Fireworks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is it legal to pop fireworks in Chengdu during Chinese New Year? Just wondering what to expect as this will be our first ChunJie in the city and we have small kids. People said its deafening, but that there aren’t the normal fireworks sellers out this year.

Keymaster

The laws really seem to change every year here so it’s difficult to get an idea of what’s allowed and what’s not! A few years ago, fireworks weren’t legal inside of third ring road (if I remember correctly), so you’d have to go way out to get fireworks. People still shot them off inside the city, but it wasn’t “allowed”. Then, last year, they obviously reversed that law so fireworks were for sale everywhere in Chengdu from tents on the street. I’m not sure what the deal is this year, but either way I’d expect there to be tons of fireworks in the city.

On the first day of Chunjie it will be non-stop fireworks for hours and hours from all directions, that’s a virtual certainty.

Participant

Thanks, Charlie. Just asked our ayi. She said she saw fireworks on sale on the street yesterday. Should be interesting to see how much more fireworks there are here during Chunjie as compared to Hawaii (where I’m from) at New Years.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.