Ethnic Minority Restaurants

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEthnic Minority Restaurants

• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Speaking of minority foods, I really want to find *the best* Da Pan Ji or Da Pan Yang evar.

I used to love this lil place out in Guanghan which had absolutely great Da Pan Ji/Yang, but I haven’t found its equivalent in Chengdu city. Anyone? Note: Must be the traditional type where they drop off some freshly cooked noodles soon as you’ve eaten most the meat and mix it into the rest of the shit

Participant

Speaking of minority foods, I really want to find *the best* Da Pan Ji or Da Pan Yang evar.

I used to love this lil place out in Guanghan which had absolutely great Da Pan Ji/Yang, but I haven’t found its equivalent in Chengdu city. Anyone? Note: Must be the traditional type where they drop off some freshly cooked noodles soon as you’ve eaten most the meat and mix it into the rest of the shit

Quote:
    you can probably just make pho… it doesn’t seem to be that hard, just need the sauce, lime juice (Carrefour), chicken stock, vermicelli, star anise, cloves, coriander, chili etc.. only thing hard to get here would be the mint. :-/

D: real pho uses beef stock boiled from ox tail or something, but also I can’t cook.

Quote:
    Most people were mentioning the drip coffee with sweetened condensed milk.

Quote:
    Me too. I found one while ago on baidu. Haven’t been there yet thou. Wanna go check it out?

yes please. let’s do it.

Quote:
    you can probably just make pho… it doesn’t seem to be that hard, just need the sauce, lime juice (Carrefour), chicken stock, vermicelli, star anise, cloves, coriander, chili etc.. only thing hard to get here would be the mint. :-/

D: real pho uses beef stock boiled from ox tail or something, but also I can’t cook.

Quote:
    Most people were mentioning the drip coffee with sweetened condensed milk.

Quote:
    Me too. I found one while ago on baidu. Haven’t been there yet thou. Wanna go check it out?

yes please. let’s do it.

Participant

@Chris Further inspection reveals that you are in fact correct and a real beef pho requires beef knuckles and ox tails. Chicken pho however, apparently needs a chicken stock base and you can go from there. Will try it this weekend and report back on my findings.

@Rick Not sure how good it is compared to other places but the Xinjiang restaurant next to the Pug does a really nice, enormous da pan ji. They bring these huge flat noodles out towards the end.. pretty tasty stuff.

Participant

@Chris Further inspection reveals that you are in fact correct and a real beef pho requires beef knuckles and ox tails. Chicken pho however, apparently needs a chicken stock base and you can go from there. Will try it this weekend and report back on my findings.

@Rick Not sure how good it is compared to other places but the Xinjiang restaurant next to the Pug does a really nice, enormous da pan ji. They bring these huge flat noodles out towards the end.. pretty tasty stuff.

Participant

@Danielle

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I will most definitely check it out. “huge flat noodles” sound about right, and as long as they don’t drop it off when they drop the DaPan off and let it sit / noodles get cold and globbed together I’m sure it’ll be a worthwhile experience 😉 Question, do you get a very flavourful spice / cumin spice flavour?

Participant

@Danielle

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I will most definitely check it out. “huge flat noodles” sound about right, and as long as they don’t drop it off when they drop the DaPan off and let it sit / noodles get cold and globbed together I’m sure it’ll be a worthwhile experience 😉 Question, do you get a very flavourful spice / cumin spice flavour?

Participant

@Rick It was quite flavourful indeed. I’ve only had one other da pan ji before so I’m not the best critic but I thought it was great. Tons of nice soft potato chunks, capsicum, etc. Nary a huajiao in sight.

Participant

@Rick It was quite flavourful indeed. I’ve only had one other da pan ji before so I’m not the best critic but I thought it was great. Tons of nice soft potato chunks, capsicum, etc. Nary a huajiao in sight.

Participant

I’m regretting committing to a dinner already tonight or I’d be soaking up that xinjiang goodness, your description makes me hungry 😀

Participant

I’m regretting committing to a dinner already tonight or I’d be soaking up that xinjiang goodness, your description makes me hungry 😀

Participant

@Chris ya… i gave up on my quest for pho. i went back to canada and hk for those.

Honestly though, I want some good stinky tofu. D: nothing compares to hk ones so far…

Participant

@Chris ya… i gave up on my quest for pho. i went back to canada and hk for those.

Honestly though, I want some good stinky tofu. D: nothing compares to hk ones so far…

Participant

Rui Tai Feng, the Yunnan restaurant, is 瑞泰丰云南菜

地址:成华区建设北路三段6号龙湖天街三千集购物中心3楼

and has a huge menu, you can eat insects and worms, mushrooms, ham, etc, etc.

The Yi restaurant is called Yi Jia Fengqing Cai and is on the second level of the Roman Holiday Plaza at Gaoshengqiao. Walk straight in past the obelisk.

It’s actually easy to find Chaozhou (chiuchow) dishes in Chengdu; it’s such a trendy cuisine in Hong Kong and Guangzhou that Chaozhou dishes often show up on the menus of our zillion Cantonese restaurants.

Dai restaurants, I never tried any but dianping lists three, including this one in the big complex next to the south Carrefour.

Dianping is an OK resource but there are tons and tons of restaurants that are not listed…I was on the 19 bus yesterday and noticed a busy little place selling guizhou noodles. Small shops like this often never get a listing.

Participant

Rui Tai Feng, the Yunnan restaurant, is 瑞泰丰云南菜

地址:成华区建设北路三段6号龙湖天街三千集购物中心3楼

and has a huge menu, you can eat insects and worms, mushrooms, ham, etc, etc.

The Yi restaurant is called Yi Jia Fengqing Cai and is on the second level of the Roman Holiday Plaza at Gaoshengqiao. Walk straight in past the obelisk.

It’s actually easy to find Chaozhou (chiuchow) dishes in Chengdu; it’s such a trendy cuisine in Hong Kong and Guangzhou that Chaozhou dishes often show up on the menus of our zillion Cantonese restaurants.

Dai restaurants, I never tried any but dianping lists three, including this one in the big complex next to the south Carrefour.

Dianping is an OK resource but there are tons and tons of restaurants that are not listed…I was on the 19 bus yesterday and noticed a busy little place selling guizhou noodles. Small shops like this often never get a listing.

Participant

Eat insects, maybe one day I’m in the right mood I’ll give it a try 🙂

Participant

Eat insects, maybe one day I’m in the right mood I’ll give it a try 🙂

Participant

Insects. They’re not as bad as you’d think. They’re kinda cardboard-ish for the most part, since the guts and such is ‘dried/fried’ out of them, it’s kinda like if you can imagine chewing on a husk with some salt or whatever on them.

I ate a few different kinds 9 days ago out in Longchuan. 4″? black scorpions — 2 of ’em actually, grasshoppers, something that looked like roaches, larvae of some kind, wasn’t so bad.

Participant

Insects. They’re not as bad as you’d think. They’re kinda cardboard-ish for the most part, since the guts and such is ‘dried/fried’ out of them, it’s kinda like if you can imagine chewing on a husk with some salt or whatever on them.

I ate a few different kinds 9 days ago out in Longchuan. 4″? black scorpions — 2 of ’em actually, grasshoppers, something that looked like roaches, larvae of some kind, wasn’t so bad.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.