Interest in the Latest Xiaomi Smartphone?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionInterest in the Latest Xiaomi Smartphone?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m in the market for a new phone as my poor old HTC is on it’s last legs. I’ve asked a few people and a lot of people have recommended the Mi3 to me (without actually owning one themselves). So, do you have the Mi3? Can you perhaps give a little feedback on the overall performance? Or maybe even recommend a different phone in the same sort of price range? Any information would be really helpful as i’m far from an expert on the latest smartphone trends.

Thanks!

Keymaster

I haven’t used this particular phone but Xiaomi phones are impressive overall, considering their price. I know a few people here on the forum who have Xiaomi phones so they might chime in with some more information. But they don’t call Xiaomi’s founder the “Steve Jobs of China” for nothing – they’re pretty capable and incredibly low cost phones.

Participant

I know one fellow who has one. It’s a very nice looking piece of equipment and the owner seems to be rather pleased with it.

After re-reading what I wrote though this comes off as inane third-hand anecdotal evidence, but if I were you I’d definitely look into it.  I’ve considered the sad occasion when my foundontheground iPhone returns to the ether and I actually need to purchase a phone. I would likely would go this route.

Participant

I bought a Xiaomi 2 a few months ago, and I’ve been really happy with it. I only really use it for stuff like games and directions, but I haven’t found anything that won’t run on it. I think the only real difference between the 2 and the 3 is processing power, so it really depends what you want to do with it.

The only thing that sucks is you’ve gotta register to get one (in Chinese), then once you register you’ve got about a 2 minute window at a specific time on a specific day of the week, and even then they sometimes sell out after 10 seconds or less. Small production line I guess, plus it seems like everyone in China has one these days.

Participant

Can you please share where can I get a genuine and cheap XiaoMi 2 phone in Chengdu?

Participant

Myself and my wife bought the OPPO Find 5, it truly is a manificent phone and it beats the iphone in all categories hands down. Had the phone now now for 5 months and absolutely no problems. Every month a new update comes out with more added features to the software. You can compare the new iphone and the oppo online and the oppo beats basically every single new smatphone out there. Only costs 3000 RMB compared to the iphone 5 for 5500 or 4500 RMB.

Keymaster

Myself and my wife bought the OPPO Find 5, it truly is a manificent phone and it beats the iphone in all categories hands down. Had the phone now now for 5 months and absolutely no problems. Every month a new update comes out with more added features to the software. You can compare the new iphone and the oppo online and the oppo beats basically every single new smatphone out there. Only costs 3000 RMB compared to the iphone 5 for 5500 or 4500 RMB.

Just playing devil’s advocate but the iPhone is thinner, lighter, made of aluminum (instead of plastic), has a 64-bit processor (as opposed to 32-bit), etc. The Find 5 also has poor battery life, probably because of the insanely high resolution of the display. But the real advantage of iPhone is the ecosystem – connecting to other Apple devices, the iTunes App Store, etc. But if you’re going to get an Android phone, the Galaxy S4 is better than the Find5 (and the S4 is about to be replaced by the S5).

Can you please share where can I get a genuine and cheap XiaoMi 2 phone in Chengdu?

I would check for sellers on Taobao or check out Taisheng Nanlu, known as “cell phone street” in Chengdu.

Participant

You can buy them on the Xiaomi Website, there’s no registration needed or wait time right now on the 2, and the phone is 1800 Yuan. Only problem is that everything’s in Chinese so you’ll probably want to get a Chinese buddy to help you. Taobao is also an option, although there are fakes out there I’m told as well, buyer beware.

Participant

Thinner, lighter, made of ali, still does not compare to the oppo`s specs, put them side by side and youll see a huge difference, not forgetting the price tag. Battery life maybe better but whats inside the iphone is not worth the price. iTunes and app store, sure, whatever you can find there android can get. Apple is purely a  image thing, way too over priced, you pay for the name nothing else.

We own a ipad mini and its not that impressive, the games constantly crash, the thousands of adds in between game time, the annoying password verification. All this for a hefty price tag. Not worth it.

But then again everyone has their own opinion.

Participant

S4 – find 5 almost identical specs, price tag is still an issue, Few more ghz by the s4, but why pay more for almost the same hardware???

Keymaster

S4 – find 5 almost identical specs, price tag is still an issue, Few more ghz by the s4, but why pay more for almost the same hardware???

I agree – not worth it. Trying to stay on the cutting edge of Android phones is a futile endeavor anyway, there are hundreds of them per year.

Keymaster

Thinner, lighter, made of ali, still does not compare to the oppo`s specs, put them side by side and youll see a huge difference, not forgetting the price tag. Battery life maybe better but whats inside the iphone is not worth the price. iTunes and app store, sure, whatever you can find there android can get. Apple is purely a image thing, way too over priced, you pay for the name nothing else.

We own a ipad mini and its not that impressive, the games constantly crash, the thousands of adds in between game time, the annoying password verification. All this for a hefty price tag. Not worth it.

But then again everyone has their own opinion.

Price is still the only downside that I can see. The iOS App Store is unquestionably where all the best apps are.

With phones it’s debatable whether Android or iOS suit your needs better, but I think it’s obvious that the iPad with all its variations completely blows away the tablet competition. Look at app store availability of tablet-specific apps on Google Play versus iOS, it’s an enormous gulf. Better hardware quality and industrial design as well (in general, iOS devices versus Android is aluminum versus plastic, as is with Mac laptops versus PC laptops).

I have a Galaxy S3 and I use it out of necessity to check Android apps from time to time. I know it’s an older phone but it feels like a cheap plastic toy to me.

But I agree, to each their own. It’s important that Apple and Google have strong rivals to keep them on their toes. Android is amazing because it’s free and open source, and Google offers so many free services through the phone itself like Gmail, Maps, etc.

I wish that the Google and Motorola cooperation had worked out better though, I am disappointed with the quality of most Android hardware manufacturers but heard that the Nexus was well designed since Google had total control. One thing I dislike about Android is that there are so many sleazy hardware vendors – even the big ones like Samsung have their own app stores and garbage built in when you first get the phone. It reminds me exactly of buying a new PC in the 1990’s from a company like Compaq or Packard Bell and having it come loaded with apps you don’t want the first day you boot it.

You can’t argue with the price and flexibility of choice with Android though, there are so many phones every year contending with each other.

Build quality.  Some people are OK with glossy, slimy plastic. For others, they would probably pay more for something with better build quality.  The Find 5 is a good example of that.

But with that said, there are many different options out there to fit peoples’ different needs. Xiaomi mi2 and mi3 are both incredible values though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.