Chiropractor in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChiropractor in Chengdu?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone know of any chiropractors or osteopaths in Chengdu? Any recommendations (or steer clear advice) would be much appreciated.

Participant

Most massage places does ‘basic’ adjustments. They don’t know what they are doing most of the time.

I been meaning to check out this place up on ‘yongfeng lu.’ They have signs up for back aliments (like scoliosis and what not).

You can try gochengdoo, but read some stuff on there and the Chiro dudes here are not good (and quite expensive).

Worst case, i can adjust you. I’m no expert by any means, but my friends all love me when i adjust them. I would check if there are any imbalances (muscle or spinal) and go from there.

Keymaster

Here’s a foreign chiropractor with an office near Ikea: Karen Rosel in Chengdu

The massage places perform some basic adjustments as Jerry said. I don’t think it’s unsafe personally, but they obviously do not have the same level of training with regard to spinal conditions as a real chiropractor.

Participant

Thanks guys! Actually it’s for my girlfriend and we already get weekly massages but I think her back problems call for some serious expertise and preferably foreign training.

@JerryS, do you have the name of the place on Yongfeng Road?

@Charlie, thanks for the link. Seems like she might be the only foreign-trained practitioner in town. We’ll check her out and report back for everyone else’s future reference.

Participant

Long overdue follow-up, but for anyone else who’s interested, Dr. Karen Rosel of Tianfu Wellness turned out to be awesome. She’s very friendly and professional, takes a really thorough holistic approach and, most importantly, appears to have effected a total cure of my gf’s longstanding lower back pain. Highly recommended.

Participant

Hi, will you please give a brief description about how was the therapy? do they fix purely by hand or with some machine? and costs? I have long history problem with my spine, especially the neck… therefore, i am very cautious and scare when get to the neck part…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Long overdue follow-up, but for anyone else who’s interested, Dr. Karen Rosel of Tianfu Wellness turned out to be awesome. She’s very friendly and professional, takes a really thorough holistic approach and, most importantly, appears to have effected a total cure of my gf’s longstanding lower back pain. Highly recommended.

I hadn’t heard of a chiropractor being in Chengdu before – pretty cool thing to have available.

Participant
    Quote:
    Hi, will you please give a brief description about how was the therapy? do they fix purely by hand or with some machine? and costs?

Basically, my girlfriend’s treatment went as follows. Before we even went, the doctor emailed her a couple of super detailed questionnaires asking about her medical history and current state of health, including what she eats and how much she sleeps and all that kind of thing.

Then in the first session, she took a really detailed oral history and asked lots of questions about the current pain and any past pain/treatments.

The actual treatment was mostly gentle manipulation on the table and a few stretches to do at home. There was also a little bit of gentle stretching using some kind of mechanical table and some block work, where the doc put blocks under her hips or whatever and just let her lie there for a bit.

I don’t know what it’s called, but she also used that weird-ass hand-held machine that delivers very concentrated, very localized pressure in the form of discrete taps.

But if you have any concerns about any particular type of treatment, just talk to her about it. I’m sure she would listen to you and find an alternative rather than going ahead and doing something you’re not comfortable with.

Of course, there is always some kind of very minimal risk with this kind of treatment, which is why you have to sign a waiver before you start. But like I said before, I would totally recommend Dr. Karen if you’re in pain. My girlfriend only had about five treatments and she is now totally fine after suffering through it for years.

For the cost, last I heard it was 450 RMB for the initial consultation and 300 for follow-ups. If you need a receipt so you can charge it to a foreign insurance provider, then its a couple of hundred more.

Participant

Quite expensive for Chinese standards.

Chiropractic work as a homeopathy is ‘iffy’ and kinda cultish when looking at the culture of Chiropractors.

Since it’s a woman who does the work, i doubt she can be able to do sports Chiropractic adjustments. I may be sexist but it’s the truth 9 out of 10 times.

Good that you liked her, hopefully a sports Chiro would make a move to Chengdu.. But the market for that field is damn low.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Since it’s a woman who does the work, i doubt she can be able to do sports Chiropractic adjustments. I may be sexist but it’s the truth 9 out of 10 times.

Where do you get that info from? My sister has been a sports chiropractor for ten years and roughly 50% of her colleagues are female. They treat the highest level professional athletes: NFL, MLB, NBA, sprinters, etc.

