Ethnic Minority Restaurants

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEthnic Minority Restaurants

• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author

I am a big “foodie”, so I enjoy trying anything new.

As much as I love traditional Sichuan cuisine, I would like to sample restaurants serving food from different parts of China or food from one of China’s ethnic groups.

Anyone have suggestions of places they have tried?

I am familiar with Tibetan and Xinjiang establishments…anything else in Chengdu?

Throw ideas my way : )

Participant

There are Lanzhou pulled noodles on every block, right? Also dozens and dozens of Cantonese restaurants, many restaurants serving Dong Bei (northeast) food, Nanjing style soup dumplings, several restaurants serving Yunnan rice noodles and one very good high end Yunnan style restaurant (Rui Tai Feng) up in the northeast section of town, and at least one Yi-minority restaurant. You used to be able to get Wuhan hot dry noodles over on zong fu rd by the PSB but they had closed last I looked.

I have yet to try, but we have: a few Guizhou style places, Hunan restaurants, at least one restaurant serving Hangzhou cuisine, at least one Shanghainese…and this Macao style hot pot that I see opening up everywhere, a trend I am hoping will die out soon. I am sure I am just scratching the surface.

Participant

@SS I know of the dong bei one near the minorities university. Are there any more that you can recommend? Is it possible for you to post the names and addresses of the yunnan and Yi minority places please?

I was searching for a dai minority restaurant for ages. I finally found one in the west of the city but it closed after a few months. Anybody know the location of other dai restaurants?

Keymaster

Dai minority restaurants are really rare in Chengdu. Hopefully someone has some info on that because I don’t remember ever seeing those in Chengdu.

Tibetan restaurants are common in the Tibetan area. Look around Wuhou Temple and you’ll see a bunch.

Participant

want filipino and chiuchow food pl0x.

They got the “ethnic minority noodles” place along the street near Hua Xi Er Tong Yi Yuan… explore around there…

Looking for a some Vietnamese food. Craving pho.

Quote:

Me too. I found one while ago on baidu. Haven’t been there yet thou. Wanna go check it out?

Quote:

Me too. I found one while ago on baidu. Haven’t been there yet thou. Wanna go check it out?

Participant

With the appearance of fish sauce at Carrefour you can probably just make pho… it doesn’t seem to be that hard, just need the sauce, lime juice (Carrefour), chicken stock, vermicelli, star anise, cloves, coriander, chili etc.. only thing hard to get here would be the mint. :-/

Are there any just straight up Yunnan restaurants that don’t only specialize in 米线? Really missing lao nai yangyu.

Participant

With the appearance of fish sauce at Carrefour you can probably just make pho… it doesn’t seem to be that hard, just need the sauce, lime juice (Carrefour), chicken stock, vermicelli, star anise, cloves, coriander, chili etc.. only thing hard to get here would be the mint. :-/

Are there any just straight up Yunnan restaurants that don’t only specialize in 米线? Really missing lao nai yangyu.

Participant
    Quote:

There was a thread on gochengdoo last week talkin bout a Vietnamese spot in Wanda Plaza. The general consensus was that it was just aight, but they do use fresh herbs and have spring rolls and such. Most people were mentioning the drip coffee with sweetened condensed milk. I’d be down to check it out some time, I love me some pho.

Participant
    Quote:

There was a thread on gochengdoo last week talkin bout a Vietnamese spot in Wanda Plaza. The general consensus was that it was just aight, but they do use fresh herbs and have spring rolls and such. Most people were mentioning the drip coffee with sweetened condensed milk. I’d be down to check it out some time, I love me some pho.

Quote:
    There was a thread on gochengdoo last week talkin bout a Vietnamese spot in Wanda Plaza.

I’m pretty certain I’ve checked this place out a few months ago on a groupon deal. It was decent, but not so much so that I’d go out of my way to head back there again. The dishes were all clean and fresh though, and two of us ate a healthy amount for around 80 RMB.

Quote:
    There was a thread on gochengdoo last week talkin bout a Vietnamese spot in Wanda Plaza.

I’m pretty certain I’ve checked this place out a few months ago on a groupon deal. It was decent, but not so much so that I’d go out of my way to head back there again. The dishes were all clean and fresh though, and two of us ate a healthy amount for around 80 RMB.

Quote:

Yup, the one next to panda mall. The real deal in du.

Quote:

Yup, the one next to panda mall. The real deal in du.

Participant

@skinny panda Awesome! Which side of panda mall is it located by?

Participant

@skinny panda Awesome! Which side of panda mall is it located by?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.