Dojo Houseparty Saturday 9/20

HomeForumsIn ChengduDojo Houseparty Saturday 9/20

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

This Saturday Dojo is back!

This time we have a special deal with Uber: sign up for an Uber account before sunday and use the promo code DOJOCD and get free credit! Information as that as well as the flyer in English and Chinese is below.

See you on Saturday in Flower Town! More information on the Dojo website, including address and directions.

Participant

Looks like it will be sunny – one last Dojo hurray before the Autumn sets in!!!

Whooo! Today! Cya fools there

Participant

Dang!  I’ve heard rumors about what’s in the works for this party and it sounds insane!  Definitely should check it out.

Participant

Well, I hate to be too critical… but the directions on Dojo website suck…. As near as I can figure out, you’d turn south off G318, on Yinxing Ave, then take your first left on an unnamed street (on Google Maps), then when you come to the fork, turn left on another unnamed street, Then take a left on Chong Rd, and another left on another unnamed road, follow it to the end…. Sound right?

Any chance someone can post some directions that a normal person (without much Chinese) could follow?

Hope this open anyone…

Brad.

Participant

Brad.  Follow these instructions explicity:

1) Open the attached map.

2) Print.

3) Hail cab.

4) Hand to driver.

5) Say “到这里”.

6) Arrive.

7) Party hardy.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Wish i could have made it, was sick and didnt want to get sicker. Hopefully theres a Halloween DOJO party, rather go there than Jellyfish.

Keymaster

Well, I hate to be too critical… but the directions on Dojo website suck…. As near as I can figure out, you’d turn south off G318, on Yinxing Ave, then take your first left on an unnamed street (on Google Maps), then when you come to the fork, turn left on another unnamed street, Then take a left on Chong Rd, and another left on another unnamed road, follow it to the end…. Sound right? Any chance someone can post some directions that a normal person (without much Chinese) could follow? Hope this open anyone… Brad.

Once you get to the main gate at Flower Town (三圣乡), Dojo is a 5 minute drive away. From that gate, you will make a total of two turns. It’s not complex, but it’s easy to get lost since a lot of taxi drivers don’t know their way around there and it’s dark. If the address doesn’t get you there, open the windows in your car, listen for music, and use the GPS coordinates for Dojo which are on the website.

By the way, nice to meet you on Saturday Brad.

Participant

Well, I didn’t say I wouldn’t find it, but the directions don’t inspire confidence. So… constructive criticism follows… please take it in the warm, loving and amused spirit I’m writing this with :).

Directions to parties have 2 purposes.. the first, everyone knows.. .help people find the party… but the second… and it’s just as important, most people forget about… it’s to give people confidence, they will easily find the party. If you’re wondering if you can even find it, most people will decide not to go. Getting to a party shouldn’t be something anyone needs to wonder about.

As soon as I saw the notice, I wanted to go, because I’ve been living in Chengdu about 4-8 months a year for at least 5 years now, and I only know about 3 other ex-pats. But I debated about going, because I wasn’t 100% positive I would find it. We decided to leave about an hour early, and just take our time finding it, and if we didn’t find it, we already knew where else we would go.

So.. the point is, directions NEED to give confidence… I wonder how many people decided not to go because they weren’t sure they would find it, or thought it would be too much effort to find it.

I saw two sets of directions before. 1) take subway line 2 to the second last stop…. really.. then we’re there? Nothing else to do? Haha… if the directions said, take subway line 2 to the second last stop (Honghe station), then take a pedicab from there. Don’t worry, if you give the address in Chinese to the pedicab driver, they will know where it is (about 15 RMB should be ok).

Now that inspires confidence… I can do that… I can do it without the directions too… but having it in print assures me that even though I don’t know that area of town very well, I can find this party easily.

Quick note – that’s how I did find the party, but it still wasn’t quite that easy. Even the pedicab guy had to stop and ask for directions 3 times before we found the party :).

This line though is the one that hurts…. “If you’re driving down the road toward Flower Town (三圣乡 in Chinese), you’ll turn left into Flower Town through the main gate. From the main gate, Dojo is about a 3 minute drive, or a 15 minute walk.”.

If I’m driving down the road toward Flower Town… really? any road? Doesn’t matter which direction I’m coming from, I still turn left into Flower Town?

Of course, I’m nitpicking, but I attended the Tunnel Raves in Shenzhen many times, and they had the same kind of directions. A group of 7 of us (including 3 Shenzhen natives, spent more than 2 hours walking around trying to find the rave one time, and almost gave up).  A couple of times, we decided not to go because it was too much work trying to find them.

So… just naming the roads and giving some kind of directions, like “take xxx road south about yyyy metres, turn left onto xxxx road, go xxx metres and turn right on xxxx road” would be soooooo much better.

Anyway, the party was great. I’m a little old for the music, but it was good, and it was great to meet all the people I met. Really enjoyed it.

Oh.. and I will definitely go to the next one… even if the directions still suck ;). Thanks Dojo people, you definitely put a lot of effort into this, and it’s much appreciated. I had a great time (and I even took my ex-wife).

OH.. and Mr. Klink, your directions screwed up at 2) Print.  I don’t have a printer in Chengdu, and it’s too much trouble to go a copy shop and get a map printed….. but I did take a camera shot of the Chinese address.. it was enough to get there, but not enough to give confidence I would find the place before I left.

Keymaster

“If you’re driving down the road toward Flower Town (三圣乡 in Chinese), you’ll turn left into Flower Town through the main gate. From the main gate, Dojo is about a 3 minute drive, or a 15 minute walk.”. If I’m driving down the road toward Flower Town… really? any road? Doesn’t matter which direction I’m coming from, I still turn left into Flower Town?

Yes, exactly. Coming from Chengdu, the main gate to Flower Town will be on your left. Turn into it and you’re very close to the house. Two turns away, in fact. But it can be tricky to find those turns because…

So… just naming the roads and giving some kind of directions, like “take xxx road south about yyyy metres, turn left onto xxxx road, go xxx metres and turn right on xxxx road” would be soooooo much better.

The roads aren’t marked. Only the first turn is tricky though, the second one is at a dead-end when you’re about 200 feet from the house. What we might be able to do is put up a sign at the first turn, which you see just a few feet after you enter the Flower Town gate.

Thanks for the feedback though Brad, this is an area where we can do better.

Participant

OH.. and Mr. Klink, your directions screwed up at 2) Print. I don’t have a printer in Chengdu, and it’s too much trouble to go a copy shop and get a map printed….. but I did take a camera shot of the Chinese address.. it was enough to get there, but not enough to give confidence I would find the place before I left.

I’m sorry you find most every task, whether it’s utilizing someone’s directions or printing something too quarrelsome to meddle with.  We’re glad you managed to find your way regardless of all the bitter frustrations and seemingly endless toil.  It’d be a real shame if you’d gotten lost.

As always the DOJO, I’m sure, appreciates your criticisms.  We try real hard to make it the most unique place to go for a good time in Chengdu.  Even if it means you have to go a bit out of your way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.