Eggs & Cholesterol

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEggs & Cholesterol

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 243 total)
  • Author

My training brain is on high alert today, I’ve had no carbs since Sunday and following my workout tonight I get to chew my way through 4000+ calories. Ice cream and cookies are within reach.

Quote:
    …or just do lotsa hammer curls

Ha Ha! Blinded by your science am I. I really like your half bicep also. How do I obtain one, if not two of these?

Quote:
    I’ll finish off with a quote from Rippetoe about the subject:

That’s a nice quote Vincent. It’s a fine line though, most injuries will happen because there’s poor feedback neurologically, which in simpler terms means there no ‘warning’ signals that your body is moving into a dangerous plane of movement. Deadlifts definitely require an acute feedback and core strength if you’re ever going to reach your max potential, lifting truly heavy you’ll always be right at the point of breakdown. I often ditch my final set within seconds of attempting it once my lumbar screams a certain way. Over the years I’ve learnt to distinguish it, and I know when I can push through, and when I should admit defeat for the day.

Squats vs Deadlifts for danger money… I’d have to say Squats can turn the nastiest at heavy loads, I’ve seen some pretty awful things happen over the years. I had a close call myself years ago going for a max, which went to plan but for one of the two spotters taking too much of the weight and sending the imbalance through my spine. I got out from the bar in time, but I’ve seen guys in the same situation not be so lucky.

Quote:
    You guys are thinking too hard just listen to this guy:

I wish my VPN would work from the office, I’ll look in on this later.

Participant

Next time I’ll bring a stanley knife, a rag and a bottle of vodka and you can have your half (AKA Popeye) bicep….that thing is a badge of honour….

Participant

This video is more relevant to the discussion than the brofessor one

Snap city? MUSCLEVILLE MOTHEFUCKA

Participant

on related matters:

favorite chicken breast recipes?

Participant

250gr of chicken breast with another 250gr of chicken breast

Participant

The internationally-reknowned Bro Science Institute of Sports Nutrition recommends eating the chicken live…and naturally, enquiring of the vendor “Bro, does that bird even lift?”.

Quote:
    favorite chicken breast recipes?

My favourite Chicken recipe right now is H7N9 Free Chicken.

Participant

Elias, so you think you can bench?

Best free benchpress advice out there, but don’t watch his DL vids because he sucks at DL.

Participant

Hey sorry to dig up an old thread but I thought it may be a better idea than starting a new one on themes already discussed on here.

How much is a membership to a decent gym in Chengdu? Any recommendations on where to train? Squat rack and barbells, etc are a must. I believe I heard mention of QSL Gym – is it a nice place to train? Are supplements (Creatine, Whey Protein, Fish Oil) fairly easy to come by in Chengdu? I’ve heard of people ordering off Taobao.

Currently in bulk mode here at home in Canada. Always been a little dude (competed regularly at 145 and 155 plbs for the longest time in bjj). Trying to put on some mass/strength. It’s been really fun so far. I want to bulk up to about 180 plbs but I realize it’s going to be a sllooooowww process, especially because I’m concerned about fat gain. Trying to put on about 2-3 plbs a month.

Really hoping I can keep up my strength training when I come to China. I hear chicken breasts and eggs are nice and cheap so that’s a real plus 🙂

Edit: typo

Hey sorry to dig up an old thread but…

It’s the thread that keeps calling ‘I’ll be back’. Unofficially known as ‘Chengdu Broscience Real Talk’. 😀

There are a bunch of gyms in Chengdu, but not too many that will be ideal if you want to ‘bulk’, unless you like sissy size dumbbells. Myself and a few others train out of MegaFit Chunxi Rd, then there’s QSL in the South which Charlie recommends. Vincent (in this thread) trains out of a decent gym (above Carrefour) in Tongzilin, which google maps has as ‘Aoruite Fitness’, though I’m not sure that’s the current name.

Supplements I can help you out with, I have a couple of trade accounts that cover most brands/bases. I’m also formulating tailored supps like ‘pre-workout formula’, and can essentially put almost anything together. PM me once you land.
    I’ve been doing a little consulting lately again, and I’d be happy to help you get your weight up while keeping lean. If you chose to train at my gym, perhaps we could figure a trade off for training.

