Chinese DIY Inventions

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChinese DIY Inventions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Nothing at all to do with Chengdu, but pretty freaking amazing

Participant

Melina.. looked through – lots of those are *amusing* for sure..but what’s “amazing” about anything in that list? Looks like a collection of crap, really.

That ‘safety slide’ looks like a *disaster*, any building who installs that for ‘building escape safety’ will absolutely regret it – and I can imagine the lawsuits that would come of it’s implementation.

Most of the rest of the stuff just looks like, seriously, a collection of crap that kids put together from stuff they find in the trash..

Participant

Hey Rick, well, I guess you must be more mechanical-minded than me because there’s no way I could put together a working robot with a few hundred bucks and a couple of wire coat-hangers, not to mention the solar-powered car, functional prosthetics, home-made helicopters or the farmer dude who made his own mini-cannons to warn off persistent developers. That last one’s definitely my favorite. I can’t even think about him without laughing out loud 🙂

A few of them did look pretty crap though, I’ll give you that. I wouldn’t be getting in any of the “submarines” and it’s a fair bet that one or two of the “flying machines” will never get off the ground.

Participant

Melina.. looked through – lots of those are *amusing* for sure..but what’s “amazing” about anything in that list? Looks like a collection of crap, really.

That ‘safety slide’ looks like a *disaster*, any building who installs that for ‘building escape safety’ will absolutely regret it – and I can imagine the lawsuits that would come of it’s implementation.

Most of the rest of the stuff just looks like, seriously, a collection of crap that kids put together from stuff they find in the trash..

What a Debbie Downer.

Participant

@Melina RE: “must be more mechanical-minded”

Maybe – I always did love buying things and building things, running off to radio shack with a few bucks while my mom did her shopping etc.

My brothers built me a motorbike out of scrapyard parts when I was 12 – maybe Canadian education is different – from about 12/13 years old we have to choose some electives which usually include woodworking, shop(metal), mechanics, engineering(includes electrical/structural), etc.. and given some scrap, most of the crap in the list could be built better by a group of high-school students imo 😀 I give a lot of that an F!

It’s still fun, though..and what’s more interesting to me is not so much what they’ve built, just that the (mostly farmers) are doing what they really *want* to do, and could have potentially been WAY better than they are had they been given the opportunities when growing up. I think the focus should be on “Look, education system, maybe the list would be of ground-breaking products rather than shit if you actually educate the masses.” 😀

Participant

Submarines seem to be every so popular in Chinese farming communities!

They look great. Just like real submarines…..

Except:

Keymaster

Sometimes you can find incredible things in China.

I started a project with the Natooke bicycle guys a few months ago called the Banana Boat, which is a modified sanlunche that we use for outdoor music and movie events (we used it last night when we watched Big Trouble in Little China).

While setting it up I went through this whole process of figuring out what wattage of speakers and amps to use, how to set it up for maximum efficiency for a mobile system (power versus weight), etc. In the end I ended up finding a powered speaker, as in, with an amp inside it, which also had a battery inside of it. It has a USB port on the back, you can plug in a USB key with mp3s on it and it will play them automatically. I’ve never seen or even heard of this in the West, but it’s so convenient here. This is usually what you see old people singing karaoke with at People’s Park.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.