Eggs & Cholesterol

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEggs & Cholesterol

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 243 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Lower back being sore isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If it’s sore and DOMS-y that’s pretty normal for deadlifts since you are (and should be) using your erector spine and stuff. If it’s actually in constant pain then you might have a problem.

Quote:
    DOMS-y

Also known as hurty.

Participant

Just muscle soreness, hehe. My palm calluses ripped when I was DL last week, bloody lifting! Gave it a week, will be back at it tmrw.

Participant

dear lord the intensity

Participant

Sup chengdudes.

what are you boys eating these days?

whatcha picking up? I went backpacking for a few weeks in Peru/Ecuador so I’m working back to old 5/3/1 sets

Yes! Ye Eggs & Cholesterol rise uppeth again!!

Participant

Medical researchers are now of the opinion that the white of an egg actually cuts cholesterol. Sadly all this information just reinforces my wife’s obsession with throwing the yolks away. I have to ask myself if anyone has done any research on whether chickens have high blood pressure.

Participant

Back in the land of huge chain supermarkets I started going for just cartons of eggwhites. I’m a substitute teacher so don’t have time to deal with shells/tossing yolks (also feels wasteful… words of a former vegetarian)

Starting to go low carb again, it’s been a few months since I got back onto the carb/gluten wagon.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    what are you boys eating these days?

whatcha picking up?

I’m eating about 3-4 eggs a day, sometimes as many as 8+ depending on breakfast. I find that it’s a lot faster for me to make a protein shake in the morning though, rather than to prepare eggs, so I’ve been doing that daily. My routine is two scoops of whey, a banana, creatine, and peanut butter. Sometimes I use milk, usually water though.

As far as lifting I haven’t used any machines for anything except leg presses for a long time. I do deadlifts, chin ups, clean and jerk, squats with pretty low weight, and push ups in the morning. Since I started cycling almost daily I’ve lost some weight and I’m around 200lbs now. Feels good though.

Quote:
    Medical researchers are now of the opinion that the white of an egg actually cuts cholesterol.

Eating eggs without the yolk feels weird and unnatural to me. I know the science on eggs “changes” almost every day but I just eat whole eggs and always have.

Participant

So Charlie you found some decent Whey protein? I still go for the bargain tubs ~$50 but if I do a double scoop before and after I tend to have deadly farts ehehehehehhee.

You know what Im gonna say, MOAR SQUATS.

So I’ve just about caught up with my post Peru #s and I’m actually way ahead on my DL which is good as it lagged behind for a bit.

The only lift I’m feeling low on is Bench. I struggle at 225 (2 plates side) for 1-2 reps and 200-205 for a set of 5. Bench was never my best, but I feel kind of small laying down with shaky elbows while overgrown high school kids throw up 275, and of course the roid ragers are up to like 450.

So I’m trying to work in more chest work.

Anyways I eat different variations of chicken and broccoli for dinner, salad with cottage cheese or tuna for lunch and eggs or egg whites with spinach + turkey sausage for brekky. same same same

doing my best to cut out beer, tho i’m still known to drink a few neat whiskeys or glasses of wine( ahem bottles) on the weekend

Participant

I recommend you to check out Dave Tate’s bench press cure video on YT, Elias.

Oh Elias you do tease.

Not that I like to be controversial or anything (ahem…), but maybe you should drop benching and focus on all the good stuff like postural chain, shoulder stability, core strength etc. I’ve seen your deadlifts and you look like a cartoon cat with 1000 volts up it’s arse when you pull from the floor. I’m pulling your chain a little there, but you get my drift. Far too many people focus on upping weight at the sacrifice of good form, it’s inherent. Low back and shoulder injuries are the most common for this very reason.

Is your goal soley to add poundages to your lifts, or are you trying to focus more on adding muscle to your otherwise cat like frame? Either way you should consider improving on your form and function before trying to outdo Jocks. It’s a bitch when you have to go back to the drawing board and see all your poundages slide, but the temporarily bruised ego soon bounces back stronger once you get your lifts working smoothly without hitch.

Participant

Dont feel bad Elias, coming from B, that’s praise 🙂 Sometimes I’ll be working out, and he’ll say “What the F you doing?” Kinda like a kick in the self-esteem gonads, but he then follows up with suggestions and sound advice, which i consider and(generally) follow… however I’m still traumatised by his “you are defficient in the back muscle area” comment…..that one was hurtful..oh yeah, you see his slightly non-plussed-looking photo? When i do hammer curls, multiply that face x 100….

Quote:
    When i do hammer curls, multiply that face x 100….

LOL!

Keymaster

I recently started reading a book the other day, called Man 2.0, written by John Romaniello and Adam Bornstein, with a foreword by Arnold Schwarzenegger, who appointed them as co-leads of his recently created Fitness Advisory Board (apparently after his Governership, Arnold has returned to the fitness industry as well as Hollywood). I discovered the book by reading Tim Ferriss’ blog post about how the authors got a $1 million advance from their publisher on this book, which is unprecedented for a non-celebrity book advance. So far I’m enjoying it, and from what I can tell at this point the book puts a lot of emphasis on hormone development and treating imbalances.

Quote:
    Far too many people focus on upping weight at the sacrifice of good form, it’s inherent.

