China Visas, and the seemingly endless labyrinth…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChina Visas, and the seemingly endless labyrinth…

• This topic has 33 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Is the Chinese visa application process perhaps the most convoluted on the planet? I’ve travelled the world as a British citizen, and never have I encountered anything so bewildering and changeable. I’ve spent a number of hours online looking for information from those who have been faced with similar situation to my own, and while there have been some great sources (including this site!), there are a great deal of conflicting accounts.

I will be heading to Chengdu very shortly on a solid job offer. I have visited Chengdu in August of this year, and been very taken by how laid back such a large city could feel. I have been extremely eager to start a new chapter in the far away land of China, though constantly disheartened by the difficulty in easily obtaining the necessary visa/permits. There is a degree of wanting in communication with my prospective employer, simply because his English is broken at best, and this has made the task of securing a work visa a test of patience, hence my being forced to scour the internet for information.

My situation is currently hinged upon whether I can provide a copy of my BSc Foundation (I chose not to complete my degree) in application for a Z visa, and given that this was obtained 12 years ago, and that I currently do not reside in the UK where it was achieved, it’s a task to say the least! I’m giving serious consideration to having a certificate made and being done with it.

Beyond this, I’m keen to hear from any of you what my alternatives in securing a visa that will allow me to work might be. I plan on entering on an L visa, and then making application for an alternate once I’m there. I’m aware there are methods and agencies for obtaining visas both within the mainland, and in Hong Kong, but I’m a little vague on for example what I can achieve with an F visa. My current thoughts are that if it were possible to avoid the potential hoop jumping for a Z visa (both now, and in the future upon renewal), I would love to know how!

So, how easy is it to obtain an F visa, and what are the requirements and restrictions? Also, how can anyone obtain the longest possible length of visa? Am I correct in assuming that the visa term can be extended at a PSB? If not, how and where?

There are more questions, but I’ll await response before I make this a gargantuan posting!

I will add that my prospective employer is heading out to me next week to further discuss this whole affair, and I would very much like to settle any uncertainties at that time. If any of you have contacts to whom I might forward him to in Chengdu for the purpose of securing my status, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Keymaster

It’s true, the visa rules in China are a serious pain. They don’t try to make anything simple, ever.

What you should do is discuss this with your employer, because there are a lot of factors that you’ll have to consider to find the best solution for you. A Z-visa is probably best if you’re going to be working there for an extended period, otherwise an F-visa is always an option. Some info on the different types:

F Visa: as far as I know, you can get a six-month F visa without too much trouble. You might need your employer to convert your L visa to an F, or you can take an invitation letter to Hong Kong and get the visa that way.

Z Visa: your employer will be able to get this for you, it’ll require a medical test in Chengdu and some paperwork. It’s a hassle but fortunately it’s on your employer to go through most of the legwork for this kind of visa.

For more info on China visas, check this out: http://wikitravel.org/en/China#Visas

Hope this helps,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the response. I’m pretty well versed on the ins and outs of Chinese visas by now, but I’m really looking for information on how to obtain a visa when I may not ‘officially’ meet the criteria set.

I notice in another thread a Mr. Wang (FESCO) being mentioned. I’m in contact with an agent in Shanghai who is able to secure a Z visa for me, but it would be great if there was someone reliable in Chengdu to do the same. The crux of my situation is not having a degree certificate to hand, so I’m looking to avoid that requirement.

My advice is to never get your own visa in China. It’s too much trouble–just pay an agency. I use a local company here in Chengdu. They’ve been good. Check your private messages. I sent you his phone number. Just tell him your situation and he’ll tell you exactly what you need to do and how much cash you need to fork over. I don’t know about Z visas but F visas are 3000 RMB to change from L to F, which is good for 3 months. Then it’s 3000 RMB for subsequent 6-month extensions.

Good Luck

Keymaster

Mr Wang’s name gets around a lot. I actually saw him this afternoon. I’m not sure if it was his info that Ryan sent you via PM but he’ll be able to at least point you in the right direction if he can’t help you out personally. In the few minutes that I saw him today he received two phone calls from foreigners regarding visas.

I might be mistaken but I don’t think not having a degree will be an insurmountable obstacle for you. Through getting visas for the last few years I don’t think I’ve ever been asked for a diploma. The school you’re employed by might have that as a requirement but strictly speaking I don’t think it’s 100% required to process your visa.

Good luck!

I’ll actually be overseeing a construction project in the city Charlie, school’s out for me!!

I don’t know if the infamous Mr Wang is the guy I’m talking too, I only know him as ‘Nick’!

I’ve spoken to a number of agents now, and it appears that the diploma is not an issue, just an avenue for increasing the cost of a visa! I have a quote of 7500RMB for a 1 year Z visa at the moment, and I’ll continue to see if I can’t get that figure down elsewhere. I’m more than happy to pay this for securing a 1 year visa, though it does seem to be on the high side. And I’m not even American!

I’ll add any useful information to this thread as it comes, so hopefully others facing any visa related issues will have some points of contact.

