Chengdu Burners?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChengdu Burners?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I’m going to Burning Man at the end of the month before moving to Chengdu. Are there any burners out here?

Participant

Damn, I’m jealous that you’re going to burning man! I’ve never been myself but have been to many regional events between NYC and Washington D.C. and in SF. There is a asian regional burners page, but most of the China burners seem to be in Beijing or Shanghai. That being said, there is still some like minded people in Chengdu, a few fire performers, lots of musicians, and the occasional psychonaut.

Have fun in BRC, feel free to reach out when you get to Chengdu!

Keymaster

I’ve met a handful of Burners in Chengdu, they are definitely around!

Participant

I’m going to be at the burn this year and then leave straight for Chengdu. Let me know if you want to get in touch!

Are you asking to meet people who smoke the good stuff in Chengdu? Many here, bro. Many. Chengdu is a hippie city.

Participant

I think he’s referring to this..

burningman.org

I don’t get why he’d want to meet someone (in China) who went to a big art show in the Nevada desert? To share photos? I’m reading between the lines. 😉

I’m moving to Chengdu after attending Burning Man this year so I thought it would be cool to meet-up with some Sichuan burners. As it turns out I’ll probably have a couple brews with Brent on the Playa (aka one of the most amazing places on earth)

Participant

Definitely the coolest place on earth- have you gone before?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I don’t get why he’d want to meet someone (in China) who went to a big art show in the Nevada desert? To share photos? I’m reading between the lines. 😉

In addition to the event, being a burner encompasses adopting certain traditions and beliefs. It’s kind of like a giant collective.

Participant

2012 looked like another amazing year. There are some great pictures posted here on Daily Mail.

Participant

It was an excellent burn, it definitely put me in the right headspace for moving to China. And here I am now in my dorm at Southwest University of Nationalities. People in Chengdu are just as friendly and welcoming as those 60,000 in Black Rock City.

Is anyone interested in meeting up? I’ve seen some of the city and would love to start making connections!

Participant

Are you part of the USAC program at Uni of nationalities? Im staying in the dorms of SW uni of minorities/nationalities. The one with the hotel underneath, are u too?

Participant
    Quote:
    It was an excellent burn, it definitely put me in the right headspace for moving to China.

Not sure how you can related excessive freedom of expression to a country and city where there is not much of it and everybody is extremely money focused (sucks to be poor in China after all).

Participant

@Pete, I learned a metaphor at Burning Man: at all times in life you have shit on your shoe and an ice cream cone in your hand. Some people choose to focus on the shit on their foot and they’ll even go up to you and say, “look at this shit.. look how bad it smells.” And then some people choose to focus on the ice cream… they’ll even share it with you and show you how great it tastes: “check out the wonderful flavor of this ice cream!”

A lot of things suck in a lot of places. A lot of things are awesome in a lot of places. I choose to look at the awesome.

@Ye Ming USAC, yes!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    at all times in life you have shit on your shoe and an ice cream cone in your hand. Some people choose to focus on the shit on their foot and they’ll even go up to you and say, “look at this shit.. look how bad it smells.” And then some people choose to focus on the ice cream… they’ll even share it with you and show you how great it tastes: “check out the wonderful flavor of this ice cream!”

That is a brilliant realization.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Is anyone interested in meeting up? I’ve seen some of the city and would love to start making connections!

Sent you a PM

Participant

Some more amazing photos from Chinese-American Peikwen Cheng.

Quote:
    An escape from daily life can be found next week at the Burning Man festival in the Black Rock Desert in northern Nevada. Photographer Peikwen Cheng has attended and photographed the event nine times since 2000.

Cheng’s ongoing “Lost and Found” series draws from his experience of “losing the ability to dream and then refinding it,” he said.

When he first visited Burning Man, it allowed him to reflect and channel his efforts to photography. He went there for adventure, he said, and to be engulfed in a creative environment. He left refreshed and inspired.

Each year that he has returned, he continues to work on his project. His first year was about experimenting with photography. Over 10 years, a clear direction developed for him, he said.

While tens of thousands attend the event, Cheng captures just a few of the participants in his surreal, dreamlike photographs. Grabbing his gear and heading out during a sandstorm when everyone else retreats gives his images a unique feeling. Many of his subjects look lost.

“That was the feeling I wanted in the pictures,” he said. In fact, sometimes Cheng got lost himself as he wandered around the prehistoric lake bed.

But “I like to get lost,” he said.

The experience is different every year, which keeps him coming back.

According to the Burning Man website, the event is “an annual experiment in temporary community dedicated to radical self-expression and radical self-reliance.”

“The takeaway is inspiration,” Cheng said.

Keymaster

I shared the photos Burning Man photos that Justin posted above with colleagues yesterday and one of them had an interesting reply. “We have the same thing in Xichang”.

Obviously it’s not the same thing, but it is an interesting discovery. It’s an Yi Minority torch festival which takes place every year in Sichuan, Yunnan, and Guizhou for 3 days. Here’s the Baidu Baike entry for it (Chinese wikipedia) and some photos:

torch1.jpg

torch2.jpg

torch3.jpg

Quote:
    Some more amazing photos from Chinese-American Peikwen Cheng.

That looks magical. I feel like I’m in an altered state just looking at these photos.

Participant
    Quote:
    Yi Minority torch festival

Too bad this happened in June, it would have made a great weekend trip!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.