China Book Recommendations

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChina Book Recommendations

• This topic has 62 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoDan.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant

“The Coming Collapse of China” – Gordon Chang. Kinda funny to read these days cos he missed on pretty much every prediction (“by 2010…”etc. etc.). Another alarmist, attention-grabbing title, but low on insight or accuracy.

Participant

12years .

I don’t believe him. Because I already above 30 years I still don’t believe myself.

How I can believe this guy, just for 12 years???

No!

Participant

12years .

I don’t believe him. Because I already above 30 years I still don’t believe myself.

How I can believe this guy, just for 12 years???

No!

Quote:
    Well I wouldnt really want to opinionate about a book I haven’t read. I just wanted to give an insight for the reasons why I wouldnt even consider reading it. That would be:

Really? I feel almost compelled to read it, not because I agree with (for example) the quote you mention, but because it is of such strong positioning. The book I’m sure is no Mein Kampf, but it must have great potential for debate, even if personal.

I plan to read it as soon as I get my hands on a copy.

Quote:
    Well I wouldnt really want to opinionate about a book I haven’t read. I just wanted to give an insight for the reasons why I wouldnt even consider reading it. That would be:

Really? I feel almost compelled to read it, not because I agree with (for example) the quote you mention, but because it is of such strong positioning. The book I’m sure is no Mein Kampf, but it must have great potential for debate, even if personal.

I plan to read it as soon as I get my hands on a copy.

Apart from complaining about a book i won’t read, I throw in this book:

How the City moved to Mr. Sun

An excellent portrayal of China’s Mid Tier cities and their rapid urban transformation process. Written not only for Architects I would say.

An excellent portrayal of China’s Mid Tier cities and their rapid urban transformation process. Written not only for Architects I would say.

Keymaster
    Quote:

That book is incredible. I interviewed the author for a post on Chengdu Living and it will be posted soon. Michiel has done some fascinating research which has culminated in that book.

Keymaster
    Quote:

That book is incredible. I interviewed the author for a post on Chengdu Living and it will be posted soon. Michiel has done some fascinating research which has culminated in that book.

Yes I met them in London when they were presenting the book. Great insights. And very nice approach.

Yes I met them in London when they were presenting the book. Great insights. And very nice approach.

Keymaster

I’m getting back into China books after 6 months of reading about other topics. What books are people currently reading? These are the ones I have on my list to read next:

The Party: The Secret World of China’s Communist Rulers

Behind the Red Door: Sex in China

Life and Death in Shanghai

Participant

My two cents on the Troy Parfitt Book is:

He probably has few real Chinese friends. Every comment I read and quote I’ve seen seems to come from an outsider – an outsider who has read and observed, but still an outsider. I think China has a lot to teach the world, if they can just throw the parasites off … the human spirit is beautiful and indomitable and Universal. There are no exceptions to the human spirit and that is something we should all remember when someone says a certain country is populated by dipshits and sunflower seed spitting barefoot half-human peasants. Or dipshits and tabaccy juice spittin inbred half-human rednecks.

Here is a book that is a bit sensational (and set in malaysia) but it comes recommended:

http://www.sugong.co.uk/

Participant

The Corpse Walker by Liao Yiwu is one of the bets books i;ve read on China. Its adapted from his Chinese book titled something like Interviews with People from the Bottom Rungs of Society, and is an incredibly candid honest and cutting version of exactly what it says, interviews with people who have seen it all from the bottom. He is from Sichuan and most of the interviews are with people in and around Chengdu/Sichuan are. Liao himself is now in exile based on his honest portrayal of certain issues throughout his career. one of the most informative unpretentious books ive read on China

Participant

@Danielle – Iron Rooster is my all time fave china travel tale, unparalleled time capsule, when I saw the forum thread that’s exactly the book I was gonna share

Beijing Jeep and Red Dust by Ma Jian are two other interesting 80s china tales, one about the first American car company miserable partnership and an outcast Bohemian’s wandering around China

Participant

I liked China Candid: The People on the People’s Republic (by Sang Ye). It is a bit old now but interesting cross section of people interviewed in this. Including some pretty gruesome accounts of what happens to people on death row.

Currently enjoying: China in 10 Words by Yu Hua. I like his commentary linking current thinking to previous political campaigns.

Participant

I help out with the British Chamber of Commerce Magazine and welcome anyone to submit a short, (not overly political) review of a book related to China, to be published in the magazine.

Feel free to contact [email protected] for information.

Participant

I really liked Mao: The Unknown Story, but it is not something you can read in one sitting. Too much horror to take all at once. It is banned in China, but sometimes Bookworm has it.

Participant

Have you seen the academic response to it though? Was Mao Really a Monster: The Academic Response to Chang and Halliday’s “Mao: The Unknown Story”, edited by Gregor Benton and Lin Chun

This book opened more discussion on Mao than I think was intended…Especially on the sensational aspect versus the academic merit of the work.

Participant

I have not seen the academic response to the book, but it doesn’t surprise me there would be some. Most academic types tend to be of a marxist bent anyways, and many of them think highly of Mao and other marxist dictators. Usually if these types of people come out against a book I’m more inclined to read it.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.