Food is easy once you know where to go for what. I’m covering all the bases without too much trouble. You mention Taobao, which once you figure trusted sellers is a huge resource for everything imaginable. I’ve picked up everything from sugar free flapjacks & coconut oil, to a muscle stretcher & TRX. All for far lower cost than you’d ever pay back home. Pollution aside it’s a good environment for training here.

Keymaster

Myself and a few others train out of MegaFit Chunxi Rd, then there’s QSL in the South which Charlie recommends. Vincent (in this thread) trains out of a decent gym (above Carrefour) in Tongzilin, which google maps has as ‘Aoruite Fitness’, though I’m not sure that’s the current name.

Yesterday I spoke to a friend who just started a new job which offered him a 50% discount on a gym membership inside the Shangrila. He tells me the gym there is incredible – legit steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, pool, fully stocked gym, etc. Get this, though: including his 50% discount, gym membership costs 10,000 yuan a year! I don’t doubt that it’s the best gym in Chengdu by a long shot, though.

He tells me the gym there is incredible – legit steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, pool, fully stocked gym, etc.

It is actually a really nice gym, definitely the best kept place I’ve seen/been to in Chengdu. It’s not a gym I’d want to train seriously in though, there’s less than zero atmosphere in there. The pool etc. are awesome though, as they should be for 10k RMB after discount. LOL!

Vincent (in this thread) trains out of a decent gym (above Carrefour) in Tongzilin, which google maps has as ‘Aoruite Fitness’, though I’m not sure that’s the current name.

Vincent’s just told me the name of the gym is ‘Orient’. Big gym with a fair amount of weight and equipment.

Participant

10k, damn that’s really steep! Sounds like it should be no problem to find a decent place to train though.

I’ve been trying to focus mostly on heavy compound lifts for strength gains, bench/DL/squat but I’ve also been mixing in some hypertrophy training and isolation exercises for my bulk to put on some size.

Is it even possible to bulk without fat gain though? Or is that something you just have to accept, and then have to cut after..? Been bulking for ~ 2 months now and I already feel as though I’m less lean than I was, but I’m definitely getting stronger. I want to be able to lift heavy things, but I’m also concerned about aesthetics. So I often find myself wavering and questioning whether I should really be eating that much (3000 + calories seems insane to me) Guess it just takes patience and a lot of self-experimentation

Saw this amazing video and knew that it had to be posted in this thread.

edit: goddamnit. totally posted the wrong video

Participant

Ha Ha I love this ridiculous thread. Anyway, speaking of working out (in a kinda indirect unrelated way), recently a student said to me “you look like Hugh Jackman”. I’m thinking “awesome, those deadlifts and hammer curls are really paying off”. I ask her “You like the X-men and Wolverine films?”. She’s like “Huh? I’ve never seen any of them. I mean the film where he sings”. Goddamn, she’s talking Les Miserables! Where Hugh Jackedman is scrawny and emaciated! Ego plummets…..

That girl clearly has no idea what she’s talking about. You don’t even have a beard.

Participant

…and i don’t sing.

Keymaster

recently a student said to me “you look like Hugh Jackman”. I’m thinking “awesome, those deadlifts and hammer curls are really paying off”. I ask her “You like the X-men and Wolverine films?”. She’s like “Huh? I’ve never seen any of them. I mean the film where he sings”. Goddamn, she’s talking Les Miserables! Where Hugh Jackedman is scrawny and emaciated! Ego plummets…..

Hahahaha! That is hilarious. You are in good shape though, I could see the Wolverine comparison.

EGGS & CHOLESTEROL, EGGS & CHOLESTEROL!!! It’s the thread that like Wolverine won’t die, or at least not for a really long time.

And Ray, although I’ll say ‘props’ to Jackman having seen the reddit pics recently, he is one chicken legged mofo!!

All we need now is for Elias to come back and start shit talking squats and chicken breasts.

Participant

This thread, goddamn this thread. Sometimes useful, often hilarious, more often just bro-science retarded. Like an itch i just can’t stop scratching. May it reach 300 posts….

@Charlie
    : I’ll take scrawny ass chicken-leg Jackman anyday. Shit, recently i got likened to Nic Cage. Ego = annihilated….New thread: “people say i look like….(insert name)….

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 243 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.