English Schools for Black Teachers

HomeForumsClassifiedsJobs & Apartment RentalsEnglish Schools for Black Teachers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I train and certify English language teachers in the United States so they can teach overseas. I have several excellent African American teachers who would like to teach English in Chengdu but I’ve realized that not all schools hire black teachers. Does anyone have the names and contact info for English schools that hire black teachers?

Also, one of the teachers would like to bring her 12 year old daughter with her to Chengdu but all the private schools cost way too much for a teacher making 8,000-10,000 RMB per month. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Annette Thompson
    College Station, Texas
    [email protected]

Keymaster

Hey Annette,

My observation has been that most of the qualified and well established schools in major cities in China will hire qualified African Americans. Once you get into smaller cities outside of Chengdu or schools that are less serious about teaching English and more serious about selling the “white image” it becomes more difficult. I’m not a teacher but I’ve been here a while and this is my understanding.

I have a friend enrolling his kid at a private school in Chengdu and the cost is something like 2,000 rmb per month (20k+ annually). Seems doable on a salary of 10k+ if private school is a priority.

Good luck-

Participant

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the info on your friend enrolling his child at a private school in Chengdu that costs 2,000 RMB per month. That’s doable for a teacher. Which school is it please?

Also, I would have thought that the larger English schools would hire black teachers but I’ve been told that Meten and English First (EF) don’t hire black teachers and that New Oriental doesn’t hire foreigners. Has anyone heard differently?

Annette

I have a feeling Ray will have some information on this.

Participant

Huh?

Participant

Hi Annette,

I’m a black Brit, and I’m moving to Chengdu to start my first teaching job in a couple of weeks. I’ve no experience of (knock knock, my visa just arrived, there’s timing for you) colour being a issue in this way but I got my job through the company I gained my TEFL qualification with. When I’m there, if I hear anything I’ll keep you informed.

Participant

Hi Robert,

How exciting that you’re about to move to Chengdu! My black son (adopted from Ethiopia) and his wife recently returned from teaching English in Japan for several years and they had quite an adventure. May I ask what company you’ll be working at? I’d love to keep in touch and hear about your impressions of the city and how you deal with the culture shock. I’m also planning on visiting Chengdu the last week in October and hope I can meet you and other teachers in person. Feel free to conract me here or privately at [email protected] or WeChat: annettethompson.

Annette in Texas

Participant

Hi Annette,

This is an issue that comes up time and again amongst my own circle of friends and coworkers.  I can tell you, based on my best friend’s experience (she’s black, I’m white) and my own observations, that it certainly isn’t easy for non-white teachers in Chengdu, but it does seem to be changing somewhat.  Still, I see ads on various expat websites every once in awhile that overtly advertise for “white only” teachers, which is depressing, to say the least.

It just so happens, I’m currently recruiting ESL teachers for the ’13-’14 academic year and we still have two openings.  I’d be more than happy to review any CVs of qualified teachers you could send my way at: dianeDOTflickATsucduteduDOTorg.  We have black teachers, white teachers, Asian teachers (both local and foreign), male teachers, female teachers, younger, older, you name it, we have pretty much every persuasion imaginable.  I’m proud to say we’re the most diverse group of teachers I’ve ever encountered in my eight years here!  You can check our recruiting ad here:  link

Best Wishes,

Diane Flick

Director of the International Foundation Programme
    Collaborative Education between Staffordshire University and Chengdu University of Technology

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Jobs & Apartment Rentals’ is closed to new topics and replies.