Daily Chengdu Air Photos

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionDaily Chengdu Air Photos

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Checked some time this morning and it was 180. Really surprising how it can jump around SO much so quickly.. come to think of it, I noticed some wind over the weekend at night – maybe there was a slow steady breeze that blew some of the shit out of the air. Lately there hasn’t been much wind at all….maybe that’s playing a big factor in these numbers.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Wow, what a difference. What was yesterday morning like?

I didn’t check the pollution nor take a photo of the sky yesterday. It was really windy yesterday.

Quote:
    Checked some time this morning and it was 180. Really surprising how it can jump around SO much so quickly.. come to think of it, I noticed some wind over the weekend at night – maybe there was a slow steady breeze that blew some of the shit out of the air. Lately there hasn’t been much wind at all….maybe that’s playing a big factor in these numbers.

Yesterday it was really windy! Bizarrely windy for Chengdu, I thought. It was just over 170 when I checked this morning. I post temperature and the pollution rating when I take photos here: Chengdu Air

Participant

When I went out yesterday afternoon it was extremely windy. When I look back it was right around 100 then and was the low of the day.

Wind definitely effects the readings, but whether the pollution actually blows away or if it just skews the readings I am not sure.

Also, anyone see NASA’s comparison photos of a good and bad air day recently? http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=80152

Keymaster

Tuesday, January 22nd

Chengdu-Air-Jan22-forum.jpg

Quote:
    Also, anyone see NASA’s comparison photos of a good and bad air day recently? http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=80152

I saw that just the other day, really cool. The geographic conditions of Beijing allow it to clear polluted air really quickly periodically, leading to dramatic differences like that.

This image of Xian is crazy, too.

Keymaster

Wednesday, January 23rd

Chengdu-Air-Jan23-forum.jpg

Looks like it’s gonna be another beautiful day today, despite the pollution being pretty high (243).

Keymaster

Thursday, January 24th

Chengdu-Air-Jan24-forum.jpg

Pollution: 287

Keymaster

Chengdu-Air-Jan-28-forum.jpg

Pollution: 298

It’s strange, the weather has been so beautiful in Chengdu recently, but the pollution hasn’t really subsided. Saturday afternoon at bike polo by the Sichuan Gym was glorious, it felt like May. Pollution was still pretty high but it’s so much more tolerable when the sun is shining.

This may be a stupid question, but what do you do when the pollution is that high? Is there any precautions you have to take?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    This may be a stupid question, but what do you do when the pollution is that high? Is there any precautions you have to take?

It’s officially advised that you refrain from exercising outside, but what I do is wear my Respro mask when walking to the subway if it’s really bad. Otherwise I just wear a Respro mask when cycling and avoid major highways if I can because that’s where pollution is the worst.

Participant
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Coal

I read that article yesterday – that graph is terrifying. It’s great to see it explained in that way though.

Chengdu’s sky yesterday:

Chengdu-Air-Jan-30-forum.jpg

Chengdu’s sky today:

Chengdu-Air-Jan-31-forum.jpg

Participant

This article has some cool interactive photos (#2-4) where you click on the phot and it shows a similar one from a clear day.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/01/chinas-toxic-sky/100449/

Keymaster
    Quote:
    This article has some cool interactive photos (#2-4) where you click on the phot and it shows a similar one from a clear day.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/01/chinas-toxic-sky/100449/

That is really slick. Great photos, too. Thanks for the link.

Participant
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    The BBC also mentioned the air polution in China

Friends and family overseas have been contacting me asking about what the pollution is like and if it’s gotten worse. I think everyone around the world is talking about it. Although the latest thing now seems to be the discussion about Chinese hackers hitting the NYT for four months.

Chengdu-Air-Feb-1-forum.jpg

Pollution: 267

Quote:
    Although the latest thing now seems to be the discussion about Chinese hackers hitting the NYT for four months.

I know now after this story broke why I haven’t been able to open links from my feed for the last 4 months. Oh China.

Keymaster

Monday, February 4th

Chengdu-Air-Feb-4-forum.jpg

Tuesday, February 5th

Chengdu-Air-Feb-5-forum.jpg

Pollution: 316 this morning

Keymaster

These photos made it onto China Air Daily, so you can see them there everyday now: China Air Daily for quick comparisons between Chengdu and Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, etc.

Keymaster

Wednesday, February 6th

Chengdu-Air-Feb-6-forum.jpg

Pollution: 351

Participant

Check the pollution index in a few nights, just after the fireworks frenzy. i’m tipping we could hit a new high. heard Beijing has implemented restrictions on the amount of fireworks, due to the pollution. In Chengdu, no f**ks given?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.