Custom Suits and Shirt Event in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduCustom Suits and Shirt Event in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve noticed there’s quite a lot of interest in getting suits and shirts tailored amongst the international community in Chengdu, but there don’t seem to be too many options with decent quality and reasonable price.

An acquantance of mine has a tailor’s shop in Beijing and could be interested in taking a trip to Chengdu and having a day of measuring, fabric selection and taking orders from the local expat community. After which the shirts and suits could be delivered to chengdu once ready.

Would many of you guys be interested? What sort of price range is reasonable? Do you think the expat market is big enough here to justify them making the trip? Let me know your thoughts and maybe we can all have some nice new suits for 2013!

Hi Michael,

I can get a good quality tailormade suit for about 400 – 500 euro back home in Amsterdam. So, if the quality is about the same of what I’m used to, and the prices are significantly lower I’m interested in some new suits.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Would many of you guys be interested? What sort of price range is reasonable?

I’m interested, and I’ve spoken to a few people about this recently who are also interested! Any idea of what kind of stuff your tailor friend produces? Shirts, jackets, suits, anything in particular or everything?

I’d be interested, but I’d also want to know what kind of prices we’re looking at

Also need to know prices. I had a great fitting suit done in about a week when I was in Shanghai 2 years ago. 2 tailored shirts were also included for a total of about 800RMB.

Participant

Great to see lots of interest. I’ll try to find out prices/choices etc and let you guys know. For the moment if anyone else is interested leave a message so I can get a rough idea of demand.

@Erik – Will definitely be cheaper and the quality would be decent, but I’m not sure if anything beats a good tailor in the west!

@Charlie – More a friend of a friend! She has mentioned shirts and suits, I’ll ask if they do jackets etc. They seem to have a pretty decent reputation in BJ so would awesome if they can come!

@Nick – I’ll try to find out soon, what kind of range is suitable do you think?

@Chris – That sounds incredibly cheap! How was the quality? From what I’ve seen and heard, I don’t think it will be quite that cheap!

Well a friend of mine here knows i guy that will do a solid custom for around 800-1000 rmb, he uses him a lot. Haven’t seen any of the work first hand but i suppose I should figure that out soon

@Michael M: I’ve worn it for 2 years and I’m happy with the quality, though I’m no suit connoisseur. I was able to pick all the materials and the weight (it’s a lighter summer suit). The cut was excellent. Though the pants are a bit loose now since I’ve lost weight since then.

I do expect the this guy’s prices to be higher though. The average price for this stuff has probably increased a significant amount in 2 years. Plus I had good bargaining power last time as 2 of my friends also got things made and one of my friends was a regular. I’d still be interested if the price is a bargain compared to getting a designer suit.

Participant

I think that when comparing with what you can get in HK/Shenzhen of a reasonably high quality and good selection of materials/blends 800-1000 mentioned above is about what you’d expect down there. If the quality is equally high I don’t see why the price should end up being higher or lower, but really it comes down to material selection – different materials may be harder to work with and vary a lot in the total price, so really comes down to what you’re working with on that front..

Participant

Looks like it will be happening, December 2nd. Suits from 1200, shirts from 150, price depending mainly on fabric choice.

I’ll confirm the location and time as soon as possible, for the moemnt if anyone wants to buy a new suit leave a message and all the details will be available soon!

Participant

I’d suggest posting some photos or some sort..maybe close-ups of stitching/seams.. also, does she sew a canvas layer in-between the outside/inside layers or press/glue it in?

Participant

I’m helping her put together a poster which will have some pictures on it, I’ll send it when it’s done!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Looks like it will be happening, December 2nd. Suits from 1200, shirts from 150, price depending mainly on fabric choice.

Dang, will this just be one day? That is my birthday and I’ll be in Thailand.

Participant

That’s the day she has chosen, if it goes well she will be back though. Alternatively you could have your measurements taken elsewhere or by a friend and I could pass them on.I think she has a measuring guide of some kind.

Well, that’s too bad, I’m in Amsterdam for the next two weeks, so can’t be there. However, if this visit is a succes I’m sure she’ll com back again, and I can have some suits made at that time.

Also gives me an opportunity to see one of your suits before I decide to have one myself 🙂

Participant

@Erik and Charlie:

That’s a shame that you guys won’t be here! If you have any friends who are interested let them know and then you can inspect their suits when you come back:)

If she they have enough business this time I’m sure she’ll come back at some point!

at 150 a shirt, I’ll definitely at least get some shirts done, depending on materials.

As I was out of town last time when the tailors were here, I;m curious about your experience with tha tailors, and of course (if already delivered) what the suits and shirts look and fit like..

They were very nice and professional. I ordered a shirt and also got measurements for getting a blazer done in the future, but I won’t be back in China for about a month, so I won’t get to see the quality of the shirt until then.

Participant

Hi guys, all the stuff arrived yesterday so I’m slowly distributing the suits, shirts and coats everyone ordered at the moment.

Feedback seems positive so far, and I’m definitely pleased with the suit and shirts that I ordered for myself. If anyone who ordered needs some minor changes made I can help them find a small tailor in CD, if there are any big problems the tailor is more than happy to take things back for alterations.

The tailor should be coming back sometime in the future too, maybe after Chinese New Year, so if you’re interested in coming along next time get in touch and let me know your available dates/times.

suit.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.