 2 week hiatus? I was enjoying my new Sunday habit.

Participant

Yeah sorry about that Callum. Machu has had band gigs apparently scheduled for these Sundays for many many months, since before we started the Brew and View. There’s another band playing tonight, but next Sunday should be business as usual. We will be showing Run Lola Run, a classic of German making, of which I’ll have more details about later.

Participant

Machu Picchu Movie Night… this time on Monday because GoT has a 1 week break…

Run Lola Run    Berlin 1998

it’s BERLIN berlin berlin

when Manni forgets a plastic bag with a hundred thousand in the subway his girlfriend LOLA has 20 minutes to come up with an idea to get Manni the money before his Criminal boss will kill him… thus starts the story… 3 times…in 3 versions of the same story each with a different outcome (a bit according to the “butterfly flaps his wings” effect)

Lola runs out, through Berlin of the 90’s , parts of east berlin, west berlin, and across the bridge into Kreuzberg. While Lola is running she encounters several characters (3 times) each time changing their story and future (depicted in polaroids flashing on screen

when this movie came out in cinema’s it was a surprise hit and had an influence in german filmmaking comparable to Pulp Fiction for Hollywood. LOLA (played by Franka Potente.. later played next to Johnny Depp in BLOW) looks Super Berlin Cool! her fiery red hair and shabby dress was actually pretty much what the berlin girls were wearing at the time…  The sound track is going on and on pumping minimal electronic with some vocal outbreaks, by one band (from Berlin!) and their music is what berlin was listening to then and yes, still now…

before i bore you with this long story , COME AND SEE THE MOVIE TONIGHT IN MACHU PICCHU at 8pm   (funny detail.. Lola is actually running into a street where i lived at the time of recording the movie)

</div>

Participant

So there you have it, complete with code. Run Lola Run tonight at 8 p.m.  Game of Thrones is taking a break this week for Memorial Day.

Participant

hope i fixed it, happens to me all the time, stupid code suddenly appears in my posts, probably because i don’t write it directly in the forum but copy paste it.

Participant

Don’t let “German film” dissuade you :), this is a great flick. Chick runs a lot (hence the title). I’ll see if i can find a suitable cat GIF….

Participant

So is this film in German with English subs, or an English dub with Chinese subs?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.