This is something that I’ve also found to be really important. A lot of exercises I do below my PR because I emphasize perfect form and cadence over sheer weight. Squats are really dangerous with a lot of weight, I find.

Participant

Well that DL session with the octagon plates was abysmal. I’ve since improved drastically in my form, the Boring But Big 5/3/1 has helped as well as some pointers from said jocks and looking in the mirror. I’m able to pull up 315 for 5 reps w.o slipping in form, holding the bar nice and close not rounding my back actually I’m getting scabs on my shins at times.

Squat is king, This afternoon I worked up to 305×3 (Deep) then did BBB for 195 5×10 then did ye’ old 2;30 minute plank 2 90sec side planks, some side bends with 70lb DBs and leg curls

Anyways my Bench technique does need work that youtube vidya Vincent post lead to some others which were also pretty helpful. Have bench tmrw so will try out fresh ideas (with spotter).

My #s aren’t huge but I’m making decent “mirror” progress and I’m much better off than when I was trying to go from 0 workout to 250lb squat at the expense of my knees >< (much better now thanks to something called PT I could not get after inquiring at every major hospital in the DU

Brendan what’s a cutie like you not getting hitched yet xD

Quote:
    I recently started reading a book the other day, called Man 2.0, written by John Romaniello and Adam Bornstein

I subscribe to Tim Ferris’s blog myself, so I got the update on this. I’m keen to take a look at Engineering the Alpha, though I will say that but for the occasional ‘breakthrough’ in endocrinology (hormonal/glandular science) most if not all systems are essentially reworks of the pioneering work Dan Duchaine was doing in bodybuilding back in the 80’s and 90’s. His first self published ‘Underground Steroid Handbook’ (1981) became folklore, and was said to have been a reference for the Olympic doping authority, amongst many others. The book that really changed the game though was his ‘Underground Body Opus’ (1996), a bodybuilding targeted diet and exercise program that cycled calories and carbohydrates over a 7 day cycle. I experimented with this myself in ’96-’97, but found the ketosis to be too disorientating, not to mention an absolute bitch to maintain. I was using ‘ketostix’ every time I took a piss to check if I was deep enough into ketosis, which ultimately half the time was impossible given that it’s such a fagile state to begin with. What I and most others soon discovered was that although we were getting into great shape, we were sacrificing large amounts of muscle in the process. Lyle McDonald who had worked with Dan would later go on to write The Ultimate Diet 2.0, which essentailly fixes the issues that became apparent in Dan’s ketogenic approach. The Ultimate Diet is little known outside of serious bodybuilding, but it is this book that most others have extrapolated from, and all the writings that preceded it. Tim Ferris’s own ‘4 Hour Body’ is essentially a collection of data from the likes of Colgan, Duchaine, McDonald, Darden, and many others, reformatted and marketed to a wider audience. Anabolic ‘rebounding’ was first experimented with back in the 1950’s by bodybuilders who discovered that if they restricted calories for a period of time, worked their arses off in the gym (which at the time meant extraordinarily high volume workouts), and then feasted on as much food as they could for a day, hey presto!, their muscles pumped up from all the glycogen. What science would later discover was that during calorie restriction, the body balances itself hormonally, improving growth hormone output etc., and thus providing an environment for growth of lean tissue. I would still recommend Michael Colgan’s ‘Optimum Sports Nutrtion’, which although now 20 years old, remains an easy to digest in depth look at what’s possible for anyone resolved to achieve peak physical condition naturally.

Participant

…or just do lotsa hammer curls

Participant
    Quote:
    This is something that I’ve also found to be really important. A lot of exercises I do below my PR because I emphasize perfect form and cadence over sheer weight. Squats are really dangerous with a lot of weight, I find.

Good form is obviously very important, but there’s no need to be too paranoid about injuries imo (however paranoid is probably better than not worried at all). I think deadlifts are by far more dangerous than squats though because of the lumbar extension.

There’s a lot of form nazi’s out there who’ve read a thing or two about deadlifts and go all “OH MY GOD HIS BACK IS NOT FLAT!!” when they see even the slightest lumbar flexion. While good form is essential, I think “perfect form” on every single rep is pretty much a stupid rule to limit yourself to unless you are just complacent and/or extremely worried about safety. In order to lift more weight, eventually your back will not stay perfectly extended. On top of that your form has to be completely afwul to really risk hurting yourself (YouTube has some nice examples of this).

I definitely agree that almost everybody should get their deadlift/squat/bench/… technique looked at (and definitely not by a Chinese PT), but I also think there should be enough room to allow “some” lumbar flexion (when talking about DL’s) in order to allow yourself to get stronger more efficiently.

I’ll finish off with a quote from Rippetoe about the subject:

Quote:
    When a weight is heavy enough to constitute a max load, like a 5RM, something about your form will break down to cause the limit. Right? If nothing was wrong, you could do more weight, and it wouldn’t be a limit set. In this case, the weight is heavy enough that your back is rounding under the load, but you’re trying to hold it, doing the first 3 reps pretty well, and it’s coming off the floor correctly, so I’d say that this was a good ~5RM set. If we insist of perfection of technique, we preclude the use of limit weights and thus limit out ability to get strong.

Participant

You guys are thinking too hard just listen to this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLD7JJdHpw4

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 243 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.