Cops Near Wuhou Temple

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCops Near Wuhou Temple

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I live pretty close to the Tibetan area around Wuhou Temple and today noticed police cars parked every 20 m along the streets, police patrolling on foot everywhere, big cop vans parked at the corners of major intersections.. anyone know what’s going on?

Participant

I think they’re “keeping the peace”. I’ve seen a few articles over the last week about major unrest in Tibetan areas. This one from the New York Times is a couple weeks old but sums it up nicely.

Also, apparently China just fired 3 Tibetan Officials for failing to crack down on unrest.

Participant

I think they’re “keeping the peace”. I’ve seen a few articles over the last week about major unrest in Tibetan areas. This one from the New York Times is a couple weeks old but sums it up nicely.

Also, apparently China just fired 3 Tibetan Officials for failing to crack down on unrest.

Participant

Speaking of cops, did anyone see the HUGE police presence at the US consulate yesterday? The story is pretty amazing, and has been covered in the western press, and even on weibo (but with somewhat different details). Still kinda sensitive, so don’t wanna go into it here or post links, but if you follow what the honchos here do, this is big stuff…especially for Chongqing folks….Chengdu makes the western newspapers AGAIN!

Participant

Speaking of cops, did anyone see the HUGE police presence at the US consulate yesterday? The story is pretty amazing, and has been covered in the western press, and even on weibo (but with somewhat different details). Still kinda sensitive, so don’t wanna go into it here or post links, but if you follow what the honchos here do, this is big stuff…especially for Chongqing folks….Chengdu makes the western newspapers AGAIN!

Participant

丁亥年岁尾,平西王就封,召来俊臣掌刑部。臣至,兴大狱,杀旧吏,剿豪强,禁丝竹,恃学广而闻多,事王侯,人皆以为华,多褒贬,谤平西王。王忌其骄而祸己,欲弃之。臣怒,壬辰年初,臣夜遁,入蜀,投西番之门而不入。事泄,上震怒。急召校尉无数,循车辙围而擒之,天下震动,仕人围而哂之

Story is somebody from Chongqing working too hard, have serious disease, he went to Chengdu to seek American doctors help, after one day and one night, he give up. Finally take away by Chinese doctors from Beijing. Chongqing part now claim that this guy need take a vacation for his disease.

Participant

丁亥年岁尾,平西王就封,召来俊臣掌刑部。臣至,兴大狱,杀旧吏,剿豪强,禁丝竹,恃学广而闻多,事王侯,人皆以为华,多褒贬,谤平西王。王忌其骄而祸己,欲弃之。臣怒,壬辰年初,臣夜遁,入蜀,投西番之门而不入。事泄,上震怒。急召校尉无数,循车辙围而擒之,天下震动,仕人围而哂之

Story is somebody from Chongqing working too hard, have serious disease, he went to Chengdu to seek American doctors help, after one day and one night, he give up. Finally take away by Chinese doctors from Beijing. Chongqing part now claim that this guy need take a vacation for his disease.

Participant

The real story is sensational, the Chinese one is absurd

Participant

Participant

@Linka999 Yeeeah… that’s not even remotely close to what I’ve just read in foreign news.

@Justin Cheers, that clears it up. I figured it was something to do with that. Hope nothing goes off here. Feels like a build-up.

Participant

@Linka999 Yeeeah… that’s not even remotely close to what I’ve just read in foreign news.

@Justin Cheers, that clears it up. I figured it was something to do with that. Hope nothing goes off here. Feels like a build-up.

Participant
    Quote:

Quite.

Participant
    Quote:

Quite.

Keymaster
    Quote:

I didn’t notice that, but the US Consulate tends to freak me out in general. Going inside there I have a general sense of unease. Maybe because I’ve been in there twice when they had a random “Terrorist attack drill” with alarms going off, etc.

I’ve been seeing a lot of huge newspapers and websites talking about Western Sichuan recently. Funny how the entire world is talking about these issues but there is virtually no discussion or even acknowledgement of them at all in Chengdu. Another case of people outside of China often having much more information about China than people actually in China.

Keymaster
    Quote:

I didn’t notice that, but the US Consulate tends to freak me out in general. Going inside there I have a general sense of unease. Maybe because I’ve been in there twice when they had a random “Terrorist attack drill” with alarms going off, etc.

I’ve been seeing a lot of huge newspapers and websites talking about Western Sichuan recently. Funny how the entire world is talking about these issues but there is virtually no discussion or even acknowledgement of them at all in Chengdu. Another case of people outside of China often having much more information about China than people actually in China.

Participant

@Linka999: close but no cigar. lol

it is getting harder for people to seek an asylum now

@Charlie: isn’t that interesting the way how we are treated over there

@Danielle: wut is the story you heard?

Participant

@Linka999: close but no cigar. lol

it is getting harder for people to seek an asylum now

@Charlie: isn’t that interesting the way how we are treated over there

@Danielle: wut is the story you heard?

Participant

Just google “chengdu consulate asylum”, seems like a very realistic possibility. They’re right in terms of how the dogs eat the other dogs when leadership transitions happen – even when they don’t, when Shanghai party boss got a little too high and ‘dangerous’ Beijing started a corruption accusation war and won. Google “Chen Liangyu”, 5 years ago or so, same sort of thing.

Participant

Just google “chengdu consulate asylum”, seems like a very realistic possibility. They’re right in terms of how the dogs eat the other dogs when leadership transitions happen – even when they don’t, when Shanghai party boss got a little too high and ‘dangerous’ Beijing started a corruption accusation war and won. Google “Chen Liangyu”, 5 years ago or so, same sort of thing.

Participant

6889096-2741564.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.