VPN Comparison

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVPN Comparison

• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

In my setup, I also have another wifi router to use just for a plain China internet connection to use China sites like Taobao.

This is important. You don’t want ALL your traffic to go through the VPN gateway, even if you do add static routes for Chinese addresses. I use different DHCP profiles on my main router to choose which devices go through the VPN and which go directly through my China Telecom connection. The same effect can be achieved by manually configuring the network settings on devices. I have never found it beneficial to run torrent traffic through a VPN. It is slower and you run the risk of DMCA scare letters.

Participant

Ben I wonder if you could give me some advice?

I have had a really slow connection to my VPN just using my macbook for the last few days.  My iPad and phone have been working perfectly.  Any suggestions?  It uses an automatic DHCP address.

Participant

I have had a very slow connection too! (Using ExpressVPN) I thought it might be something to do with Ramadan and increased sensitivity. I haven’t tested with my other devices, however.

Participant

Having no problems with Astrill. Still fast.

Participant

@Natasha: try different servers. ExpressVPN has so many different servers. I use the ones from Hong Kong, Singapore, Philippines mostly.

They give me the best connections.

Ben I wonder if you could give me some advice? I have had a really slow connection to my VPN just using my macbook for the last few days.  My iPad and phone have been working perfectly.  Any suggestions?  It uses an automatic DHCP address.

If you are using the same wifi connection and vpn on all devices, but your macbook is slower then I can only assume it is some issue with your macbook. It could be some service like bittorrent opening too many connections. It’s a bit difficult to debug things like this without access to the device. A wifi router with a persistent VPN connection would solve these kind of issues.

Ben,
    Dedicated VPN router recommendations? I tried setting one up with DD-WRT on an old chinese router but I’ve given up on that.

Dedicated VPN router recommendations? I tried setting one up with DD-WRT on an old chinese router but I’ve given up on that.

I don’t have much experience with this. I have been using a raspberry pi as a VPN gateway for years now. I did experiment with dd-wrt as an alternative back then but found it to be unreliable, not as flexible or quick, so gave up. If I were to try again then I would use an Asus running TomatoUSB – probably an old RT-N16, N66U or AC66u. I have experience with those routers and know they are stable and easy to flash. If you want something newer and available from jd.com at a reasonable price then the netgear r6300v2 is an awesome router – Charlie mentioned it earlier in this thread. It has a few different custom firmwares available for it now.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.