Django Unchained Coming to China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionDjango Unchained Coming to China

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

LA Times: Django Unchained to Be Shown in China

django1.jpg

Coming to Chinese theaters on April 11th! I know a lot of people on here have seen the DVD screener that was leaked before the Oscars, but I decided to wait for an HD version to become available. No need for that now!

I wonder how big of a splash it will make in China – this is the first Tarrantino film coming to Chinese theaters.

The HD version will be out before this hits the Chinese theaters. Are you still going to wait? They will definitely cut some of the violence.

Participant

Having seen the movie back in the US I can tell you that the 2 1/2 hour movie will probably be cut down to about 8 minutes. The 8 minutes will show guys on horseback and will contain no dialogue. If the authorities allow the N word to be used you can look forward to about a 45 minute movie.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    The HD version will be out before this hits the Chinese theaters. Are you still going to wait? They will definitely cut some of the violence.

I might just see it in San Francisco in 10 days when I’m there, I already found some theaters that it’s still playing in. But between choosing to watch this in the theater or at home in HD, I choose the theater. I don’t bother with DVD screeners anymore, my backlog of movies is already long. Recently watched Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, The Imposter, etc and there are always others that I’ve downloaded and have yet to watch (Chasing Mavericks, The Bitter Buddha, Les Miserables, Hitchcock, Chronos, etc).

Participant

Charlie, I also saw the movie in SF and I know it’s still playing around the Bay Area. Best bet is the Metreon in SF.

Quote:
    But between choosing to watch this in the theater or at home in HD, I choose the theater.

Me too, but not with segments cut out. It’s a Tarantino movie and thus would not be the same with some of the more graphic scenes removed.

Quote:
    I don’t bother with DVD screeners anymore

Agreed. No point in buying a decent HDTV only to watch subpar SD content on it. Movies like Zero Dark Thirty, Argo and Django Unchained deserve to be watched in HD.

Participant

Only one minute will be cut, according to Onion AV Club. There’s nothing here even remotely sensitive to Chinese audiences and, more importantly, the Chinese govt.

Quote:
    There’s nothing here even remotely sensitive to Chinese audiences and, more importantly, the Chinese govt.

China doesn’t have a film rating system. So films are supposed to be suitable for all ages. Django unchained is a Tarantino film and so includes a healthy dose of bloody violence, nudity and bad language. I am willing to bet they will be cutting more than one minute. They cut 38 minutes from Cloud Atlas most of which were love scenes.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    China doesn’t have a film rating system. So films are supposed to be suitable for all ages. Django unchained is a Tarantino film and so includes a healthy dose of bloody violence, nudity and bad language. I am willing to bet they will be cutting more than one minute. They cut 38 minutes from Cloud Atlas most of which were love scenes.

I read that two minutes are cut today on weibo. It mentioned the Cloud Atlas cuts, too. Screenshot:

django-cuts.jpg

Quote:
    I read that two minutes are cut today on weibo. It mentioned the Cloud Atlas cuts, too

If that is true then it’s great news. I might wait to watch it on the big screen.

Participant

I saw this movie twice before I came over, definitely worth checking out. I saw Argo as well and didn’t think it was half as good, although I agree that Tarantino’s main editor dying led to it being about 25 minutes too long.

The HD version has finally arrived. I don’t have the patience to wait any longer. I will be definitely be watching this tonight.

Keymaster

I ended up seeing this in a theater in Berkeley CA. Really great, I’m glad I waited. I might see it again in the theater here when it comes out soon.

Participant

speculation on why this movie was pulled off china shelves?

Quote:

Has it been? They’re still advertising it this afternoon at Wangfujing downtown.

Keymaster
    Quote:

Source? I hadn’t heard that. That would be very strange since it had already passed all the “department of culture” checks etc.

As a side note, Die Hard 5 was being pulled from most cinemas within 2 weeks of release because no one was watching it!!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    As a side note, Die Hard 5 was being pulled from most cinemas within 2 weeks of release because no one was watching it!!

I figured that out, I tried to watch it in the theater after I got back from the US and it had already left theaters! I know the movie got terrible reviews but I was still down to see it… When I was in SF my friend told me that Die Hard 5 completely bombed in the US but that it might make back its budget in China like the most recent Resident Evil movie did.

Keymaster

Just read this: Django Pulled From Chinese Theaters

Django gets played by censors, promoted for weeks, and pulled on launch day. These guys could no be more like The Three Stooges.

Participant

Django is still having advertisements? or trailers or whatever shown on iTV movie channel. It has a big banner up!

You can buy some new movies for like 5 RMB, and lots in there for free (in HD if you have HDMI :D). I’ll check it out..but have trouble navigating the menus sometimes.

Edit: Yeh, just trailer available on iTV. Can’t find any full length/way to buy it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.