China is the Future!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChina is the Future!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@Brendan Good point on the piping – that’s a concern, and like you said, older buildings piping will be a larger issue..

The fish, well, they’re also mostly bottom feeding carp and such, absolutely not a good idea to eat..dirt piggin fish from dirt piggin rivers.

Participant

@Brendan Good point on the piping – that’s a concern, and like you said, older buildings piping will be a larger issue..

The fish, well, they’re also mostly bottom feeding carp and such, absolutely not a good idea to eat..dirt piggin fish from dirt piggin rivers.

Keymaster

When it comes to China’s environment around major cities I assume it to be polluted until proven otherwise. In this case it seems we have either very vague or anecdotal evidence, which is not much of a surprise. The air is obviously polluted, but the government states that it’s “Acceptable”, while equipment at the US Consulate said it is “Very unhealthy”, reaching over 200 today. The precedent of China underestimating the severity of pollution is well established, and understandable, and I see no reason to believe why water quality is any different. I don’t see much of a practical advantage to drinking water out of the tap here anyway when water gets delivered to your door at about $2 for a weeks supply.

But to bring this tangent back to the original topic – I think that the condition of China’s environment poses a serious threat to the potentiality of it becoming a country where people will want to flock to in the future, as Ray suggested.

Keymaster

When it comes to China’s environment around major cities I assume it to be polluted until proven otherwise. In this case it seems we have either very vague or anecdotal evidence, which is not much of a surprise. The air is obviously polluted, but the government states that it’s “Acceptable”, while equipment at the US Consulate said it is “Very unhealthy”, reaching over 200 today. The precedent of China underestimating the severity of pollution is well established, and understandable, and I see no reason to believe why water quality is any different. I don’t see much of a practical advantage to drinking water out of the tap here anyway when water gets delivered to your door at about $2 for a weeks supply.

But to bring this tangent back to the original topic – I think that the condition of China’s environment poses a serious threat to the potentiality of it becoming a country where people will want to flock to in the future, as Ray suggested.

Keymaster

Participant

Some of those big water bottle delivery services have reputation of delivering poor quality water (not pure distilled etc, as advertised) also. In my last place, I started buying big jugs of cest’bon or whatever it is instead, since the delivered water kept having little floaty things inside when inspected upon placing a new container on top of the water machine.

I guess the bottom line is either way you go, there are potential risks.

Pollution is a big issue, and Chengdu used to be a lot better – lately it’s just disgusting, dusty dirty shit air that’s leaving layers of dust every day my windows/doors are open. Everyone can agree that Chengdu’s air quality is shit – maybe a large part of that most recently is the massive amounts of road/subway construction sprawling city wide..

Participant

Some of those big water bottle delivery services have reputation of delivering poor quality water (not pure distilled etc, as advertised) also. In my last place, I started buying big jugs of cest’bon or whatever it is instead, since the delivered water kept having little floaty things inside when inspected upon placing a new container on top of the water machine.

Pollution is a big issue, and Chengdu used to be a lot better – lately it’s just disgusting, dusty dirty shit air that’s leaving layers of dust every day my windows/doors are open. Everyone can agree that Chengdu’s air quality is shit – maybe a large part of that most recently is the massive amounts of road/subway construction sprawling city wide..

Participant

Chengdu’s water treatment plants are built and managed by Veolia. I have been told that French employees sent over say the water coming from the plant is drinkable.

I think, as already mentioned, any issues with the water are most likely to come from pipes and storage tanks.

Chengdu’s water treatment plants are built and managed by Veolia. I have been told that French employees sent over say the water coming from the plant is drinkable.

I think, as already mentioned, any issues with the water are most likely to come from pipes and storage tanks.

Quote:
    Some of those big water bottle delivery services have reputation of delivering poor quality water

This has been proven categorically time and again outside of China, thanks to the less than stringent quality control standards of governing agencies like the FDA, who for example classify bottled water as a food. Water treatment plants are required to keep constant monitoring 24/7, while bottled water companies provide only sporadic assay of water, and the requirement level of testing of tap water (to international/European standards) far surpasses the assay guidelines for bottled water. Distillation removes almost all contaminants, so is always preferable to ‘Spring’ or ‘Natural Mineral’ water, but again the QC of these companies is not under the same scrutiny.

Air is definitely the big one in Chengdu currently, I’m seeing the pollutant index above 200 almost daily, edging up past 250 frequently. That’s not getting any better any time soon, and I’m seriously considering an air filtration system in my apartment at the moment. Either that, or relocation. We are all of us sucking in heavy metals right now, and some of them will not be leaving your body any time soon. This is something I’d advise everyone to give serious consideration to while living here.

Quote:
    Some of those big water bottle delivery services have reputation of delivering poor quality water

This has been proven categorically time and again outside of China, thanks to the less than stringent quality control standards of governing agencies like the FDA, who for example classify bottled water as a food. Water treatment plants are required to keep constant monitoring 24/7, while bottled water companies provide only sporadic assay of water, and the requirement level of testing of tap water (to international/European standards) far surpasses the assay guidelines for bottled water. Distillation removes almost all contaminants, so is always preferable to ‘Spring’ or ‘Natural Mineral’ water, but again the QC of these companies is not under the same scrutiny.

Air is definitely the big one in Chengdu currently, I’m seeing the pollutant index above 200 almost daily, edging up past 250 frequently. That’s not getting any better any time soon, and I’m seriously considering an air filtration system in my apartment at the moment. Either that, or relocation. We are all of us sucking in heavy metals right now, and some of them will not be leaving your body any time soon. This is something I’d advise everyone to give serious consideration to while living here.

Quote:

Participant
    Quote:
    If you want to drink the tap water, suit yourself. Personally, I think that is nuts. If I had a choice, I wouldn’t breathe the air, either.

bigphoto.jpg

There is always a choice! 🙂

Participant
    Quote:
    If you want to drink the tap water, suit yourself. Personally, I think that is nuts. If I had a choice, I wouldn’t breathe the air, either.

bigphoto.jpg

Participant
    Quote:

bigphoto.jpg

Participant

When I came to Chengdu in the year 2000, we were all told not to drink the water without boiling, and even to be cautious brushing our teeth. But a few years back my wife did mention that Chengdu was pretty proud that it had potable water.

Chengdu Water

China Water Worldbank

Veolia Case Study Chengdu

That being said, I’ve also never been brave enough to take a sip of un-pasteurized Chengdu tap-liquid.

And just for those of us not in the bubble, my China Air Quality App showed the U.S. Consulate figure at 395 at 23:00. Good times.

Participant

When I came to Chengdu in the year 2000, we were all told not to drink the water without boiling, and even to be cautious brushing our teeth. But a few years back my wife did mention that Chengdu was pretty proud that it had potable water.

Chengdu Water

China Water Worldbank

That being said, I’ve also never been brave enough to take a sip of un-pasteurized Chengdu tap-liquid.

And just for those of us not in the bubble, my China Air Quality App showed the U.S. Consulate figure at 395 at 23:00. Good times.

Participant

Chengdu Water

China Water Worldbank

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.