Currencies available in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCurrencies available in Chengdu

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi can anyone tell me which banks in Chengdu give different currencies in particular USD, Singapore Dollar, Hong Kong Dollar, Thai Bhat and the Canadian Dollar. Also what is the procedure for foreigners do I need to show my passport or other to obtain foreign currency?

I would appreciate any advice thank you.

Diamond

Participant

try BOC at the mule and horse market (骡马市).

Participant

try BOC at the mule and horse market (骡马市).

Participant

I normally go to the Bank of China on the 1st Ring Road (between yulin bei lu and fangcao jie).

The old women milling about outside should be able to give you a better rate than the bank and you don’t need to wait as long. They also have a larger selection of currencies and if they don’t have the one you’re looking for they’ll get someone to deliver it.

Participant

I normally go to the Bank of China on the 1st Ring Road (between yulin bei lu and fangcao jie).

The old women milling about outside should be able to give you a better rate than the bank and you don’t need to wait as long. They also have a larger selection of currencies and if they don’t have the one you’re looking for they’ll get someone to deliver it.

Participant

@AM, post a map on where it is? I go to the one down the road of the US consulate (towards Subway). The BofC also has some dude waiting to exchange currency (i also hear he gives better rates, i got 6.35 per USD in Feb). Trying to compare rates from banks or black market.

Participant

@AM, post a map on where it is? I go to the one down the road of the US consulate (towards Subway). The BofC also has some dude waiting to exchange currency (i also hear he gives better rates, i got 6.35 per USD in Feb). Trying to compare rates from banks or black market.

Participant

Google Maps – From the sichuan gymnasium metro station (computer city) to the bank.

They’ll normally offer you the exact same rate as the bank but you can bargain with them to get a better deal.

Participant

Google Maps – From the sichuan gymnasium metro station (computer city) to the bank.

They’ll normally offer you the exact same rate as the bank but you can bargain with them to get a better deal.

Participant

Yes, you need to show your passport and it’s a good idea to confirm that the bank actually has the currency on hand before sitting down to fill out the paperwork. I would think they always keep high-demand currencies like American money on hand but it’s common to run out of Canadian dollars and then they may send you to another branch, and then that branch may also be out. Not something to leave til the last day before you travel. Also, large amounts are best done by a Chinese friend. If memory serves, for more than 10 000 you need to give some sort of proof that your RMB is legal. A local person can do it without any problem.

Participant

Yes, you need to show your passport and it’s a good idea to confirm that the bank actually has the currency on hand before sitting down to fill out the paperwork. I would think they always keep high-demand currencies like American money on hand but it’s common to run out of Canadian dollars and then they may send you to another branch, and then that branch may also be out. Not something to leave til the last day before you travel. Also, large amounts are best done by a Chinese friend. If memory serves, for more than 10 000 you need to give some sort of proof that your RMB is legal. A local person can do it without any problem.

Participant

Does, anyone have the phone number of one of these ‘informal’ agents?

call 13608032639.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.