Famous Local Clothing Brands

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFamous Local Clothing Brands

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

For 7 months in China still didn’t figure out which local brands are considered to be recognized, upscale – applies both for clothes and shoes. International brands could be a way too costly in China. Probably it’s time to switch to Chinese ones – but which ones?

Regards.

You’re not still buying clothes for the brand name are you?

Look for quality and perfect fit. One advantage of being in China is that you can find tailored clothes for cheap. Look for the Beijing tailor to come back to Chengdu soon and get some custom clothes done.

Most Chinese people are clueless about fashion if not evident from just seeing what people are wearing outside.

Participant
    Quote:
    You’re not still buying clothes for the brand name are you?

Might sound stupid, but I do. Of course at the same time quality and the way it fits plays the same important role.

Quote:
    Look for the Beijing tailor to come back to Chengdu soon and get some custom clothes done.

Some more information, could you?

Participant
    Quote:
    Some more information, could you?

Info on the event: March 17th – Tailor Made Chengdu

Keymaster
    Quote:
    For 7 months in China still didn’t figure out which local brands are considered to be recognized, upscale – applies both for clothes and shoes. International brands could be a way too costly in China. Probably it’s time to switch to Chinese ones – but which ones?

Imported brands are recognized and upscale, domestic brands are cheap, poor quality, and looked down upon. This is a generalization, but that is basically the situation.

There are some exceptions though, boutique local brands like YEP and D3F which are both street fashion clothing lines. They basically emulate American independent lifestyle brands like Mishka, Crooks & Castles, Supreme, Undefeated, The Hundreds, etc.

YEP in particular is tied to a lot of local culture though, like the well known graffiti artist Gas and basically all of the gigging rappers in Chengdu.

YEP’s official website | YEP on Weibo

Some of their hats:

yephats.jpg

Run along to D3F if you don’t mind paying premium for potentially fake product! Oh China! Beware ’boutique’ stores carrying an array of brands in Chengdu, the majority of them are stocking hokey goods.

Some of the Chinese sports brands like ‘Lining’ are of decent quality, especially if you compare to much of Nike’s output, which is often less than stellar on the QC. I’m not necessarily about the ‘brand’ myself, but there’s something about these Chinese brands I can’t buy into. What’s more there are many Sports ‘Superstores’ that sell end of line and previous season’s gear for big discount. One such store is YY Sports on Chunxi. Head up to the second floor and you’ll find the actual YY store selling a massive array of sneakers, jackets, tees, and other bits and pieces.

Other notable Chinese brands like Septwolves and Bosideng are of higher ‘quality’, and are in fact popular among many Chinese. Septwolves in particular have big marketing spend and presence in China. What you will generally find with Chinese spending higher sums on clothing is that they will be buying commonplace Western brands, or going one step further and buying more obscure items from Japan & Korea. I’ve seen high end boutique stores in Chengdu selling Japanese designer clothing for insane prices. $400 T-Shirts anyone!?

Participant

Double Star is the laughing stock of Chinese sports shoes. I dont know why, cos i think theyre kinda retro cool, but most chinese guys would rather walk in shower slippers than be seen in Double Stars…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Run along to D3F if you don’t mind paying premium for potentially fake product! Oh China! Beware ’boutique’ stores carrying an array of brands in Chengdu, the majority of them are stocking hokey goods.

I agree. Paying a premium for that stuff is pretty crazy. Then again, it’s really for local youth who have cash and want to promote a local product. It’s cool that brands like YEP are creating something local, and a lot of their designs look good and “Chinese”, which I love. D3F, by comparison, seems to be entirely modeled on being a Western brand and on the surface there is nothing Chinese or local about it. The YEP hats I posted above a good example of a design that is both modern and clearly Chinese.

Quote:
    Double Star

LOL!! I’ve thought this myself, they’re kinda ‘Retro’, but in a Sunday Market in a Car Park kind of way. Double Star sneakers and a pair of ‘Joe Bloggs’ two tone jeans complete the look.

I really like the 飞 YEP hats. So much meaning and culture in that design. I’m gonna order one right now.

edit: hmm, buy 1 get 1 free promo. I don’t really understand the details on their site, anyone have a clue? Looks like, buy any product and get an older style tshirt free.

also, I think they were going for RAPPIN’CD, not RAPIN CD.

edit2: That promo is over, but if you spend over 200RMB you automatically become an unlimited member and get 20% off. YEP merchandise is also sold in Champagne Plaza first floor at Yasha and POWER stores.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.