I wouldn’t let a female chiropractor of any specialization put you off any more than a female dentist or masseuse.

Participant

The ones i go to in the states. Also a marine from DC area told me that too (he was stationed here in CD.. Also, DC is prob a mecca for Chiro work). I been to a few and the ones who does me well are the big beefy dudes. I know it’s not about the ‘popping’ but sports chiro dudes always leaves me satisfied, not in a gay way. Since i have no insurance, cost was about 40 USD per session, well worth it.

Quote:
    Since it’s a woman who does the work, i doubt she can be able to do sports Chiropractic adjustments

Don’t be such a neanderthal dude! First of all her gender has nothing to do with her ability as a practitioner, and secondly you’ve never even met her. We’ve had an honest appraisal from someone who has, and I’d say that’s useful information.

‘Sports Chiro’ is something of a misnomer, more defined by educational qualification than practice. I’ve seen literally dozens of practitioners in numerous countries, and the best of them stand out in my mind years after having seen them last. Incidentally the two absolute best of these were women, one a chiropractic physiotherapist working out of the Adidas gym in Wellington, NZ, and the other a former ballet dancer running her own Structural Reintegration (Rolfing) practice in Vancouver, Canada. The latter is a five foot nothing waif who managed to inflict pain on me so severe I can only liken it to a molten hot blade being run through my muscles and joints. Pure agony followed by an intense relief.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    The ones i go to in the states. Also a marine from DC area told me that too (he was stationed here in CD.. Also, DC is prob a mecca for Chiro work). I been to a few the ones who does me well are the big beefy dudes. I know it’s not about the ‘popping’ but sports chiro dudes always leaves me satisfied, not in a gay way. Since i have no insurance, cost was about 40 USD per session, well worth it.

You have a right to select a chiropractor on any criteria that you choose, but publicly stating that this chiropractor in Chengdu is unfit to perform her duty “because she’s a woman” is really silly. Especially immediately after a testimonial from someone else, who was actually treated by this person, and said she was awesome.

Participant

There are other reviews of her. I did a search on her when i needed one. Def not my style, like you said, diff opinions.

Of course i never met her. Maybe i am wrong maybe i am right. During my search for one, i asked a guy from DC area (who lived in CD) what he thought of her. He did not have many things positive. Did he visit her? Not sure, but he told me not to go to her. So can i visit her, sure, will she be so awesome that her techniques takes my breath away? Maybe.

The few women chiros i been didnt have much of an effect for me. The basic adjustments and im off with my day, nothign wrong with this of course. While males i been with (one sports and the other one just your ‘avg’ chiro), did good adjustments while telling me to careful with my line of workouts and the ‘root’ of it. There are diff type of Chiros out there, finding one that fits your needs is essential.

Quote:
    Def not my style

So I’m deducing from this and another post you like big beefy dudes with no shirts. Got it.

Participant

There isnt wrong with being gay ;). From what i hear CD is like capital of gayness in China? More than San Fran or Vancover, or Rio or Philly? Not sure havent met the right ‘dude’ 😉

Participant

@Brendan: any links to sites with big beefy dudes with no shirts on? Just, you know, exploring my options….

Participant
    Quote:

Seriously Jerry? What year is it? This is offensive and idiotic. Where are you getting these stats? 9 times out of 10. This is the dumbest thing I’ve seen you write so far. And you’ve certainly written a lot of dumb shit.

Thanks Charlie and Brendan for sticking up for us weaker sex.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Seriously Jerry? What year is it? This is offensive and idiotic. Where are you getting these stats? 9 times out of 10. This is the dumbest thing I’ve seen you write so far. And you’ve certainly written a lot of dumb shit.

iceburn.gif

On a constructive note, thanks Melina for posting information about the chiropractor that you found. My sister was urging me to find a chiropractor so I could get adjusted at least a few times a year, and I will pay Dr. Karen a visit to see how it goes.

Participant

Tis be the year of this year. Regardless its my opinion, built up from past experience. For some they can see it as ‘idiotic’ others may use it (for better or worse). And i do write some dumb shit, durrr, its the internt nevr take everything fo granted.

Back to topic. Theres also a chiro place in Yulin, Yongfong lu, right before the river. Might check that place out. Poss a back care special hospital so prices could be fair and hope they do xray as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.