Explore the Countryside: Sunday Group Ride

HomeForumsIn ChengduExplore the Countryside: Sunday Group Ride

• This topic has 39 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoPeggy.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Beginning this month Natooke成都 will be organizing group bicycle rides through the countryside and surrounding areas of Chengdu on the first Sunday of each month.  Our goal is to welcome riders of all levels and share some of the nicer riding routes we have found that are easily accessible from city center.

This month, Sunday April 6th, we will be heading southeast from the city center through the eastern part of Shuangliu county for a 45km loop starting and finishing at Natooke成都.  We will meander through country roads heading to Xinxing Zhen (新兴镇) where we will stop for a bite to eat before heading back to the shop around 2pm.

Anyone interested in participating should arrive at Natooke成都 by 9:30am and we will set out by 10am.  The event is free and should take 3.5-4 hours.  We recommend each person or group has an inner tune repair kit/pump among them in the event of a puncture.

Natooke成都: Xiaotian East Street 3-26; 小天东街3号附26号

Rental bicycles are available!!

Participant

good line, what`s the average speed?

Participant

I’ll definitely be up for this. Noticing a pattern in these pictures – Will we require a helmet?

Participant

I’ll definitely be up for this. Noticing a pattern in these pictures – Will we require a helmet?

Helmets, gloves, etc. are not required but highly recommended.  Safety first!

Again, we’ve published the route and will be riding along, however each rider is individually responsible.  We’ll try to help as much as possible but we will do as little hand-holding as possible.

The group will move at a comfortable speed.  Nothing that the novice cyclist can’t handle.  Be sure to eat and hydrate properly.  Bring some pocket cash for food or drink along the way.

And if you can’t continue or choose not to go on with the ride you’re welcome to split off, just don’t expect us to ride you back.  So be familiar with the route, where we’ve ridden and if you don’t have a photographic memory a map is quite handy.

How’re the hills on this route?

Is that Jacob in the middle of rape?

Participant

No, it`s flat i think

i was ride to 黄龙溪 once

Participant

How’re the hills on this route? Is that Jacob in the middle of rape?

It’s for the most part flat.  In the country side there are a few hills, but no long or strenuous climbs.

And yes, that’s me taking a leak in the rapeseed.

Participant

Cool article. I will be taking orders on my handmade bikes shortly 🙂
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/04/americas-rebel-band-of-custom-bike-builders/360058/

Participant

This post made me sorry i bought a scooter 🙂

Participant

Cool article. I will be taking orders on my handmade bikes shortly :) http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/04/americas-rebel-band-of-custom-bike-builders/360058/

Speaking of hand built bikes, we just found our way into an American mountain biking magazine regarding our building bamboo bikes.  Here some screenshots:

Looks up Switchback mountain bike on google and you can get access to a free digital copy if you’re interested in a read!

Participant

This post made me sorry i bought a scooter :)

To be honest, we are sorry you bought a scooter too.

Participant

A link to the Switchback article.

Participant

hi guys, how`s trip?

Participant

hi guys, how`s trip?

Great!  Thanks to everyone who made it out.

A few photos from the ride…

Participant

This ride was great. Beautiful weather and good exercise. Hope this becomes a regular event.

Participant

Participant

My favourite picture from the trip. (May or may not be upside down.)

Participant

Last month the first Sunday countryside ride organized by Natooke成都 was a great success.  So here comes the May version.

Saturday May 3rd, we will be heading west from the city center for a 55km loop starting and finishing at Natooke成都.  We will meander through some of suburbs to the west of Chenggu, briefly ride atop a short green-way heading towards Wenjiang (温江), passing through and enormous, nearly vacant “Intangible Cultural Heritage Exhibibition Center”.  Somewhere along the way we will stop for a bite to eat before heading back to the shop around 3pm.

Anyone interested in participating should arrive at Natooke成都 by 9:30am and we will set out by 10am.  The event is free and should take about 4 hours or so.  We recommend each person or group has an inner tune repair kit/pump among them in the event of a puncture.

Natooke成都: Xiaotian East Street 3-26; 小天东街3号附26号

Rental bicycles are available!!

Participant

It’s back!  This Sunday.  Arrive at Natooke at 9:30.  We leave at 10:00 a.m. sharp!

Expect about 45 kilometers.  Most of the roads are smooth and well-paved but we’ll be taking a detour through 十陵森林公园 on the East side of town.  Roads there might get a little bumpy!

There’s a nice lake and field (check out the photos!) where we’ll stop for a picnic.  So bring a little something to eat and something to sip on.  We’ll then head back and try to wrap up around 1:30.

Again, we advise you bring the necessary tools and a pump to do repairs or patch a flat on the fly.  Safety equipment — helmets, gloves, and the like — always recommended.

Don’t have a bike?  Book one of our rentals in advance!

Smooth trails!

Participant

Here are some photos from yesterday’s trip to Shiling Forest Park.  The weather was great and the air not too bad.  We went out in full force with Jacob manning our new banana boat, complete with everyone’s stuff and a PB&J picnic lunch.

The next ride will be Sunday, June 1st (Dragon Boat Festival holiday) and we’ll explore the scenic Shuangliu Greenway.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.