Costca Coffee at Raffles Mall as a Wifi Hangout

HomeForumsIn ChengduCostca Coffee at Raffles Mall as a Wifi Hangout

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m always in search of a new conveniently located wifi hangout where I can bring my laptop and crank out some code while downing some decent coffee. So when I saw Costa Coffee at the new Raffles Mall, I was pleasantly surprised at the tastefully appointed decor, comfortable seating and ample electric outlets. The only drawback I could see in that first walk-through was the lack of its own restroom. It warranted a visit. I normally order the cheapest coffee because I want to be able to afford going everyday if I want to. Costa Coffee doesn’t offer drip coffee so I ordered a medium cup of Americano for 25 RMB, which tasted great.

Unfortunately I was soon to face a deal-breaker. I opened up my laptop and found the “Costa Coffee Free Wi-Fi” hotspot, disabled my custom DNS servers and opened a browser to find their login screen. What a disappointment to discover that their Internet speed is unusably abysmal.

2246697202.png

Costa Coffee is a great place to meet up with friends or read a book. But don’t expect to use the wifi there. Guess I won’t be going back any time soon. Next stop: Pacific Coffee downstairs. It’s really too bad Costa Coffee’s internet is so slow because its the only cafe in the mall with its own entrance external to the mall. Costa Coffee opens at a respectable hour of 8am; great for getting a full morning of work done. The rest of the mall doesn’t open until 10am.

Participant

25 RMB? HOLY SHIT!!! Damn.. I guess ill stay living outside the city, inflation is retardidly high in the city… Same cup of joe, i can get for 8-12 rmb…

Keymaster

20-25 yuan for coffee is about average for Chengdu now. A coffee shop opened near my office and an Americano is 20 yuan but I’m well outside of the 3rd ring road here.

Did you talk to them about the internet speed? Maybe the guy working there is downloading the Lord of the Rings trilogy in 1080p or something.

Also, that score, hahah. F- in internet speed.

Quote:
    25 RMB? HOLY SHIT!!! Damn..

Dude, at the coffee shop that I mentioned above they have certain varieties that are over 200 yuan! Chengdu Ain’t Cheap!

Participant

200.. WOW…

For that, might as well make your own… Grab an instant coffee thingy, add some honey and a 2x cap fulls of bailey… Easily the best coffee i ever had. Cost? Less than 200…

Participant

Hi Trudat, and other guys:

Any other places you can recommend for good wifi, I am depending on a usb stick at the moment (which is expensive) until the connection in my apartment is up.

Any suggestions.. places where you actually upload as well as download reasonably well?

Participant

Yeah 25 RMB is steep especially when you think of what it would cost at Starbucks in the States.

Davey, I’d recommend the Starbucks just outside of the Millennium Hotel as the best place to work. But their wifi isn’t super fast either but decent enough.

Kaffestugan’s wifi is decent. Pretty good prices on coffee refills too, but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Participant

just a headsup but the carrot cake at costa coffee is terrible.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yeah 25 RMB is steep especially when you think of what it would cost at Starbucks in the States.

That is very true, a lot of expenses in Chengdu when converted to dollars are priced astronomically. If you want to save money in Chengdu, just mentally convert all of your potential expenses into dollars before you make them!

Quote:
    Kaffestugan’s wifi is decent. Pretty good prices on coffee refills too, but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

This is my favorite coffee shop in Chengdu, no question. Friendly staff, tasteful environment, and great coffee. I wish it were located in the south though.

Hi !

I’m Daniel, one of the owners of KAFFESTUGAN.

Let’s start with the coffee.

What we are selling is hand dripped coffee, we have a rostery in Qingdao who provides us with fresh beans. For hand dripped coffee it’s essential to have fresh beans and we never sell coffee roasted more than 10 days previous.

Unfortunately the prices relect this a bit, first cup is 22 for a regular cup or 25 for a large cup (we add more coffe to the large cup so it’s not diluted).

Refills are 10 kuai for a regular cup or 12 kuai for a large cup, you are free to choose any other bean of our selection of 10 beans and blends for the refill.

Internet speed seems fine, if not super quick, according to our customers, but usually it’s ok.

We also serve a selection of home cooked Swedish food, sandwiches and cakes, while we don’t have espressos we have a wide selection of milk variations for the coffees like lattes, aulait, ice-coffees and so on.

Sorry about the shameless self promotion but since we were mentioned in the thread I thought it was appropriate to post some information…

KaffeStugan

You are all very welcome to visit!

Participant

Hi Daniel, I like your cafe! Thanks for providing the info on the price of your drip coffee. It is more expensive than Starbucks, but the refill pricing is attractive. I’d definitely visit your cafe more often if it was closer to where I live.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Sorry about the shameless self promotion but since we were mentioned in the thread I thought it was appropriate to post some information…

I don’t think it’s shameless at all, it’s good to see you on here. My Sunday routine is hit The Lazy Pug for brunch and then hang out in Kaffe Stugan for an hour or so afterwards. I look forward to Sundays!

Participant

Thanks Trudat & Chris!

Daniel too for the shameless self-promotion.. just kidding of course 😉

It looks like a nice place to hang out and coffee looks really great on your website. Never was a fan of starbucks, really before China.

Hello Kaffestugan

Whoa, that was cool. I mention them and they magically appear.

I enjoy the little cookie that comes with the coffee too. Also, cool ice cubes.

Participant

Just trying out the Starbucks now in Raffles City. It’s a smallish store. No internal restrooms. Smells like nail polish inside; could just be today… Not many soft chairs or padded benches (a plus if you want to stay for more than a couple hours).

Connect to the “Starbucks” wifi hotspot for access. Like most public hotspots you need to disable any custom DNS servers for this to work. The speed is nothing to be excited about. Couldn’t even log into Taobao with the wifi.

2251270194.png

Participant

CA10201210230034-S.jpg

And we have a winner! With 8 Mb/s, hands down the Pacific Coffee Company (from Hong Kong) on level B1 of the Raffles City mall has the fastest wifi of the three cafes in the mall.

355139264.png

And with tons of plush sofa chairs, you can’t beat it for comfortable seating. On the down side, being in the basement there is zero natural lighting.

CA10201212404061-S.jpg

As far as price goes, I spent 25 kuai on a tall latte as they aren’t serving drip coffee just yet (which if they did would be 17 rmb for a tall). One perk is their frequent buyer stamp cards. The deal is buy 8 cups and get the 9th one free. That’s a better rewards system than the meaningless Starbucks China member card which you have to pay an outlandish fee to buy and get virtually zero rewards.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    And we have a winner! With 8 Mb/s, hands down the Pacific Coffee Company (from Hong Kong) on level B1 of the Raffles City mall has the fastest wifi of the three cafes in the mall.

That is crazy fast. I will return to that place, nice meeting you there yesterday Truman. That was my first time in Raffles City mall, and it is much larger and more developed than I thought it would be.

Participant

Great meeting you, as well, Charlie!

Participant

Kaffestugan closed on Mondays so tried Pacific coffee in Raffles.

Trudat, thanks a million!

Wow, it is fast.. I am thinking of camping here!

Participant

glad you liked it, Davey!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.