Fast internet in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFast internet in Chengdu?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys,

Is there any place in Chengdu that has reliably fast internet that you know of? It can be a quiet coffee shop, a hotel, internet cafe or anywhere, I just need to know it will work! My university in Germany needs me to do a Q&A over Skype and my internet at home is definitely not reliable enough.

Any suggestions?

You might want to check out this thread for Wi-Fi locations.

Participant

Cheers Brendan! I missed this thread when I trawled the forum history 🙂

Participant

Okay, since I’m going to be doing a tour of all the wifi providing places in Chengdu for the hunt for the fastest speeds, I thought I’d document my experiences here in case anyone else is also interested. It’s basically a continuation of the sterling work that user Trudat did six months ago on the link Brendan posted above (here:“Costa Coffee at Raffles”).

— If the mods feel that this is stupidly repetitive of Trudat’s thread, let me know and I’ll cease and desist 🙂

So, starting with Pacific Coffee at Raffles, on B2:

Wifi name – ‘Pacific Coffee’ (password needed from your till receipt)

VPN used? – No

2670141483.png

Wifi name – ‘My_Wifi’ (password protected – have to ask the staff for access)

VPN used? – No

2670120936.png

Participant

Wow, I think we already found a winner. That is pretty decent download speed and latency for Chengdu.

Quote:
    Wow, I think we already found a winner. That is pretty decent download speed and latency for Chengdu.

The result isn’t surprising considering the server this China Unicom connection is being tested with is on China Unicoms network in Chengdu. Don’t know what the deal was with the first test though, possibly traffic shaping.

For this to be even close to a fair competition the same non-China based server should be used for each test. I would recommend a US west coast server. To be really fair, you should probably test against both a US and European server.

Participant

Hey Vincent – yeah, it’s pretty good! But I realise I was using a different network (‘My_Wifi) to the one normally available to customers (Pacific Coffee). When I arrived I couldn’t connect to Pacific Coffee, so the waiters hooked me up on the My Wifi connection. Later I tried out the Pacific Coffee network again (hence the edited post above) and it seems much slower than the My Wifi one…

Ben – I’ll try and work out how to test on a non-China server and update.

Participant

Okay! On paper the Pacific Coffee connection was pretty fast but using it I found that it seemed to drop a lot and I spent quite a lot of time staring at the spinning circle of eternal loading in Chrome. I am no where near tech savvy enough to offer a suggestion why though.

Re: Ben’s remark above about controlling for servers – due to aforementioned lack of tech savviness, the only way I know to make speedtest.net use a non-Chinese server is to use my VPN (Astrill), but then for some reason the speednet.com test failed to complete the upload speed test every time. So so far I’m not controlling for servers, but if anyone has any suggestions on this front then I am all ears.

Anyway, next up: Via Via Traveller’s Cafe on L3 of Raffles City (out on the plaza).

Wifi name: VIAVIA1 or VIAVIA2 (password protected, ask staff)

VPN used? No.

2670319960.png

Quote:
    Re: Ben’s remark above about controlling for servers – due to aforementioned lack of tech savviness, the only way I know to make speedtest.net use a non-Chinese server is to use my VPN (Astrill)

When you load speedtest.net by default it uses the server with the lowest ping. You can change server by dragging the green square on the map of the world to a different location then selecting a point from the zoomed in map above it before clicking “Begin Test”.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Okay, since I’m going to be doing a tour of all the wifi providing places in Chengdu for the hunt for the fastest speeds, I thought I’d document my experiences here in case anyone else is also interested. It’s basically a continuation of the sterling work that user Trudat did six months ago on the link Brendan posted above (here:”Costa Coffee at Raffles”).

That is a great endeavor. I would be happy to add the information you collect to each of the Chengdu Places listings. When you have enough places I can publish a post with your findings, something like “Fastest Public Wi-Fi Spots in Chengdu”.

Participant

@ben – thank you! I will use this way for future tests.

@Charlie – Cool! I will keep going in that case, but I don’t plan to test any Starbucks, Costa, etc. places since I’m pretty sure they’re going to be slow.

@ everyone – if anyone else is interested in chipping in with progress, please feel free to post speed findings on this thread. Just think, your contributions may save me being completely over-caffeinated for the rest of my time in Chengdu!

Quote:
    I would be happy to add the information you collect to each of the Chengdu Places listings.

An alphabetical Wi-Fi listing with stats would be an awesome resource.

Participant

Next up, The Bookworm.

In response to Ben’s suggestion I’ve used an overseas server and will continue to do so for the rest of the tests. I may go back and re-test the ones I’ve already done in Raffles, but it’s not high priority. For the record I’m using a London server because… I’m British. And America had too many billions of servers for me to be able to find the same one twice.

So, here goes:

Wifi name: Bookworm1 (Bookworm2 also available; both password protected)

VPN used? No

Server: London [hosted by Vodafone]

2672203019.png

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @Charlie – Cool! I will keep going in that case, but I don’t plan to test any Starbucks, Costa, etc. places since I’m pretty sure they’re going to be slow.

It seems that Pacific Coffee has been the fastest so far though (that is really fast download speed for a coffee shop here). I believe that the speed of Costa Coffee’s wi-fi speed might have been tested by Trudat in the previous wi-fi speed thread.

Participant

Okay, KaffeStugen has the most incredible consumables so far. Here’s the wifi news:

Wifi name: KAFFESTUGAN (KAFFESTUGEN. is also available; password available from staff)

VPN used? No

Server: London [hosted by Vodafone]

2672515016.png

Participant

Today I’m in 台湾美乐利, a coffee shop on the second floor of the complex at the gate of Sichuan Normal University. Obscure location but I live around these parts, so you’re getting them all.

Wifi name: 3 (password available from the staff)

VPN used? No

Server: London (hosted by Vodafone).

2676210448.png

Participant

I’m still hanging around the coffee shops at the entrance to Sichuan Normal University. Today I’m on the 4th floor at a place that I think is called Love Coffee.

Wifi name: loveyou (password available from the staff)

VPN used? No

Server: London (hosted by Vodafone)

2684479027.png

Participant

More coffee shops outside Sichuan Normal University? No honest, this is probably going to be the last of them in this location… That said, I’m at U&M on the second floor of the complex just outside SNU’s big gate.

Wifi name: U&M COFFEE (password from the staff)

VPN used? No

Server: London (hosted by Vodafone)

2684749426.png

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.