Ergonomic desk chair

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionErgonomic desk chair

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Since I spend a lot of hours behind my desk for both work and entertainment, I’m looking for an ergonomic chair because the crap that came with my apartment is giving me a lot of lower back pain.

After doing some research it appears that stuff is really expensive. Herman Miller chairs retail at about $800-$1600 and they seem even more expensive on taobao.

Does anybody know any possible cheap alternatives (this is China) that are offered somewhere in Chengdu? Or will fake ones lack the ergonomic quality of the chair? Also Ikea doesn’t really sound ergonomic to me.

FWIW I don’t see myself sitting on a gym ball for 10 hours. That shit is just too dangerous 🙂

Hey Vincent, I can chime in here…

I was just coincidentally at IKEA yesterday myself, and to my surprise they do have a model of chair that’s actually very comfortable for 1299 RMB. It has a good looking design, solid base, and nicely positioned (though non-adjustable) arm rests. It has height and tilt adjustment, a breathable mesh back, and a head rest. http://www.ikea.com/cn/en/catalog/products/50137208/

Incidentally, I’ve gone the swiss ball ‘active sitting’ route, but that requires so much constant feedback, it’s no good for anything past an hour or two. I’ve had a ‘kneeling’ chair before also, which just aggravated my knees, though it’s easier to hold posture than on an inflatable ball!!

Participant

Hahah, thanks for sharing. I’ve always wondered what those two actually felt like.

I’ve seen the Ikea Markus around on some websites as a cheap but decent office chair indeed. Might be my plan B.

I had some acupuncture done today for the lower back problems, going back on sunday. Weird stuff.

Participant

Even if the IKEA doesn’t specifically say ergonomic, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was designed with these principles. Remember, all their furniture is designed in Sweden, and if anyone’s designing ergonomic chairs, my money would be on the Swedes!

I have a Poag (i know, stupid chair) chair in my living room and even though it leans back, i’ve never had any lower backb pain.

Oh yeah, try the “backward facing dog” yoga position; that cured my back pain!

Participant

It might just be the way that I’m using chairs though. Most of the time I just catch myself sitting on the tip with my back curved and my shoulders down.

Would be kind of stupid to spend hundreds of dollars on a chair if I won’t be using it appropriately.

I used to do a lot of research on ergonomic desk chairs since I used to grind online poker for hours at a time. I finally got myself a Herman Miller Aeron used for pretty cheap (in the US) and it was ok. The back pain that I had before that went away, but still it didn’t feel extremely comfortable.

A lot of other like-minded people have chosen the Markus as a really good bang for the buck ergo chair. Lumbar support, mesh back, headrest are all great features. Only thing that I see being a problem are the armrests being non adjustable and hard. I’ve sat in it before but not for extended periods of time, but it definitely looks like a good plan A type chair if you’re on a sub $800 budget.

Quote:
    It might just be the way that I’m using chairs though. Most of the time I just catch myself sitting on the tip with my back curved and my shoulders down

The Aeron has a setting for this position. I do this often also.

@ Tiger: Do you mean ‘Poang’? Those things are comfy though!! ‘Backward Facing Dog’… I’m a pilates devotee myself, even owned a reformer before now. I have my much missed spine barrel arriving next month. A crack a day keeps the back ache away… Almost.

@ Vincent: Go try the chair out, I was really surprised by how comfy and sturdy it felt. As Tiger says, those Swedes know ergonomics, and of course it’s designed to a European ‘norm’.

Acupuncture: I’d love to tag along on Sunday and check that out if it’s a decent (and sterile) practice.

Participant

@Brendan & Chris: check pm

Participant

Yeah, Poang it is. Love that chair. Got it in the garden now, but come winter that’s my living room lazy boy. God bless those crazy swedes, they sure know a thing or two about design….

Participant

If I was buying one I’d go for the Markus too.

I pretty much live with constant low back pain. Let me know how the acupuncture goes as I might have to give it a try.

Keymaster

I’d also be interested in hearing a first hand report of acupuncture. Never tried that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.