Event: Tian Qiao Alleycat, Thursday March 28th

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEvent: Tian Qiao Alleycat, Thursday March 28th

• This topic has 25 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoIan.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

b127aa3agw1e2yt691nzgj.jpg

Craving another Allecat? Well you’re about to get satiated with one Thursday evening. Natooke成都 is hosting the Tiao Qiao Alleycat, an alleycat unlike any you’ve participated in before. There is no restriction in type of bike: road, mountain, foldable, recumbent, geared, fixie, etc.

ALL WELCOME TO JOIN THE FUN FUN FUN!!!

When: Thursday March 28th. Registration begins at 7pm and we’ll set out at 8pm

Where: Start location is just north of the Technology museum (Tianfu Square)

Don’t forget your helmet!

Damnit I’ve been waiting for this. I just had to split open my shin before this.

Participant

Shin so bad you can’t ride? Suck it up! There’s still 5 days to heal up.

Well I’ve got stitches in there. I shouldn’t even be walking to prevent tearing them. I probably have another week before I can get them out. fail

Keymaster

Any chance you guys can get some footage of this with a GoPro? I would love to join, an alleycat at night might be a lot more fun with less traffic to contend with.

Participant

charlie: i cant join this alleycat, but if you want i can lend you my gopro2

Keymaster
    Quote:
    charlie: i cant join this alleycat, but if you want i can lend you my gopro2

Thanks but unfortunately I can’t attend, I’m outside of China at the moment. Adrien and Larry have GoPros, I hope they get some footage for the Natooke weibo account.

Participant

I’m in with my goPro 3 😉

What time you start to the shop ?

I finis the work at 18 to the hight Tech Zone and go directly to the shop

Need to change the bike 😉

I think the bike polo is not good for the race ahaha

Just hope I’m total ready for this race , because yesterday totaly sick and last saturday in the soccer little hurt in my knee …

Participant
    Quote:
    What time you start to the shop ?

Adrien, we’ll be leaving the shop around 18:30. If you can’t get to the shop by then tomorrow afternoon perhaps come by tonight and switch bikes. Or we can ghost ride your bike to the start and take care of your new bike during the event.

Just one more day!!!

Participant

Cool night Yesterday .

I try to edit the movie with me go pro this week end end because go in holiday this monday.

c0483d71gw1e36ck8s50pj.jpg

Participant

Cool night Yesterday .

I try to edit the movie with me go pro this week end end because go in holiday this monday.

c0483d71gw1e36ck8s50pj.jpg

Participant
    Participant

Okay fixed gear is cool, but driving against on coming traffic without a helmet….

Participant

I agree .. me i use helmet like 90% time …more traffic or not

but is not easy to understand all , helmet is obligatory with this traffic

Participant

I’d say there were a little less than half of the participants who wore helmets. Not bad for China. Bikes with brakes however, not so much.

Participant

I ride to and from work daily. I wear a helmet nearly all the time. I regularly ride into oncoming traffic… Sometimes I volunteer, sometimes the traffic suddenly switches to my lane.

In either case, I think it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and know when to slow down. I have been in a couple of bike wrecks in the States. All of them were at fairly high speed because our bike lanes are designed, as are our traffic laws, to allow for people to move around at high speed with limited interruptions.

Here I have a break on my bike and I just ride much more cautiously. I have headphones sometimes in the states. Here that seems like a suicide attempt.

I’ve come very close to crashing here, but almost always at speeds much much slower than in the US. Probably the same in the west anywhere.

Participant

no helmet Be safe guys

Participant

We’ve been encouraging helmet and brake use on fixed gears since well before the fixed gear trend started here.

The problem is that preaching safety to cyclists is like telling a habitual smoker that regular tobacco use causes lung cancer. Best method of having an impact on someone’s safety considerations is by putting to practice what you recommend.

One of our first bikes we built in fact had front and rear brakes, something which although common in the West kicked off a huge debate from folks around here that often have misperceptions about cycling.

Lately as stories like the one you mention are posted up on Weibo we’ve gotten a lot of attention as having done things right from the get go. Lately we’ve been sought out by a grip of people drawn to the benefits of a brake with little consideration for its effect on “coolness”.

It’s changing, slowly, but for sure. We organize our races with safety first in mind and never ever recommend riding against traffic law or in a manner that puts the rider at risk. A ride like this is to encourage people to get out and explore the streets, meet people and exercise.

Sometimes the limits gets pushed however and that’s when you get super exciting videos to watch such as this. Hopefully it’ll inspire you to go out and (safely) take over the streets yourself.

Participant

Actually, there is strong debate in the cycling community about the effectiveness of helmets. Two main points come up repeatedly:

1.Helmets give riders inflated confidence and they do things they wouldnt normally do.

2.Helmets decrease bike useage (this is pretty much confirmed globally). Opponents of compulsory helmets laws cite this as one reason for reduce accidents/head injuries. Simply, less people ride when helmets are mandatory.

I’m not taking a position here. I dont use one here, simply cos i hate wearing them. When i did bike messenger work in college i had to wear one (take it off, instant dismissal from the job)and i got used to it. A doctor dealing with head trauma in the ER probably has his/her own views…

Participant

I agree it would be good to see more people wearing helmets. In 13 years of riding I have broken two helmets and had three concussions. Admittedly those were all on a mountain bike but if you consider how much worse crashes tend to be on the road then it seems pretty reckless not to wear one. Put your brain bucket on kids!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.