Cost of a Chinese Language Tutor

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCost of a Chinese Language Tutor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’ll hopefully be studying at SWUFE next semester. I hope to pass HSK6 before July 2014. I think I might need some additional tutoring in order to reach my goal. How much does it cost if I want to find a good tutor. I know that I’ll most likely be able to find tons of chinese students who’ll gladly teach me for free or do language exchange, but I strongly doubt that I’ll learn as much as if I have a tutor who’s educated in teaching chinese.

Participant

HSK 6 in a year? Unless you are currently hsk 3/4 id drop my pink glasses man. Its easy to get to 4/5 from 0 within 1 year but a gap between 5 and 6 is actually larger than between nothing and 5.

Anyway, for 80/hour you will have more teacher choices than you will ever need. And it is even possible to try and talk some of the local teachers around into private tutoring, ive seen them doing it (i am also SWUFE guinea pig atm L)).

Keymaster
    Quote:
    HSK 6 in a year? Unless you are currently hsk 3/4 id drop my pink glasses man. Its easy to get to 4/5 from 0 within 1 year but a gap between 5 and 6 is actually larger than between nothing and 5.

Yeah, my monocle just popped out. If you can get to HSK 6 within a year, that is incredible. Even HSK 5 within one year would be very impressive. In the entire time that I’ve been in China I don’t know if I’ve met anyone who has advanced at that pace.

Participant

I remember from one of your other posts that you’ve already passed HSK 4.

I recommend focusing hard not just on HSK 6 study materials, but also on what you’ll need to communicate successfully in the industry you intend to enter.

There will always be specific language and expressions, and no testing system, even the rather extensive HSK system, prepares you for everything you need to know. I Tested HSK 4 in 2011. I’m probably HSK 5 now. I work at a Chinese auto parts manufacturer where the primary language is Chinese and a decent amount of the top level management speaks little English. Had I passed HSK 6 prior to starting here I’d have still faced many many challenges.

Best thing you can do is live the language. Get a tutor, study hard, but also strive to make Chinese friends who have no interest in learning English. Then hang out with them as much as you possibly can. Immerse yourself. Watch Chinese TV, read Chinese newspapers, listen to Chinese talk radio. Read. Write. Communicate. Listen. The only way to truly increase the rate of your improvement is to increase the amount of time you spend studying. That includes conversations with locals where you’re forced to use the vocabulary you’re learning.

I’m not studying HSK right now, but I plan to sit for the test before the end of the year to see where I stand. Should be interesting.

Participant

yeah, i passed hsk4 last year, i should probably have mentioned that 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.