Is Chengdu Suitable?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionIs Chengdu Suitable?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Greeting to All’s , currently in Asia , European National  , I’m moving soon to Chengdu to take up a employment in a Hospitality  Industry , I have read a lot of Comments about Chengdu , most i have read look positive, except  for the weather ( lol ) , i’m just open this Topic to see  if any one of you will confirm to me Chengdu it’s a Vibrant City and we feel not boring for a long term  expat stay ? ,  easy to living and have a happy life ? or do it’s opposite , it’s a boring city with not much happen ? Any Comments about my Topic  will be welcome, Thank you .

Cheers..

Participant

Chengdu…. “it’s a really Vibrant City” ? I never type this but:

LOL

Participant

…depend what do you want, I think that for drink and dance still to be ok. Maybe better for quiet people, if you like nature, hiking, photography… around Chengdu have many beautiful places!
    A question, can you speak chinese? sometimes here speak only english language is a problem…

P.S.
    Keep in touch, if you are a chef I will open soon a warehouse of italian genuine food and maybe can to be “interesting” for eachother!

Participant

@Rick thank you for your comment, my meaning was by vibrant is : do Chengdu for expat long term stay , we can have a social life and enjoy our time , off course i don’t expect like shanghai or new york or else , i re~format my question, do Chengdu is a attractive city with some spirit ?

@Frederico thank for comment, i’m from Paris , currently south Asia, i do understand chengdu will not be like south asia spirit or may have some different view , well let say to chengdu have some nice place to hangout and to have nice drink with some nice music ? yes i’ m a chef but not a cook , more on Pastry Bakery side, i m coming for project in Chengdu, i can’t name it here , thank guy’s for your reply appreciate, last one: how is the atmosphere in town friendly peoples ? enjoy your week end cheers .

Participant

My pleasure Rata, I believe that everything will be ok… I’m here from 2 years and I like this city because is quiet, my problem for example is that I can’t speak chinese and the relationship with chinese Sichuan friends is very difficult… about music, Charlie can suggest you better than me but I like Music Park because atmosphere is suggestive in an old factory, but haven’t too much life. A my chinese friend that have bar here, said that business isn’t good… in center you can have more choice, try to check out ChengduPlaces on the top of page!
    See you France friend

Keymaster

i’m just open this Topic to see if any one of you will confirm to me Chengdu it’s a Vibrant City and we feel not boring for a long term expat stay ? , easy to living and have a happy life ? or do it’s opposite , it’s a boring city with not much happen ? Any Comments about my Topic will be welcome, Thank you.

Hi there,

Whether or not Chengdu suits you depends on what you’re looking for. If you want a bustling super metropolis with an enormous expat community, check out Shanghai. If you want a quieter, more traditionally Chinese city, Chengdu is for you. Granted, the rate of growth in Chengdu is far greater than basically anywhere else on earth. But Chengdu is still more difficult to “get into” than Beijing or Shanghai because it is more traditional in terms of language and culture.

Despite its frustrations, Chengdu is a great place to be if you’re going to be in China. Aside from the pollution and the occasionally dismal weather, the city has a ton of charm and exciting things emerging. The city has transformed in the last 5 years, put it that way. 5 years from now it’s going to be an entirely new place again, most likely.

Chengdu…. “it’s a really Vibrant City” ? I never type this but:

LOL

You’ve been living in Chengdu for what, like ten years Rick? Acting all sarcastic like you’re above Chengdu… If you’re going to criticize someone for asking what Chengdu’s like you could at least provide some kind of useful information.

Participant

A few days ago a customer asked me how Chengdu is to live in.

My spontaneous answer was that if you are social enough (I know Im not) the expat community seems really vibrant if you are not just interested in hitting clubs and getting drunk, there is so much things going on here, from Nantoke bike nights to whatever you can imagine… This forum is a very good place to start to find the fun things that are going on…

Next thing I said was that the weather sucks, at least if you lived in Xiamen like me, I really miss the blue sky and those magical sunsets 🙂

Daniel

Participant

“Chengdu” interesting name to the place, First time heard of it. And after going through all discussion here, wish to visit soon.

Nantoke bike nights

…and fried chicken eating contests.

Participant

@Charlie RE: “You’ve been living in Chengdu for what, like ten years Rick? ”

A lil over ten yah. The reason I LOL’d is because of the word vibrant specifically. Chengdu is a great city for many reasons, but vibrant is far from a word I’d use to describe it. I found the question to be a little bit like going to a wiki site on GTA5, and asking, “Hey guys what can you tell me about GTA5? is it fun? is it violent?”

Participant

Really depend from which style of people you are 😉 Chengdu is a balanced city between business and quiet life…

Participant

It’s a city of leisure and relaxing. And compare to Beijing, the air condition is way to better. But still bad.

Participant

Hello guy’s Thank to All your Reply, have Just Landing last night , Today First Impression is Very laid back and nice Peoples , I don’t see the City as i’m here to job purpose, I believe i Will like Chengdu , Thank Again for all your Comments Keep in Touch ^^

Participant

I don’t know who told you that the air quality in Chengdu is better than Beijing, but they were lying to you Alexander. Chengdu is consistently in the bottom 15% of the country regarding aqi. Take today for example, Beijing aqi is 100 Chengdu is 346!!! There are only 15 cities that have worst air pollution in the entire country.

Participant

@Collin “Beijing aqi is 100 Chengdu is 346”

Dude..Beijing is routinely like, the worst in the WORLD. I think it breached 1000 more than once this year. Just because it’s clean today and Chengdu is extra bad, doesn’t mean that Beijing has better air.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1212552/air-quality-beijing-second-worst-out-31-mainland-cities

I suggest you click the “trend” button in your app. Today for example, you’re lookin at these wonderfully low numbers. Those numbers went from a steady 200+ to like, 50, at 9am, in an instant.. and 30 day it spikes routinely, but is pretty often up around 300. Chengdu, however, while horribly nasty and shitty compared to a ‘clean’ city, sits on an average of about 150 over the last 30 days, with today being the highest spike.

Participant

Start keeping track for yourself. Chengdu has had a few days over 1000 this year too. Beijing just gets more press because there are more foreign reporters there. I check the aqi daily and Chengdu is generally worst than Beijing. It kind of makes sense since Chengdu is currently the hot spot for development right now.

Participant

Sorry, just checked the trends. It looks about the same based on u.s consulate figures. Regardless, it’s still pretty shitty and should be considered way better than anywhere.

Participant

Beijing seems to spike much greater in both directions than Chengdu – yeah, over last 30 days it appears to be on par – but over the year, it’s far worse. Spring in Beijing is generally double Chengdu.

Either way, both cities air quality is SHIT, hazardous for elderly and children, and likely the reason I’ll do my best to transfer to Sydney when my baby pops out. Not very nice to let baby fill tiny lungs with first breath of air as polluted as Chengdu 🙁

Participant

But at least on fact you should consider about is that northern part of china burn coal to provide people heat in winter,  this is already a severe air pollution.

Participant

“But at least on fact you should consider” — oh, it’s to keep warm..ok then, breath deep boys! 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.