Participant

@hzwerks No need to a degree if you’re overseeing construction. However the company you’re gonna be working for should get the visa for you (it’s one of their responsibilities).

Warnings:

1) Changing from an L to a Z inside the country is closed to impossible. Need to move to an F first.

2) An F visa can have a maximum of 1 year (but it’s never given) can be upgraded into a Z (with proper documentation) inside the country and allows you to fulfil the role of a third party consultant/visiting foreign businessman, but does not allow you to legally draw a salary from a local enterprise.

3) You cannot get a Z-Visa for yourself from a local company. A representative of that company must do it for you. (and should anyway)

4) For a Z-Visa to be legal you must work in the city it is issued in. Can’t get it in Shanghai and work in Chengdu.

Good luck!

Keymaster

7,500 for a one year Z-visa is definitely on the high side, I’m sure you can find something much cheaper than that. I pay 2,500 for 6-month F visas and I don’t use an American passport either.

Also, Nick is Mr Wang’s English-speaking counterpart, so you’re already in talks with the guy it sounds like. I’m sure you’ll be able to work something out.

I’m actually in Hong Kong for the week right now, on a trip similar to this one: https://www.chengduliving.com/getting-a-business-visa-in-hong-kong

Yes, I’m hooking up with Nick once I land in Chengdu.

He seems to think I’ll have no problem, so it all looks good for now.

I did read the article previously. Very helpful. Nick tells me I won’t have to exit Chengdu while my new visa is obtained, which is a bonus.

Participant

strange, your company should not only do it for you, but they should pay for it. when i was in BJ, the company paid 6k RMB for my visa extension at the time — expensive as hell, but those were different times. I am not sure what the company is like, but if they can’t get someone who speaks english, cant get you a visa and most likely will balk at paying for it, you might wanna keep yer eyes WIDE OPEN …. you could be teaching sooner than you think.

My company will pay for any expense related to the visa, I’ve just ended up doing much of the leg work in order to get around not having a degree. Communication has been a little slow, going in circles between myself, the employer, and the lawyer advising them. I also wanted to make sure I had gathered as much information from as many different sources about the process as possible. It’s all looking good right now, which means school’s still out!! 😉

So, with my visa expiring on Saturday, I’ve found out that the university that I work at hasn’t done shit, despite me constantly reminding them.

Who do I call/Where do I go to see if I can get an extension? Is 5 days time too short? Worst case scenario, I’m flying to Hong Kong in a couple days.

Keymaster

I recommend Shan Shui Visa – give them a call if you have any questions or want to get a visa, Nick will help you out.

Oh this takes me back!! I had unbelievable hassles in securing my visa and expert certificate, my company really weren’t prepared or clued in to how to handle any of it. It took me 5 months here to do all the running around for the relevant and necessary information/documents etc. There are some bizarre processes in place that will have you having to give up original copies of documents for one department, only to be told it’s not returnable, and then subsequently need the very same document for someone else. And I had an agent!!

Definitely speak to Nick absolutely first thing in the morning if you haven’t tried him already. He may be able to figure something out, but with only 5 days to run, you may just be heading to Hong Kong after all.

I hope you’re still bringing pumpkin pie and a bottle!! 😉

Participant

Is that the same Nick as the one mr Wang is working with? Nick Xie? I might have to contact him again as well, soon.

edit: nvm lol, the “about us” page is pretty clear about that

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Is that the same Nick as the one mr Wang is working with? Nick Xie? I might have to contact him again as well, soon.

Yup

Participant

Does anyone have info on health checks for visas? I got one done in Australia at the sanctioned visa medical facility in January for the student visa I got last spring. Getting a new student visa now and showed my health check to the desk girl at the visa office here in Chengdu – she said it was bu xing and that I should get a new one done here. From my understanding as long as its under 12 months it’s still good right..? Really don’t wanna fork out 400rmb for another check.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Does anyone have info on health checks for visas? I got one done in Australia at the sanctioned visa medical facility in January for the student visa I got last spring. Getting a new student visa now and showed my health check to the desk girl at the visa office here in Chengdu – she said it was bu xing and that I should get a new one done here. From my understanding as long as its under 12 months it’s still good right..? Really don’t wanna fork out 400rmb for another check.

I tried that a few years ago also, it didn’t work for me either. They want you to do it in China.

Thanks for the help guys. I’m in the process and should be able to get a visa extension done.

@Danielle I don’t know why your health inspection isn’t valid, but I have to get one done tomorrow in Tongzilin. I’ll post info about that after I get it.

@Brendan Haha if I can’t make it to the dinner, I’ll drop off the wine beforehand. I haven’t had time to hunt for the pie yet though. Will hopefully find it tomorrow.

Participant

I was hoping my sister-in-law from The Philippines could come stay with us as our ayi, but was told since we are related that we couldn’t get her a Z visa and she’d just have to come on an L. But, it looks like if she does that then she is limited to a 30-day maximum stay.

Is that pretty much right, or would she be able to get it extended through one of these visa processing places?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.