Ctrip Chengdu writing contest

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCtrip Chengdu writing contest

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Hey y’all

Long time reader, first time poster in the forum.

Here at the Ctrip Deathstar (headquarters in Shanghai – a travel company, if you are unaware), we’re in the midst of a Chengdu-themed writing contest. Submissions run until June 1st, and there are three categories to enter in: fiction, non fiction and poetry. You can enter as many times as you’d like and in as many categories as you wish, though you can only win one prize. Up for grabs are three RMB 2000 Ctrip vouchers (flights hotels etc) and three full body panda suits.

Previously published stuff is all good, so long as you don’t have any legal obligation against doing so (i.e. an old post on your blog is fine; a story you wrote for the South Kansas Morning Post is probably not).

This contest is part of a Ctrip/Chengdu tourism board collaboration that resulted in a couple videos that dropped this winter. You may have already heard of / seen them; that ex-Ctrip employee Sascha Matuszak (you know, that oft-bearded Chengdu hand – a major player here at CL – that talks equally about bootys and the complexities of the Chinese economy) was a driving force behind the production of the short films, but I’ll use this opportunity to point y’all in the direction of the flicks in case you haven’t seen them yet. Sascha wrote a piece on CL this winter where you can find all the links and a short intro by the man himself.

Anyway, that’s wassup. I know many of y’all are already writing that hotshit, so it seems like a good chance to get some dough for it. Tell your friends, tell your moms, whoever. Drop knowledge like it’s both jokers in a high-stakes game of dou dizhu.

Participant

Cool, I thought the deadline was in May.

Will shoot some fiction and non fiction in your general direction (~_~)

Nope – you’ve got a bit more time on your hands until the June 1st deadline. Use it well. Looking forward to checking your stuff out. Hopefully you’ve got some pals fiercely wielding the pen as well… Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition, I’ve always said.

Great.

Ernest Hemingway kicked off his writing career winning a full body grizzly suit

And Fitzgerald kicked off his by winning and wearing a full body flamingo outfit.

Wield them pens, y’all, wield them pens. I want to see a CL regular rollin’ in dough, laughing maniacally.

Participant

OK, here’s my opening line, i think it has potential: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..”

Then writer’s block kicked in….

Participant

Sorry but I’m pretty last minute.

I’m also going to till the soil at the upcoming bookworm writers group. A languid bunch they are.

6 chapters into a sci-fi novella, But I’ll polish up some chengdu themed fiction by the deadline.

Can I submit my “Confessions of a White Monkey” article as nonfiction?

Hey Elias,

No problem at all – in fact, we’ve decided to extend the initial submission period until June 8th. So you’ve got plenty of time.

Great idea with the bookworm writing group – actually, one of our judges is Catherine Platt, who I do believe is the coordinator or some such thing with the writing group.

And yes, feel free to submit “Confessions of a White Monkey” if you’d like, and I’m looking forward to reading your fiction.

One week left, people! I want to see smoke coming off those keyboards and notebooks.

Final submission period is next Friday, June 8th. Submit as many things as you want!

Participant

@ Ray..OK, here’s my opening line, i think it has potential: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..”

Then writer’s block kicked in…. ..and then I remembered this joke..and there you go!!!

Participant

Just submitted my 1st piece, two more in the works. When I registered on ctrip it signed me up as a female born in 2012. Haha. Think I had some ol’ ctrip points from a previous account with my same email address looks like they expired?

Two more days y’all! Let’s see them woooorrrdzzzz……

Participant

making those killer editz

Nice dude. Your story “The White Flower” is dope… check it out people, it can be seen on the website.

Participant

That hot fire is posted Son.

Starting on June 11 you Vote up: “La Conejita” “Spirit of Sichuan” and “The White Flower” so that I can rightfully land my claim to the Iron Throne.

Participant

Dear My Chengdu Story entrants,

Congratulations! The second round of the Ctrip “My Chengdu Story” writing contest begins today, and you have survived to read and write another sentence.

The voting page will be up and running by 2PM today (Monday, 11 June) China time. Remember, you can vote once per day. Whether you only vote for yourself or spread it around is up to you.

For those of you who submitted more than one thing, remember that you are only eligible to enter the final round of judging for one piece. The piece with the most votes will be the one chosen for the final round.

In order to vote, you must have a Ctrip account. If you don’t have one, you can register here. Voting begins today and runs through next Friday, 22 June 2012.

Remember to tell you friends, share on Facebook, Twitter, G+ etc., and rally some troops behind you. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Good luck!

what’s with the spam votes bro? can’t the writing speak for itself? why do people need to bother their e-friends everyday and beg for votes?

pretty hurt imo

The reason we are allowing more than one vote is that we wanted to give people the option of voting for more than one thing. Along the same lines, we also wanted to give people the option of voting more than once for a particular story, but we didn’t want people to just be able to sit there and click on one story twenty times in a row.

Additionally, we’ll be checking the IP addresses every few days to prevent people from cheating and making votes with BS accounts.

As for calling it spam voting, I’m not sure that’s the most accurate characterization, but I do see your point. The final call on who wins will be made by our panel of judges, though, and the writing can certainly “speak for itself” – but it would certainly behoove everyone to try and get their friends to vote for them.

Participant

I know you want to generate lots of traffic for your site, but calling on people to vote everyday is a bit much. I feel that now I have to make begging for votes part of my daily routine on Weibo Twitter and Facebook.

I’ll bait the hook for “phishing” once or twice, but I’m not going for the “zergling rush” strategy of competition.

Can’t we just sit back with a glass of wine and be literary about this?

I want to vote for other pieces too, but I feel like I need to upvote myself in Fiction if I want to be competitive. Can I then vote for others in non-fiction and poetry on the same day?

Participant

James,

I’ve had some troubles with the getting linked back to the competition page after signing in. After you sign in it goes back to the main ctrip page. I always have to come back here to this forum to get linked back into the voting page.

Would like to vote for other genres as well ;). Don’t make me unleash my small army of students to vote for me on this website haha.

Anyway, look forward to seeing the results!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.