Corruption at Big Love Festival in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCorruption at Big Love Festival in Chengdu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Anyone else hearing about this? A number of people have been saying that the Big Love “boss” took a mountain of cash and fled, leaving a lot of artist fees unpaid. I still haven’t been paid. Gulp!

I saw this Weibo from Liboqing last night also:

今天看到媒体说成都大爱音乐节出事了。老板携巨款潜逃,助手被抓,警方介入。可笑的是,之前主办方居然联系我的工作人员,说因为票房不好,想用我的微博宣传一下他们,付费给我。更搞笑的是被拒后居然问能不能请我演出?演出费用是多少。记住,我不是歌手,更不会挣这样的钱。成都的声誉都被你们毁尽了

Participant

wow! Really bad news if true.

I was chatting to a friend on Sunday and we had a couple of points about corruption at the festival.

The scalpers. I know it is common at events here but how can they sell tickets that much cheaper? How do they get the tickets? They must be making money so are they stolen tickets or do they have ‘friends’ in the ticket office? Surely the organizers would benefit by reducing prices but having all the money come directly to them.

The ticket prices with the scalpers changed day-to-day. I wasn’t there on Saturday but I heard the tickets outside were more expensive than on Thursday and Friday. That kind of makes sense if they were expecting Saturday to be busier but they also were asking for more cash on Sunday evening with only a few hours of the festival left.

Most of the scalpers on Sunday were asking for 200 for an actual wrist band or 150 to take you to the gate with a used wrist band. Even if you bought a wrist band they were taken off you at the gate and probably given straight back to the scalpers.

Also on Sunday, there were people all over the festival selling soft drinks and beer cheaper than at the official stands. 5 rmb for cold Harbin, great, but if I worked for Carlsberg and had paid a shit load of money to ensure my beer was the only one for sale at the festival then I’d be mighty pissed off.

It looked as if on Sunday people just didn’t care about trying to hide it anymore, everybody had their hands in the till.

Participant

Re accusations of doing a runner: just hold on. I posted about my gym that closed for two months for renovations. Weibo was full of rumours that the boss had skipped town, one of my students even said “yes, it’s true, you’ve lost all your money”. The gym opened yesterday, all previous memberships are being honoured. I reserved judgement, decided to wait. Libel/slander suit avoided…

Participant

just another day in the reliably corrupt Middle Kingdom, keep us posted Charlie!

Keymaster

Just published a post about this: Review: Big Love Music Festival Turns to Big Scorn

Participant

Here is the link to the news about BIG LOVE, not sure about the hosting party’s corruption issue, but it is true that they had a poor management and lost 40 million RMB for the festival…..

http://sc.sina.com.cn/z/music0626/index.shtml

They have an official weibo: http://sc.sina.com.cn/news/shenbian/2012-06-27/1033460.html

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Here is the link to the news about BIG LOVE, not sure about the hosting party’s corruption issue, but it is true that they had a poor management and lost 40 million RMB for the festival…..

I’m one of the artists who didn’t get paid, by the way! I didn’t want to make the post a personal plea but a lot of the information I gathered came from people who worked for Big Love.

Keymaster

I was interviewed by China Blogcast about Big Love and music festivals in China, check it out here: China Blogcast Episode 6: Big Love

cool interview. couldn’t get it to stream, but I could download it.

a little while in i figured that the honking horns were coming from the recording and not from outside my window.

despite the relative failure of Big Love, I’m hoping that it’s just a small bump on the way to the development of China’s own music scene.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    despite the relative failure of Big Love, I’m hoping that it’s just a small bump on the way to the development of China’s own music scene.

Me too, but it’s likely a large bump rather than a small bump. Not Big Love, but the overall condition of the music and festival industry in China.

Participant

oh cool charlie you do musics?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    oh cool charlie you do musics?

Yeah, I’m a DJ. You can check out my DJ Mixes or check me out on Soundcloud.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.