VPN Comparison

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVPN Comparison

• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

GFW blocks upgraded since June, let’s make a compare of vpns. If you know one of them is not safe enough to use, you can post too.

My line: Telecom 10M

VPNGate(Free): not usable since June, GFW breaks connection.

Private Internet Access VPN(Paid): not usable since June, GFW breaks connection.

Goagent(Free): Since google is under heavy blockade, needlessly to say goagent is gone.

Tenacy(Free and Paid): blocked even before June, quit free vpn service. And it use PPTP/L2TP/OpenVPN, openvpn is under most heavy blockade. PPTP/L2TP is not safe.

Psiphon3(Free): VPN and SSH both good.

I2P(Free):usable but slow.

Tor Browser4.0(Free):usable, better than I2P.

Shadowsocks(Need to construct your own server, free ones are not safe):

Plan to construct one for youtube, but seems GFW is blocking this too.

This may be the fastest one.

Please post yours.

Participant

We’ve been using VPN.ac lately around here.  There’s a dedicated set of servers optimized to handle traffic being rerouted from China.  The configuration app is also pretty straightforward and offers easy access to tweak your connection settings.  OpenVPN ECC/XOR/256-bit all seem to work alright alongside L2TP, just depends.

Like any service anymore I think it can be a bit touch and go so you’ve got to be on top of switching up connection settings, servers etc.  sometimes still it’s a bit slow.

Been happy with VPN.ac’s service and their commitment to sorting out extra workarounds for China-based clients.  Pretty cheap and if you sniff around for reviews and such you can usually get the service way cheaper.  A recent special was even as little as just over $2 a month (for a year upfront).

Participant

Thanks for those infos, does any one know how do VPN.ac compare to service like Astrill or Vyr-vpn ?  I also heard good feedback about Strong Vpn but never as the opportunity to try it so far.

Also it looks like Freegate is still working. Do you guys use your own router , or do you stick with your Provider equipements ?

Participant

express vpn would be a nice try, stable and very fast(for most of servers)

Keymaster

Every VPN I’ve tried works intermittently. Last week I saw a friend using Hide My Ass VPN in Shanghai and it looks really good, there are hundreds of servers to choose from inside a native Mac app. But the coolest thing is that it has a feature where it will ping all the servers and tell you which one has the fastest upload/download speeds. Standard price for VPN services seems to be around $5/month or $60/year and I think HMA VPN is the same price.

Participant

I still don’t experience problems with StrongVPN. 😀

Participant

got this ‘yes vpn’, it still works but sometimes lags heavily

Participant

Good to see that TOR is back with an updata to their old TorBrowser. But it’s not really usable for me, way to slow. Just connected using bridges. Is there anything else I need to tweak to make it faster?

Participant

Pure VPN is intermittent some times but 90% of the time works just perfect

I used Strong for over a year and it was OK. Speeds were OK, disconnections every once in a while.

VyprVPN does not work at all. I was working with their tech support for over 2 weeks and finally just got my money back. Chengdu to any of their Asia servers is completely unusable.

Express is by far the fastest, most reliable that I’ve used so far. But it’s also the most expensive. I feel that it’s worth it.

Participant

I also use ExpressVPN. Been using it since august last year and have had no problems continue using it since the crackdown.

Connections are very stable and a long list of servers to choose from.
    Got a nice app but also supply all the information for setting connections up manually. I often have a connection last 8 to 10 hours without any disconnects.

For my best experience, I have to connect to severs in Asia, such as Hongkong, Singapore or Philippines.

If you want 30 days extra for free, use this link.
    https://www.expressvpn.xyz?referrer_id=8420355

You will get 30 days free and so will I.

Participant

Anybody using a Astrill router?

Participant

I use VPN.ac with AdvancedTomato installed on a Netgear R7000 purchased on Taobao. Works great.

Keymaster

Anybody using a Astrill router?

I didn’t realize that they sell routers… I checked their site and I happen to have one of the exact routers that they sell. I emailed them and asked if I can setup Astrill on the same router that I already have, if I can, I’ll probably buy the service and give it a shot. The router itself (the more expensive one) is amazing though, phenomenal range and speed. It was recommended to me here on the forum by Ben.

Participant

I’m interested to know what’s the benefit of installing a vpn directly on a router ?

Is it only to have it working directly without having to start it up on your computer ?

Keymaster

I’m interested to know what’s the benefit of installing a vpn directly on a router ? Is it only to have it working directly without having to start it up on your computer ?

Anything that connects to the router is automatically run through the VPN. This means that you not only don’t have to run any VPN software on your computer, but all other devices that are connected are also routed: phones, tablets, game consoles, etc.

Participant

I’m interested to know what’s the benefit of installing a vpn directly on a router ? Is it only to have it working directly without having to start it up on your computer ?

Anything that connects to the router is automatically run through the VPN. This means that you not only don’t have to run any VPN software on your computer, but all other devices that are connected are also routed: phones, tablets, game consoles, etc.

Right, that’s more or less what I was thinking, I guess you would have to add some Chinese website ( taobao,jd ect… ) to the vpn ignore list. However  with this method can you still use the openweb mode with Astrill ? Or is it open vpn / stealthmode only ? ( Open web is the fastest for me most of the time )

Thanks for the tips.

Right, that’s more or less what I was thinking, I guess you would have to add some Chinese website ( taobao,jd ect… ) to the vpn ignore list.

Not quite that easy, but you can create a script which adds static routes for all Chinese IP addresses ~5400 routes. This means any traffic destined for jd, youku, wechat etc. doesn’t go through the VPN.

Taobao is bit tricky as they will direct your traffic based on DNS resolution. This means you will get their foreign site. There are a couple of ways round this though.

The router itself (the more expensive one) is amazing though, phenomenal range and speed. It was recommended to me here on the forum by Ben.

I use this router as a wifi bridge to my home media server. It is super reliable and I can get over 35MB/s with it. I did try flashing dd-wrt – wasn’t impressed. It was definitely slower and unstable, but that was almost 2 years ago.

Participant

Lots of VPN providers also sell routers flashed with either DD-WRT or Tomato to run the VPN through the router. The benefit is that the router processes the VPN tunnel. You get faster download speeds in my opinion.

At first, I flashed the Netgear R7000 with DD-WRT but it was buggy so the VPN.ac tech recommended AdvancedTomato. I flashed it and now its been quite stable for over a month.

In my setup, I also have another wifi router to use just for a plain China internet connection to use China sites like Taobao.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.